Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
A perfect hiking trip in these troubled times

When Ondrej ( the owner of Rajec Travel ) wrote us an email that travel in Slovakia is possible... read more

Reviewed 25 July 2021
frankbK3551PZ
Tour of a Lifetime

In 2018, I visited Slovakia with my sister to do some research into our family history. At that... read more

Reviewed 10 January 2020
basilb451
Leaf River, Illinois

All reviews family history fantastic tour slovak culture sense of humour driver company slovakia politics countries roots
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 October 2019 via mobile

We booked a one day tour from Kosice to find my grandmother's ancestry. I sent them info I had found. Jarka promptly found local resources and contacts. They offered a visit to the state archives in Presov, which we elected to do. We agreed to meet our guide at a Kosice hotel at 7 am.

Our guide, Andre, arrived at 7 am and we were off. The car was a late model Ford mini-SUV. Andre was knowledgeable, polite, and spoke good English. A 1-hour drive to the Presov archive. There he helped communicate with the archivist, and helped search though reels of microfilm birth and marriage records. Afterward we drove to Vranov for a great lunch of Slovak food. Andre provided great narration and answered questions all along the way.

After lunch we drove to the small town of my grandparents. We went by churches, cemeteries, and the town city hall. There they had arranged to meet the town mayor and a local possible relative. Andre was an essential translator / go-between through all of this. We compared family trees, but there was some missing info. They
arranged to meet a local priest to view church records, but we could not find connecting info.

After a long 9-10 hour day Andres dropped us back at our hotel. The tour was a little pricey, but definitely worth it. There was no other way to accomplish so much in one day. Andres and Jarka were great, and I would definitely recommend Rajec to anyone looking for ancestors in eastern Slovakia.

Date of experience: October 2019
2  Thank RickDad
Reviewed 13 July 2019

The best we can expect.
we were hiking 6 days with Jarka and Petar and we enjoyed every moment.
the logistic was excellent as well

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank ilang379
Reviewed 9 July 2019

Fantastic guide. I really enjoyed my day trip with Rajec Travel. The whole experience was trouble free from first contact. The company was flexible in listening to me when designing itinerary. I was met at the Poprad train station and dropped to Kosice. I would definitely recommend services of Rajec trae el to anyone and considering taking further trips when I am next in Slovakia

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank Oxana T
Reviewed 7 July 2019

3 sisters 65+. Private tour.
Rajec is well worth recommending. It is a professional, competent family business. Excellent website was easy to follow and payment hassle free.
Enquiries were answered promptly with email by Jarca, resulting in a tailor made itinery according to our interests. Pick up from our hotel was smooth. Ondrej was our guide. He was excellent, very responsible with safety, knowledgeable and informed us well. He was flexible and adjusted hikes to our capabilities on the day. The accommodation was in the picturesque town of Starý Smokovec. It was comfortable and we all had views of the mountains. Our host Marcella was friendly, helpful and presented delicious breakfasts. Ondrej provided us with wonderful memories of Slovakia, its people and its countryside. It is s highly professional company and we give it our highest recommendations. You won’t be disappointed with Rajec Travel.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank DJV81
Reviewed 7 July 2019

We were a group of six who'd been walking in the Tatras for a couple of weeks and wanted to do a bit of exploring in the area before heading home, in particular to visit Spiss Castle. We'd looked at options and decided to give Rajec Travel a go. Really pleased that we did as we really enjoyed our day trip. Ondrej was a terrific guide, very knowledgeable with a friendly disposition and very flexible. Not only did he take us to the places outlined in the tour program, he added points of interest along the way. And at the end of the day, was happy to drop groups of us at a different venues to facilitate our onward journeys. Would certainly recommend.

Date of experience: June 2019