“impressive and expensive”

Ranked #36 of 206 Dessert in Budapest
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: The best cafe in the world! Experience traditional flavors and typical Hungarian dishes or enjoy elegant international cuisine.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I actually discovered this place by coincidence on my first day but I am glad I did. What an impressive café with live music, which plays gently in the background. Truthfully one of the most stunning places to enjoy a coffee or cocktail (almost the same price €7 for a coffee and €9 for a cocktail). It is definitely very expensive so be ready to pay a little fortune just for a short while. I also had pasta which tasted OK but not spectacular especially since the pasta was extremely undercooked, but I guess this place is not exactly there to have a meal and if so maybe only for one of these beautiful looking little desserts.
Unfortunately the service was not good at all as they seemed to have been extremely overwhelmed and everything took a very long time, from ordering to paying

NYC_director, Vendégkapcsolati vezető at New York Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Guest!

I would like to thank you for your review and helping us to improve continuously.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,409)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were recommended by some friends to visit the New York Cafe, to be honest I looked at the menu and wasn't sure as it looked quite expensive. Anyway we decided to go as sometimes you just have to do these things!. Well we were all amazed when we walked in. Wow! Such grandeur, it really is an amazing building with such beautiful decor.
We were seated straight away, and service was good. We had 2 teas a coffee and a cold drink and each had a cake of some sort. It was lovely, but quite expensive (around £70).
I could only compare it to having afternoon tea at the Ritz, where you would expect to pay that kind of money anyway.
We really enjoyed the experience and it was lovely listening to the 4 musicians play whilst we ate.
I would definitely recommend a visit here.

Dear Guest!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Initially while lining up with hordes of tourists, mostly Chinese... I thought this was going to be quite the tourist trap ripoff... Boy was I wrong! The ambience is super amazing along with the beautiful decor. Constant live piano accompaniment, with a band playing Hungarian classics! Hungarian coffee was the best in the city and the gulas was so classy and refined...paprika soup with trout was fantastic!! Worth the lines, the wait and all the other tourists taking selfies... Just make sure you get someone to take your picture!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our restaurant.
We are glad that you were content.
We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Waited around 10 mins for a table and were sat at a nice table by the window and near the staircase where the orchestra played. I had nice but v expensive coffee (£6) and nice over priced cake (£7). My friends had a hot chocolate which was so thick and filling they struggled to eat their cakes.
Gorgeous inside and the orchestra and pianist were lovely. Worth a visit but take lots of cash. Service charge was pretty huge too.

NYC_director, Vendégkapcsolati vezető at New York Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our restaurant.
We are glad that you were content.
Looking forward to your next visit

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We have visited this place because of very special view and atmosphere, The lunch menu is interesting, the quality was good (it is not a surprise for Budapest most places). the price is high for Budapest but certainly reasonable for high-rated cafe. unfortunately, the service is very average - if not less. After order, they "split" it between some garsons and it leads to miss-matching in service. For example, we have waited for 20 min. for dessert after coffee we asked to bring together...Only after intervation of responsible person we have received it (extra 7 min to wait...)

Dear our Guest,

Thank you, for your comment - every opinion helps us, to make our profession better and better.