“Very nice hotel for a weekend break”

Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
Ranked #27 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the New York Palace on 14 - 16 October and had a very nice break. We'd paid for the room (excluding breakfast) in advance and turned up on the Friday at about 2pm. The staff checked to see if our room was ready, and when hey were iformed it wasn't put us into another room on the 2nd floor which they said was even nicer.

The room was beautiful - there was lots of space and a lovely large bath in the bathroom. I had no problem with the temperature of the room, but could hear traffic outside. However it wasn't loud enough to bother us. The bed was amazingly comfortable and gave us an awesome night's sleep.

Location wise the hotel is right next to a metro stop, and trams 4 and 6 go past the hotel north to south to connect up to another metro line.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel (20 euros, which seemed a bit pricey for us, though you could eat off the a la carte menu). We did eat in the New York cafe and had a very nice meal of pork/chicken breast supreme with lovely local beers (and got 10% off with the Budapest card - see below). Next time we'd like to have a drink in the cigar bar.

We spent a time in the spa downstairs which included a sauna and steam room, small exercise pool with jacuzzi jets and a gym area.

Overall a lovely stay in the hotel and we'd definitely stay there again. Top tip: buy a Budapest card at the airport when you arrive - for 48/72 hours you get free public transport and discounts off many attractions/restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,624)

Reviewed 17 October 2011

This hotel was booked for a business trip and I wish I had more time to spend in it! The hotel is beautiful, the staff really professional and helpful. My room was stunning (7th floor) with a bath in the middle! but my colleague's room was even more stunning (2nd floor), with a massive entrance hall, giant bedroom and huge bathroom. I did not use the restaurant though. I am planning to go back to Budapest and will not hesitate to book this hotel again.

1  Thank Carina1601
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The Boscolo has been beautifully restored and once you walk into the lobby you realise you are entering a very special place. Look up and the glass canopy covers the ceiling, with beautiful orante columns circulating the huge central space. The receptionist aea is very modern and efficiently serviced.The area is not the best in Budapest but is within 10 minutes to everything in the city.

The room I had was huge and unusual on the 2nd floor. The entrance, leather lined walls with a view of the bathroom (Yes!), is huge, and leads into the bedroom area which is large and roomy with big french windows and eclectic Italian heavy furniture. The star is the humungous all white marble bathroom which must be one of the best this side of the Atlantic.

There are other treats as well. The bar is cosy, and well serviced by a great bartender Norbert, as is the amazing Cafe with its fin de siecle decore with rich guilded columns and painted murals.

Save your money and stay at the Boscolo!

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the Junior Suites are just amazing!
2  Thank CanadianThunders
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed at BH for a business trip for 5 days. Overall my experience is that it is 1 - not worth a penny spent, 2- never for my own expense !
Now, more details
Arrival: the reception is a designer dream (clerks are staying at a round table with laptops - I even see how it was sold to the hotel "round table makes the conversation more friendly!) but I think I would prefer a normal desk - first I do not want to see what the clerk is doing in his pc when he is checking me in/out, secondly it is better when the mess they have on the tables is hidden by the desk and not shown to the world. (my card was almost mixed with another men's one !).
Now to the room: I was put into a new wing and the room was very big but absolutely faceless. The best designer thing was the bathroom - in fact there is no bathROOM there is a bath almost in front of the entrance door without any cover or door or smth - so if you are taking a shower and a floor maid wants to check the minibar she will check much more !!!;) and there is no escape !!! The shower in itself is a concept and you cannot be showering in the concept ! you have a rain shower from the ceiling (it is really rain - you get a drop by drop and you are not in water, you are wet and as there is no closed space you get cold soon. Well you can use a super tube which is hardly 1 meter long and is similar o what they use to wash in Thai 1 star bungalows ... So - nightmare ! Wish to be back home o get a warm shower after these days !
Room (more) - very hot and ventilation is poor, if you open the window it becomes noisy like he'll ! More nice things - I used minibar and they never stocked it up after. They have atea cattle but you do not have a plain water except for a tap one. No hotel directory and the one on tv says just that it is the best hotel :)
Restaurant and bar is ok but I wish to have some choice in five-star venue !
Location is mediocre - other big brands have better.
Some more fun - I was asking for an iron for three (!) days and every day they old me that all irons are occupied, I asked how can I get my suit pressed and they said that I can give it to them at 8 am and get it back same day by 9 pm - what should I wear than ? A swimming dress ?
One day they simply forgot to clean the room ...

So, I can continue with all that but my recommendation will be - if you have a choice make it right, do not choose this funny place !

Room Tip: Check some other place !
4  Thank Jeepie
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Our room was one of the nicest in Europe. There was no view and the location of the hotel is away from the tourist sites which is not a problem if you know the tram/metro system. However, we were not staying at the New York Palace as tourists but as a couple to get away from it all and for this is was perfect. In fact, it was hard to leave the room and there was absolutely no reason to leave the hotel. The Cigar Bar and Cafe are wonderful. My only complaint is the "funky" registration area. I suppose it is meant to appear modern, but comes across messy and disorganized. Keep the beautiful decor and put the computers, files, printers, and many, many papers behind a counter!

Room Tip: Pay in advance and use the extra money to upgrade. It is definitely worth it!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple