“Classy yet hearty dishes, top-notch hosting”
Review of Repeta Home Dining

Repeta Home Dining
Ranked #2,044 of 3,654 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Cuisines: European, Deli, Hungarian, Eastern European, Central European, Contemporary, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: The apartment of my grandfather, its atmosphere remembering us the XXth century and my talent for cooking, these made Repeta Private Dining born. We use high quality fair trade materials. Tradition and modernity meets in our cooking philosophy, mixing flavours, wines, this brings us something new, something unrepetable.
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I took my co-workers and board members for an end-of-the-year dinner to Repeta. It was a real treat for the twelve of us and our taste buds. The prix fixe menu comprised five harmonious dishes, punctuated with matching wine selections and surprise hors d'oeuvres, all artfully presented, creative, and prepared fabulously. Chef Dani has a special ability to establish an instant rapport with his guests, helping them to get the most out of the experience, without at any point becoming a drag. The purposely dated decor evoking the atmosphere of a bygone Budapest adds to the special ambience created by the excellent food and the charming, witty, and unpretentious chef. I'll be sure to go back and would certainly recommend the place to anyone open to the home-dining experience.
Barnabas Malnay

1  Thank Barnabas M

Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

It was a great experience! Dani is a Great Shef! I am really happy that i've found this Jem. It was an awsom value for money, I can only say go for it!! Forgot, unique family atmospher, and real fine dining!!

1  Thank Mikisantoro
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The home restaurant scene is growing solidly in Budapest and Repeta is a great example of how to do it right. I need to start with a disclosure: I've been to pop-up restaurants before, but my only home restaurant experience is Repeta. But what a great experience it was!

My father turned 60 and he wanted a nice cosy place to celebrate it. Since all my friends were raving about Repeta and I knew the chef more or less we decided to give it a go. We had a mixed crowd, from 30 to 80 year old with a few vegetarians and Dani (the owner/chef) clearly surpassed everyone's expectation.

We got a warm welcome and good selection of locally sourced (or home made) palinka (hungarian shot, works well as an appetizer) to choose from. After settling we explored the charming and cozy flat, which is well preserved and speaks of the good old days. Must be a family heritage. And the best part comes only after that. And it's the food. Appetizer, soup and so on, it's all build up nicely. Everything is really tasty and creative, all around superb quality. The veggie option is also a very useful treat, no one feels left out. Also, all course comes with the matching wine, to make the experience even better.

When we finished with the 6 or 7 courses, everyone was stuffed and delighted. But coffee and aperitif was already on the way.

I think it was much better than going to a restaurant for several reasons. It feels much more like a private party and it gives a great atmosphere. No strangers around, no waiters bugging you. The chef stayed in the background, but he was happy to tell us about the dishes when we asked. I do advise you to make him talk, the food tastes better if you no the story behind it. :-)

I would definitely advise to visit and I'll be coming back when I'm in town next time. It's ideal for a friendly or family happening, but I guess it's also fun to join the table of strangers, I'm sure the place attracts a good crowd.

1  Thank MikeTWH
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I went with 12 friends to Dani's flat restaurant for a dinner. It's in the center of Pest but a bit tricky to find the flat in the block. It's a cosy home but was not in use when I've been there. It was his grandfather's flat and you can see pictures of the family and hear stories of grandpa's amazing life.

Expect a proper dinner experience: I failed to count how many courses we had, maybe 7 or 8? The courses were just coming and coming with a surprisingly good timing, especially if you consider that Dani was the only one serving.. And he even had time to explain the meals, talk about the unique french salt he used, how to make the consume or telling market shopping tips.

And each dish was a fantastic piece of art. My Italian friend told that the food was better than he had in the Michelin starred restaurant in London a few weeks earlier. I can't agree more.

There is only one thing to be aware of: be careful with the wild garlic snaps if you go out afterwards :)

3  Thank P P