Open today: 10:00 - 18:00

Book in advance
from
US$7.36
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience House of Terror Museum
from US$7.36
from US$51.73
from US$30.55
10,788 results
All reviews audio guide english subtitles soviet occupation subject matter hungarian history eye opening arrow cross world war sheets basement torture dolls exhibits information hungarians prison interview
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 September 2019 via mobile

Visited the museum with very little knowledge, in hope to be more educated. Wrong. If you’re clueless or have little knowledge of the Hungarian communist and nazi regimes, get clued up first. There isn’t any English on the artefacts so didn’t know what I was looking at. However, there were A4 sheets with information, but if I wanted to read loads, I would have bought a book and read up on the subject. So this leads me say it would probably be better to get the audio tour, which, if I was to return, I would definitely do.

3  Thank graciemac84
Reviewed 11 September 2019

A trip to Budapest wouldn't be complete without a visit to this museum. I was a bit concerned initially as it's a busy museum and the audio headsets in English were all out by the time we arrived (before Noon). The Museum curators did a great service by printing interpretative summaries on paper in both English and Hungarian for each room that you can pick up and read. We found this to be very helpful as it provided information and context we all needed and we could experience the museum quietly among others and at our own pace. Yes, it's dark and sad. No photos allowed - which is appropriate. It has a small and pleasant cafe.

2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 10 September 2019 via mobile

We used the English language guides available in most rooms. The tour is not quite linear - timeline wise. The videos all have English subtitles and that helps to give the self-guided tour some depth. But continue on to the end, making sure you take the elevator from the second floor down to the basement. By the end you get a good sense of Hungary during the Soviet era.

1  Thank douge456
Reviewed 9 September 2019

This was an very informative and moving.
They didn't have any English audio packs so it was a lot of reading A4 pages which meant we didn't learn a lot towards the end as it was a little too much to take in a read.
The staff were friendly.

1  Thank Deborah J
Reviewed 9 September 2019

I really looked forward to going to this museum as I thought it would be a thought provoking education on the Nazi and Communist occupations of Hungary. If I hadn’t have known beforehand what the museum was about, I really wouldn’t have had the faintest idea from just looking round it. It is designed so that you move from one room to another, each with a different theme. Unfortunately I could never quite work out what the themes were as all the audios, visuals and ‘artefacts’ were in Hungarian. The staff were beyond rude and in fact quite scary at times (I’m not sure whether this was part of the ‘experience’). It all seemed to be one big abstract art installation rather than a museum of interest. Don’t bother. No, really don’t.

2  Thank litten654