“A fabulous Winter break”

B & B Bellevue Budapest
Ranked #7 of 192 Budapest B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A fabulous Winter break”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Bellevue was a great place to stay for our long weekend winter break in Budapest.

Judit and Lajos gave us some good tips on eating, visiting and the practicalities of a few days in their city. This was really helpful and allowed us to make the most of our time.

Our room was comfortable and really big. Also the whole house was lovely and warm to come back to after a day of sightseeing, also nice to be able to make a cup of tea and relax in the breakfast room if we wanted. It was a relaxing place to stay and we enjoyed chatting over breakfast and discussing the plans for the day ahead!

A really great value place to stay with the added bonus of a warm welcome and some great hints and tips.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gaily1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I had to restrain myself from writing this glowing review after my first night at B&B Bellevue, because I knew there were more great things to write about through the rest of my stay. But first, a disclaimer: My experience is atypical and should not be taken as a promise on behalf of the proprietors of B&B Bellevue to provide a similar service. That said, my first visit to Budapest and Hungary was made even more special because I stayed at B&B Bellevue. From the time I sent an e-mail inquiring about availability to when the airport shuttle collected me to take me to the airport, I felt that this trip was more like a visit with family than a touristy one.

Judit was very thorough with the pre-arrival information, including options for transportation and what to expect with regards to B&B’s amenities. I especially appreciated the information on where my room was located and the fact that there was no lift, so I was able to pack accordingly and take the appropriate luggage. I am posting a photo of the stairs to give other travelers an idea of what they look like, as the stairs might be challenging for oversized luggage. Upon arrival, I was given a comprehensive orientation by both Judit and Lajos to B&B Bellevue and the neighborhood – how to open the windows ( to best take tripod photos of Parliament); how to get English language on TV; telephone and internet access; how to get to the Metro station; which bus to take; and locations of recommended restaurants and other services in the neighborhood (money exchange, grocer, etc.) I was a bit apprehensive to learn that I was the only one staying at the B&B and that Judit and Lajos did not live there, but I was reassured that they were only a phone call away if I needed anything. I soon appreciated the peace and solitude of having the place to myself, but looked forward to seeing Judit, Lajos and Itsa (sp?), the housekeeper, in the mornings. Judit also gave me a copy of the opera schedule and marked on a map the places I expressed an interest in visiting. Following the thorough orientation after my arrival, I accepted Judit’s invitation to join her and Lajos for a late lunch/early dinner at a local place nearby. Roma Etelbar (http://hovamenjek.com/i-kerulet/roma-etelbar.html) on Csalogany utca is what many would describe as a “hole-in-the-wall,” the kind of place that served authentic local cuisine, and it did not disappoint. My first Hungarian meal was a chicken and sausage dish that Judit and Lajos ordered for me, as limited English was spoken at Roma Etelbar. I was quite happy with my meal, and sad that I didn’t get a chance to return to Roma Etelbar after that night. After dinner, Lajos dropped me off at Batthyany ter, where I could change money and get snacks from Spar, and purchase a 7-day transport pass at the Batthyany ter Metro station. Armed with the thorough directions from Judit, I was able to get back to B&B Bellevue in the dark using the tram and bus #16. Breakfast at B&B Bellevue begins at 8:30 a.m. and Judit was there every morning. I enjoyed chatting with her and Lajos about Budapest, the things I wanted to do as a tourist, family, and a variety of other subjects that breakfast was often an hour long. I never felt it was a waste of time or that it cut into my planned tourism activities, as that time spent with Judit and Lajos was an important part of my Budapest experience. Reading other reviews, I’m glad I came during the off-peak season and didn’t have to share them with other guests. When I checked out, Judit packed me a picnic breakfast, as the airport shuttle picked me up early.

B&B Bellevue is located just below Halaszbastya (Fisherman’s Bastion). Access to this and Matyas-Templom (Matthias Church) involves just a short walk from the B&B up the stairs (past the relief of Mansfield Peter). The quiet street where the B&B is on and the general residential area gave me a feel of being part of a real Budapest neighborhood, versus being a tourist looking in. I felt at home almost immediately. I highly recommend B&B Bellevue and will stay here again when I return to Budapest.

Room Tip: Consider the size and weight of your luggage if you have a room in the upper floors, as there is no...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank CCC_wanderlust
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We selected this B& B based on the ratings in Trip Advisor and they are very well deserved. From booking the room to advice on how to get there from the airport Judit and Lajos have thought of everything. The location was perfect. We had a short walk each day down the cobble stoned stairs to restaurants, transport and a supermarket. We had a little fridge in our room to keep our water and fruit cold but could also go into the kitchen to make ourselves a cup of tea. We had an early start one morning and would have missed breakfast so Judit packed us a picnic and even added a little gift when we mentioned how much we liked eating Turo Rudis. Judit even lent us a Rick Steve guide for the length of our stay. Fantastic, Highly Recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 255333Sue
Caledon
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Great place to stay in central Buda just below the church. Judit and Andras were wonderful guides to help plan our visit each morning at breakfast. The room was large, quiet, comfortable and clean.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John W
CanonCan
Reviewed 11 January 2012

It's hard to enthuse enough about this B&B. Its location, just below the Fishermans' Bastion and close to great cafes, restaurants and the Danube, is perfect for exploring Buda. Judit and Lajos were generous, amazingly helpful and very kind to our 16 month old son. Coffee, tea, fruit, milk and so on were available 24 hours a day. Our room was huge, spotless and very comfortable, and breakfast was delicious. The second part of our stay in Budapest was at Judit and Lajos' son's apartment in Pest (also a perfect place) - Lajos generously drove us over in his car. Fantastic!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family