All reviews central market great location liberty bridge hard boiled eggs double windows breakfast room night stay in budapest single room apartment building first floor great market quiet street salami top floor metro station vaci street within walking distance
Reviewed 4 May 2018

I was totally amazed by the hotel. the room was overwhelming in its size and beauty. the furniture was old and authentic. every item was decorated with Hungarian embroidery. the double windows overlooking the street were spectacular. the first impression was incredible and overwhelming. having said that- the room was very noisy! the street is noisy. I would insist on a room overlooking the garden. there was a heat wave and I couldn't open the windows because of the noise. they gave me a fan, which saved the day. Not recommended in the summer at all.

the breakfast was very basic, could be better-hardboiled eggs, bread that was not the freshest and the toaster was slow, one didn't work at all. the coffee was not good . luckily they have a coffee machine for espresso. but for instance there were no extra mugs for tea, so you had to use your same mug for coffee and for tea. small things like that which made the breakfast very rudimentary.
The mattress was hard. the toiletries were very basic.
I saw an AC in the living room, there was no remote so I couldn't use it. there is no AC in the bedroom. the AC was a very small unit that wouldn't be efficient for the entire suite in my opinion.
the location is just outside the city center, not in the city center. this is an advantage in my opinion. it is less tacky and touristy and I prefer a hotel that is convenient but not in the hub of all the tourists. the St. Gellert thermal baths are walking distance. the Kalvin metro is around the corner. there is a bus from the airport that goes to that station- 100E- which is an advantage. there is good transportation from the hotel and it is 20 -30 minutes by foot to the major sights. so we were happy with the location, the ambience and the room. but I would not in any way book a room there in the summer.
other hotels have AC and have a buffet for breakfast with hot and cold food. I had the chance to compare.

Room Tip: insist on a room overlooking the garden. the street is very noisy
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Welcomed by very friendly receptionist.The rooms are clean,comfortable and individually furnished,as with the communal rooms.The hotel is situated within walking distance of main attractions,with restaurants and mini market very close by.
Breakfast is help yourself buffet style ,with a good selection ,and more than adequate.
The only downside is no tea/coffee facilities in rooms and the t.v.has no English channels.However,we were too busy sightseeing for this to worry us.

Room Tip: Four floors,served with lift.Situated in a quiet street.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2018

The hotel is ideally located, reasonably priced and the rooms are large, comfortable and clean. The breakfast is nothing special but will do. The staff are welcoming and nice with a 24 h open reception.
Recommendable. We stayed for 4 nights.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Logica_2248
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Great location. Substantial buffet breakfast. Within walking distance to many landmarks. Very helpful staff. Unique bedrooms. Our room had a balcony with table & 2 chairs. Near to all public transport.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2018

The room was amazingly large. Really loved the decorations and the height of the ceiling. It made us feel right at home. Elegant carpets everywhere, nicely painted walls and a reasonably large and clean bathroom.
As a bonus, the breakfast (which we only expected to be like an appetizer) was plentiful (comparable to something you would find at an all-inclusive resort). The staff always replenished anything that was missing. This left us with a very good impression as even though we arrived an hour before the end of the meal, we were able to eat the same things as the early arrivers. The quality of the food, coffee and orange juice was very good.
Another bonus point is the discreetness of the staff. There was no issue regarding when we paid the accommodation (we chose to do it in the beginning, though). We could leave our luggage when we checked out, which was also very helpful, as our train was a bit later.
The price was amazing, considering the time of year when we stayed here (30.12-2.01). I will definitely recommend Kalvin House to anyone wanting to spend a few nights in Budapest.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple