Hungarian Technical and Transportation Museum
Ranked #204 of 483 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This place is temporarily closed due to renovation. Trace the history of Hungarian railways, shipping and the development of the modern car and motorcycle through scale models, interesting exhibits, films and lectures.
Reviewed 2 March 2015 via mobile

When you visit an another country it's not your first idea to visit a transport museum however I found it pretty interesting so we decided to give it a try. It looks a bit abandoned from the outside however this should not put you down, they have an extensive and interesting collection they transport lovers must see. Also the ticket is unbelievably cheap something like 500 or 800ft (2£). The staff is very kind as well, so I recommend to visit it.

1  Thank Adam G

Reviewed 22 February 2015

Having read so many negative reviews on here, I was in two minds whether to go. I'm so glad I did. Fascinating place! One floor devoted to trains, of the old fashioned variety and you can even go into the carriages. Then we have old fashioned horse-drawn carriages, an upper floor devoted to ships and a room full of cars going through the ages from about 1916 to present day. Also an incredible Collection of motor-cycles following a similar era. The staff I found to be most pleasant and helpful.I've seen some other reviews regarding the staff but speak as you find. Some other reviews I find hard to understand though. One thought they were going to a Classic car Collection (there is actually a brilliant one on the outskirts) but it's a transport museum, they can't fit everything in. Lack of English. Well unless you are train buff (then you probably know them anyway) does it matter to the uninitiated? Just look and admire them. On a discount it cost me about £2. Great place, great Price.

2  Thank PeterDane
Reviewed 17 February 2015

Visited the museum, large and spacious with many exhibits, the only problem I couldn't read the information cards as they are 99% in hungarian, the only English information I found was on an old washing machine and Hoover.

Very disappointed, won't be going back.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

Argh, where to start..

Ok; bit of an intro. My girlfriend and I decided to visit this museum a few days ago (Jan 2015) and... to anyones standard, enthusiast or not, it's terrible. Being a massive fan of classic cars my girlfriend thought, ah! TRANSPORT museum! See some historic cars and some trains etc. he'll like that!

First stop was the trains. These were amazing. The trains are in great condition and restored beautifully. You can even sit in a vintage carriage! Awesome. All down hill from here i'm afraid...

Past this point, it's very boring. Has a whole section for houses in the ye' old days. WHY!? Why is there vintage vacuum cleaners, furniture and dummies having dinner in mock-houses? "In the 1830s; people used to cook cabbages in these pots whilst the children helped prepare the potatoes..." Sorry; WHAT!? Where am i? Yes, there is Chinese oriental furniture exhibition, i kid you not..

Upstairs has some interesting engineering. I was drawn straight to a big ol' differential from some old truck. Was cut open to expose the ring gears, GREAT! Within about 20 seconds of explaining to my gf how it works, a lone female member of staff comes shuffling over; "NO HANDS! No HANDS!!.. No No". Bare in mind, i did not touch it at all. Hands were close but, no contact at all. I explained to her, "Yes, okay.. No problem i won't". This rude women FOLLOWED us around the whole section constantly warning us; "No hands!". After my gf pointed (yes.. 1m gap between her finger and the wheel of an old bicycle) and this women shouting at her; "No!..." I was at boiling point! Absolutely furious! Museum was EMPTY (only me and gf in whole place) and was followed around like a bad smell.

Went down stairs to escape this horrid staff member and found a hand crank-able piston system. Spin the wheel and watch the movement. In about 4 diff languages it read clearly "try it!" So.... YES I WILL! Looks fun!. Annnnnd was told off by another member of staff "Only look! No hands! No hands!" Arghhhh!!!! Ready to leave now and not a car in sight!!

On way out in a huff and spot the CARS! Awww yes, Bingo! If you do visit, let me give you an idea of what treats you're in for as a car lover. Ok, you walk in and you spot an original blue Ford Model T. Hmmm lovely, you turn 90 degreees annnnnd... A '99 Audi TT. Hmmm. Ok, you spot an old coach-build Peugeot older than jesus annnnnd, your eyes drawn to the '96 Vauxhall Astra. Sod this. It's like a vintage car shipments fallen off a ship ontop of a Tesco carpark. Yes, FALLEN, the cars are very poorly cared for. Very old 6ltr Soviet limo sits proud apart from her steering wheel is broken off and bits of it are left on the drivers seat, the paintworks been keyed and polished with wire wool (not exaggerating) and the tyres are absolutely perished, hanging off the rims. Poor old girl :-( all cars are dirty, tyres are wrecked, just... Aweful.

In conclusion; Cheap to enter. Amazing trains although, strangely alot of models :-/ staff are horrendous and bored so harass you. Place has MORE staff than customers. Staff have little to no linguistic skills (we speak English, German and Russian fluently between us and we could not communicate). Exhibitions are WAY out of context. Poor poor vintage cars are trashed. Honestly..... Don't visit. Terrible.

Cool black train on display for free at the front. Makes for a great photo.

2  Thank DazHarkz
Reviewed 30 September 2014

You can use a Budapest Card for discount there but the student ticket is cheaper (800 HUF). There are nice expositions of railway history in Hungary. But I missed more english or german translations here. I was really interested in trains but I could read nothing about it - all or most of the signs were Hungarian.