“Tea, cake and reading”

Price range: US$1 - US$3
Cuisines: American, Hungarian, Central European
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Let us introduce you the Massolit Books and Cafe Budapest. We’re specialized in popular and academic books, mostly at significantly reduced prices. Our aim is to stock books in subjects that are difficult to find in Eastern Europe, including progressive politics, gender studies, Jewish studies, and others. We also have a café that serves fresh baked quiches, cookies, carrot cake, brownies and different pastries, as well as direct trade coffee from Doubleshot, organic tea, local fruit juices. We’ve a peaceful garden area with fig trees around, which you can enjoy from spring until it doesn’t get too cold.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I absolutely love this place. Lots of books in English, great carrot cake and a cute little terrace out back. This is my favorite place to spend some time, read and relax. What an oasis

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Cafe with books or books with coffee? No matter this place is cute with old rickety chairs and walls of English language books. Fair prices and a variety of nibbles, I'll return again. BTW, the wifi is weak.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Massolit became my favorite place to start or finish my day during my trip to Budapest. During warm weather, the back patio is an oasis in this otherwise noisy part of town and, on rainy days, the cafe is cozy, with vintage (sometimes broken) furnishings and little nooks in which to hide away. The employees are book lovers and always have good recommendations of Hungarian and Jewish writers, although I do wish they had a larger selection of the former. The coffee is good and the carrot cake is out of this world—truly the best I've ever had. I miss nothing in Budapest more than this wonderful little shop!

Massolit, Manager at Massolit Books and Cafe in Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Deat SeattleFrances, thanks for the nice words, and we're glad that you like Massolit. Dome good news sbout the furniture: some chairs are replaced snd the armchairs will be fixed very soon. We're entering 600 books now, new titles for the Jewish studies as well,

hope to see you soon:)

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

I came to this bookstore as a friend's recommendation. It was a rainy and cold day and this place was the perfect spot to sit down and have a cup of coffee and a chocolate brownie. It tasted delicious. The attendant was an attentive young blond guy. You can ask him book recommendations and he'll gladly help.

Hello Filipe,
we're glad that you enjoyed your time at Massolit, and hope to see you soon:)

Reviewed 2 September 2017

I had a whole list of famous Hungarian writers. i was told to go to Massolit, a place I knew before, but neither Marai, nor Esterhazy, Nadas or Krasznahorkai was found in the Hungarian section. the girl was too engaged to help me. She didn't seem to me a (wo)man of letters.My short visit to Massolit ended up with killing a cockroach in the bathroom. I was in Massolit 3 years ago. Back then the owner was a charming young lady with excellent Russian (you could also find some Russian book - nomen est omen), Her absence is a big loss for the store.

1  Thank AnnaM17107

Dear Anna,
I'm very sad that you couldn't find the books you're looking for. I'm a bit confused about it, since we always have wide selection of Hungarian books in English. It's possible that not all the titles were available, but we get new shipment twice a week.
All my colleagues are highly educated people and they all speak excellent English and other languages as well. They may don't speak Russain but they don't have to. I do speak Russian and happy to meet you at the store at any time if you have time:) just write an email to info.massolit@gmail.com
Hope to meet you soon,