“Hurrah for Huszar”

Price range: US$2 - US$15
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Free Wi - Fi! Special 3 courses menus for groups from 12 EUR!
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Two days into our trip to Budapest, and we still had not found a restaurant serving authentic Hungarian cuisine that was not overtly pitched at tourists. Huszar was exactly the place we had been looking for when we eventually found it. The hosts were very friendly and keen to impress, the food was brilliant, and the place was full of locals.

We both tried a paprika and sour cream stew (one vegetarian, one not), served with Hungarian dumplings. These were not the stodgy, potato or bread based accompaniments you would expect, but more akin to a fluffy pasta. Absolutely delicious, and generously portioned too. The house white went down well with the stew, followed by a warming strudel.

Huszar is therefore highly recommended. There are English translations on the menus, as well as a range of vegetarian dishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 6 April 2017

i had read about this restaurant on trip advisor and decided to give it a try seeing as it was only over the road from our hotel. well......what can i say ,both my wife and i were greeted by a very courteous waiter, there was music provided which was a nice touch the menu was absolutely superb both in description of the food and the large choice on offer and the quality of food was exceptional. we returned on a number of occasions and were never disappointed this little gem tucked away is first class if anyone is staying in Budapest i would suggest you give it a try you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

I loved this place since the very first time I enter it. The atmosphere was so traditionally hungarian and the staff were caring and most welcoming. We had a great night with the most wonderful menu and a bottle of white hungarian-of course-wine. Everthing was delightful, I do recommend this place to everybody visiting Budapest.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

I arrived in Budapest too early to check in to my hotel room, so I was recommended Huszár restaurant, and I'm so glad I visited! It was a Monday around noon, I was seated immediately, and the service was delightful. This was my first meal in Budapest and by far the best. I listened to the recommendations of the server and was 100% satisfied. I would have had dessert, too, but didn't have room! :-) Make time during your visit to Budapest to stop by this charming restaurant; you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 22 March 2017

After a good day's walking, we enjoyed a couple of lovely evening meals here with the care and attention of the warm and welcoming staff. Thoroughly recommended for good, wholesome, local cuisine :-)