“Private bartender with amazing service skills”
Review of Bistro Deryne

Bistro Deryne
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Deryne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 3,550 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District I / Buda
Description: Bustling landmark caffehouse and bakery since 1914. Away from tourist routes, this inner Buda hotspot is a local favourite and hangout place frequented by artists, professionals and movie stars filming in the area. Open for warm breakfast, espresso and fresh house pastries. Classic short café menu till late night with simple local and french favorites. Please note that in order to benefit our culinary team as a whole, a discretionary service charge will be readily included on your bill. Any additional tip is appreciated but absolutely not expected. Déryné's kitchen is proud to be featured in Michelin Guide Main Cities of Europe, as Bib Gourmand or Recommended in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

With no reservation for a table we tried a long shot and asked for a table, full house with no empty chairs, the manager dine us up in the bar, with a private bartender “Greg” who served us designed cocktail all night, gave us several tips for our staying and was super service-mined over all. I highly recommend this fabulous Bistro bar with outstanding food and facilities where you can see all chefs cook your dinner in a really cool environment.

1  Thank Fiahultberg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful evening with 13 of us with parents , young adults and children all celebrating my sister’s 50th Birthday. We had a mixture of starters which the restaurant suggested which were l delicious. The choice of food and wine was lovely and we received excellent service and advice about what to have.
The cost was expensive but fair. The whole atmosphere was fun, lively and rekaxed. They also provided a wonderful Dobos Torte for a birthday cake at my request and made a big fuss of my sister serving it. From booking to paying the bill everything was efficient and helpful. Thank you for a great and memorable evening .

1  Thank Kate J
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We found Bistro Deryne through TripAdvisor and booked a table based on the score and reviews.

I'm not sure if we caught a strange night at the restaurant or if it's always just a mess.

Our waiter seemed more interested in socializing at other tables that he was i doing his job. He handed us our menus with out a word after we had waited for about 10 minutes to receive them. The menu is VERY LIMITED. It's a super tight assortment focused on meats, mainly on steak. I had beef the night before but don't care for rabbit or duck, so steak it was! When our waiter FINALLY returned, both my first and second choice for the steaks were not available. Seriously??? You focus on steak and more than half are unavailable? Not one single of the wagyu assortment was available.

I was then told that you had to order a minimum weight of the steak. Essentially doubling the printed price on the menu. This is an serious flaw on the owner/manager. Just make 2 size cuts available (petite and large) and print the actual price on the menu!!!

To add insult, there was a MASSIVE amount of fat on my steak when it came. You make me buy a minimum by weight and serve 1/3 of it as fat!! How RUDE!

We were so frustrated we completely passed on dessert, paid the bill, and left.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

It did not start well. Dirty fork on the table, we had to ask the waiter to remove it. No napkins even after we asked. Not able to serve a dish we wanted to order, which is significant when few options are available for brunch. The bread was over toasted, though the cappuccino was great. Not at the level we expected and experienced in the past.

Kristof K, Owner at Bistro Deryne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear traveller,

I honestly believe you have the wrong place. Every table is set fully before our guests are seated, there is no self service with tables. We never ever seat a guest before the table is fully set with napkins and shiny silverware. Washed, inspected and buffed to perfection by our commis.

Our brunch menu offers over 30 items. We have a regular local clientele, most of whom have visited our brunch for the past 8-10 years.

Something is seriously wrong with your review. It is so off, I really have a hard time responding in a proper way.

Yours,

Kristóf

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The dish selection is extremely poor, only a single beer in stock and all of this for a price three times more than an average Hungarian bistro.