“Felafel is the star of this restaurant”
Review of Szalom Falafel

Szalom Falafel
Ranked #387 of 1,860 Restaurants in Krakow
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

We tried the pizza and felafel and were pleasantly surprised. The pizza was ok, and freshly made. But that's not the reason to come here unless you absolutely must have kosher pizza in Crakow. The true star of this restaurant is the felafel (and the reason for my 5 star rating) -- the pita bread was super fresh, the felafel balls were ample and had just the right amount of crunch, and the vegetables, chumus, and techina were super. If you want an authentic and strictly kosher taste of Israel, be sure to give this place a try.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I came here a few times last year while attending the fantastic Jewish Culture Festival that takes place in this same neighborhood, Kazimierz in Krakow. I particularly enjoyed their Sabikh, a rare treat outside of Israel! For those not familiar; a Sabikh is a unique sandwich created by Iraqi Jews in Israel. Essentially, fried aubergine (eggplant) slices in a pita bread with sliced egg, salads, pickles, hummus, tachina, etc. This year I returned with friends. I suggested we get a take-away from here and sit out eating al fresco in the beautiful sunshine. They ordered the Falafel as I teased them that my Sabikh would be a much better choice and they were missing out! We took our food and drinks not far, to a little food square across the road, and proceeded to eat. After a few bites, I noticed the absence of aubergine. I opened the sandwich to inspect and saw that there was absolutely NO aubergine inside! So I popped back over to tell them they had forgotten the main ingredient, expecting perhaps an embarrassed apology. However, the woman who appeared to be or acted to be the 'manager', (a kind of pseudo punk rocker with dyed black hair and lots of tattoos - not a criticism as I myself was into Punk music when it was relevant) simply told me they had run out of aubergine so I could not have aubergine in my Sabikh! Would you serve a burger without an actual burger and just give a customer a bun with sauce and salad? When I said she should have mentioned the lack of aubergine when I ordered it, she just pointed at their food display and said it was my fault that I didn't notice that they had already run out!!! Do I work there now that I should know where to look for aubergine before I order? I didn't see falafel on display either, but my friends still got falafel. So I then suggested that perhaps they could give me some falafel instead, which was the cheaper item on the menu anyway. She just stared at me blankly and said, NO! When I asked, isn't the customer always right?, she stormed off from behind the counter, in front of a full dining area, and slammed the front door as she exited to the street!?! Luckily a nicer worker actually offered me the falafel in her absence, (probably at risk from a chewing out by her later!). I thanked him of course and also said thank you to her, in Polish, as she stood there outside the entrance, smoking a cigarette and staring me down as I left the place! Sadly won't be back next year, nor recommend, which is a shame as it is one of the few Kosher places in the Krakow in general.

6  Thank MauriTheChef
Reviewed 17 June 2017

This is right across from food trucks- I almost got something at the food trucks but then saw this place- so decided to give it a try. It was immaculate. I ordered a falafel for takeaway ( we sat at the area by the foodtrucks but it's ok my husband got food from one of the food trucks:). The falafel was delicious- truly. I thought it was quite reasonable as well. And, it's actually kosher.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

The only kosher place to eat in Krakow.
Food and pizza was excellent. Service was with a smile and fast. Place is small (maybe 10 seats) attached the synagogue. Price was moderate, but acceptable for the only kosher establishment.

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

While spending a semester in krakow, every time I wanted to eat an israeli food, I went there. Very nice place, in the heart of kazmirez.