All reviews perfect location jewish quarter old town two nights train station noise square
Reviewed 13 December 2015

We had a spacious double room with private bathroom, for a very good price. We had private access to the terrace as well - there is some seating, so it was a perfect spot to have the morning coffee. Staff is a bit shy but really helpful.
Location is good, about 15 minutes walk to the train station and 5 minutes walk from the old town.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2015

The High Life Hostel is in easy walking distance of Kraków's Rynek (the old town) and the main railway station ( Kraków Główny, which is itself an easy ride from Kraków airport). The hostel is at the top of one of the old tenements (4 flights of stairs, 54 steps, no lift, so not suitable if you have trouble climbing). Entrance is halfway down Starowiślna, outside a tramstop between Westerplatte and Dietla (trams to main station are 1, 3, 24 or 52). The hotel sign is not big and not lit. Ring the bell and when the door is released, go through the entrance doors and immediately left up the stairs.

Reception is manned by girls who speak some English. Most of the rooms are fairly small. Some have ensuites. Room 1 (where I was) is much larger with large ensuite. Rooms are clean. Clean linen and towels provided. Best take a bar of soap. Lavish central heating, lots of hot water. There is a large kitchen / common room. All in all the common areas have a nice atmosphere and you might meet other travellers. No TV, very good wi-fi.

The hostel is very handy for a trip to Kraków old town, easy walking distance to the Rynek and with trams right outside if you want to go further. Trams – buy tickets at one of the machines at the stops. You can buy a ticket for a period. You MUST validate your ticket at the start of a journey on the tram (the machine stamps it with a code with time embedded).

The biggest advantage in staying here is the price. I paid 105 Polish zloty per night, £18. (exchange rate late 2015). Everything is a bit old and creaky, but if all you want is a clean place in which to stay with everything you might need, then you'd put up with that for the price.

Are there any negatives? There didn't seem to be clear escape routes in the event of fire and I worried about that.

There are other hostel choices Kraków because there are perhaps a couple of dozen like hostels just off the N.E. Corner of the old town (between the Rynek and the main railway station) and there might be more elsewhere.

Room tip: Room 1 is bigger than most of the others
Date of stay: November 2015
3  Thank John H
Reviewed 7 November 2015

I stayed in Krakow for 2 nights with a friend in early October. Accommodation in the city is generally cheap and there are plenty of options available for a good price but we chose High Life based on mostly positive reviews and we were happy with our choice. We paid extra for a room with a private bathroom and private outdoor terrace but it still only cost £13 a night per person. For this price I wasn't expecting too much and would have little cause for complaint if the hostel turned out to be disappointing but I was pleasantly surprised with pretty much every aspect of our stay. The room was predictably basic but was brightened with nice vibrant colours and quirky decoration. The bathroom was clean with a spacious shower, although we had a broken toilet seat which wasn't a big deal for our short trip. The private outdoor terrace was my favourite feature of the room. Not a massive space but big enough for a small table and 2 chairs. We enjoyed sitting out there in the morning when the sun was directly on it and also for a few beers before heading out in the evenings. The location is pretty decent. Situated halfway between the Old Town and the Jewish Quarter, it's about a 10 minute walk to each of these key locations. The rail and bus stations are only 15-20 minutes away on foot. There's also numerous tram services running right past the hostel. I would advise doing some research into the location prior to arriving. Whilst it is situated on a busy road, the entrance is concealed behind some large gates with only a small sign above so it can be easily missed. If you're looking for a cheap, well located place to stay in Krakow then I'd say you're on to a winner with High Life. The only downside I can think of is the bed was a little firm and the mattress dipped in the middle meaning it wasn't the most comfortable I've slept in. Regardless, I'm not grumbling for £13 a night!

Date of stay: October 2015
2  Thank Manc_Ste
Reviewed 28 October 2015

Really great hostel with fantastic staff. For the price that we paid we got an excellent private room with private bathroom that joined with the communal balcony. The girl at reception was brilliant and recommended loads of cool stuff to do and see.

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank Ross W
Reviewed 26 September 2015

The worsf night in my life. For first there were noises from outside and after that someone decided to make a party in the corridor of the hostel. Walls are thin so I could hear everything. Somebody tried to get into our room few times. All night of screaming , running outside and back(?)...horrible.
The hostel rules forbid to be loud after 22 but it seems that there were no one from the staff who could stop the party.
Stay away from that place if you want to sleep well.

Date of stay: September 2015