“This was a good place to eat but not anymore”

Ristorante Pizzeria Leonessa
Ranked #24 of 1,004 Restaurants in Brno
Price range: US$6 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The venue, in the vicinity of the prestigious and breath taking Mahenovo Divadlo Brno theatre, offers a welcoming environment for a special occasion with friends and family, for a romantic date as well as other events such as meetings, marketing presentations, private parties, corporate dinners, fashion shows and weddings. The modern style and low light, the elegant surrounding and the design furniture with green and cream leather chairs help creating a special and cosy atmosphere. The menu is quintessential italian as it is its respect for traditions and it presents the opportunity to rediscover unique and authentic dishes blending the love for italian cuisine together with the demands of local clients. The rich and meticulously selected menu card comprises a broad selection. It may be hard to decide what to order when, among the mouth-watering choices, delicious pizzas, fresh pasta, fish delicatessen, but also bruschetta, risotto and yummy desserts stand out. The bartenders serve at the tables if you fancy an 'aperitvo' as a convivial start of your evening out. Our staff will welcome you and make you feel at ease. They will promote a genuinely pleasant atmosphere which will improve your experience of the meal. To meet the demands of all our customers, we can accommodate 90 guests in two separate dining rooms, completly no smoking, provided with air condition and free Wi-Fi connection.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I visited every time I came in Brno, but this time I realised the chef changed and the food was not the same level as before. I tried special dish with meet and cream with mushrooms called "scaloppina" but it was the bad copy of what I always ordered in the previous visits.
The pizza was too thin and too cooked.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

If you are up and about for Italian cuisine while visiting Brno, Leonessa is probably one of the best spots in town in where to satisfy your gastronomic urges, and I am not overstating it. Flavors are great and the combination of ingredients brings you back in memories to your last visit to Italy. I recommend the 4 cheese pizza but really, all of them are superb. The crust is just perfect and it is baked "nel forno" for a perfect smokey fresh flavor. Pasta is also good and there is other italian tasty things around like good Tiramisu.
Some of the servers are Italian, so you can also get to practice "parliamo italiano" while at the restaurant. On the down side, as usual around Brno, it is the servers/bartenders from Chequia. I had a hard to explain situation with the lady who serves the drinks as while waiting for my meals and while finishing my beer, I made the mistake of ordering a glass of red wine to go with my pasta. When she brought the wine to the table she exclaimed -so the beer we serve in here was not good enough for your taste? To which I replied a bit shock: Yes, the beer in here is excellent and I like it so much but I fancy some wine to go with my pasta. To which she said - well, beer and wine are not a good combination for one's digestion. It may give you some cramps!
After the incident, a couple of days later, a friend of mine explained to me that her intention was not to be rude or impolite at all. Czechs take very seriously when they feel they need to give good advice. It is Czech mentality.
So if you are at Leonessa and get the lady to come up with a sassy comment, just enjoy it. After all, Czechs are masters for black humor. Enjoy

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

I would like to share my delicious experience but despite trying it for second time I didn't get to eating there. First time closed despite the info at their web and today we got in at 21:44 BUT no cooking after 21:30 in Pizzeria opened till 23:00...

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Arrived Saturday evening at 18:00 expecting a popular Italian Pizzeria. Found an empty basement with no background music and no atmosphere. Neon lights from the 80's with some weird American diner seating. Service was decent, polite and probably the only star. We had Carpaccio to start, half frozen it gave me brain freeze. Followed by sea food pasta with frozen mussels heated up to the point of disintegration, not to forget the hard calamari that was very similar to that of a frozen packet from the penny market.
My wife had Pizza, with anchovies and capers but it seemed like it was cooked for 30 minutes. Burnt from frozen chicken nuggets for my daughter with again, frozen packet fries....All for top notch prices we left with real disappointment not to have any fresh food. I am very surprised by the positive reviews and hope it was a bad night in the office for Leonessa.

Reviewed 20 January 2017

Having an Italian boyfriend, he has very high expectations of pizza. This was sufficient for us - we were hungry and it wasn't bad.

He had the porcini mushroom pizza and I had the vegetarian - both equally good in my opinion.

The service was a little slow, there were just a few of us around in the restuarant but they were still quite friendly.

It's good for it's value - with the exchange rate, we had a 3 course meal for GBP11 per person! (Fried Calamari, 2 pizzas and a panna cotta)