“Great location, fairly average hostel”
Review of Old Prague Hostel

Old Prague Hostel
Ranked #135 of 686 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed in this hostel with five friends so I'm not sure what it would have been like sharing with other people. However we found the hostel to be in a very great location. It looked a bit dingy but that grew on us.

Breakfast was pretty bad. It was basically a terrible sandwich with tea or coffee.

Free wifi but didn't work above the main floor. However there was free computer usage.

The beds were fine, though the top bunk boards felt a bit unstable.

Only cash was accepted, but there was an ATM nearby.

Overall, for the low cost, it was fine, but it wasn't anything special.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed 17 June 2011

The price was fairly reasonable - not the cheapest you'll find but well worth the extra few pennies / pounds per night.

Good location - near the Palladium Shopping centre, good access to the Namesti Republicky metro. A few changes on public transport to get to the airport, but all in all quite simple to follow. Since all the key sights in Prague are within walking distance of each other this Hostel is well placed.

The staff were helpful - gave good recommendations for local restaurants and walking tours.

We had one complaint, which was that our 6 person dorm (204) acted as a corridor to another room (205) so we had other people coming in and out at all hours. This improved once we had more considerate neighbours in the next room, however, the reception staff also dealt very well with this. The hostel was too busy for them to move us, so they offered a partial refund, issued the free ear plugs, and gave us locker keys without asking us to pay the usual deposit. I felt this was quite acceptable in the circumstances.

Very Clean!! - There were cleaners working around the Hostel at all hours, which really proved itself with the bathrooms and kitchen. These were all spotless, probably the cleanest I've seen in any Hostel - particualrly any in London!!

They could do with a few more showers, as it could get a bit busy in the mornings, but in all fairness this wasn't a major issue. if you're in a real hurry just get up slightly earlier.

The room was clean, solid bunk beds. Very thin mattresses, but these were still very comfortable.

Also, the hostel was HOT. It was something like 20 to 30 degrees most days, and I think because it's in an old building the Hostel seemed to retain most of the heat. We had the windows open 24/7 during our stay, even when we weren't in the room - the road traffic wasn't too bad as it's not on a main road, although you could hear it a bit. Since the Hostel is directly opposite a police station it seemed quite unlikely anyone would break in!

Great Free Stuff - Breakfast was free. The breakfast sandwiches were great! Far better than they look, and sound. But otherwise breakfast was fairly plain cereal and coffee.
Free Ear Plugs - very handy.
Towels and Linen included in the room price.
Hairdryers available at reception free of charge.
Luggage storage after checkout free of charge.
Free WiFi

Shame there's no bar or anything, but there are plenty nearby - I recommend the Prague Beer Museum which is a pub serving over different 20 beers.

I'd definitely stay again, and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask if you have sole access to the room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My son stayed at the hostel as part of a short football tour. He very much enjoyed his stay but left behind his football kit. I telephoned the hostel and they were able to find the kit and post it back to me in England. I was very impressed with their help.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My husband and I like to mix things up when we travel, so we alternate between staying at full-service hotels, hostels, or B&Bs. I'll have to say that of all the hostels we've stayed at in the past, Old Prague Hostel is one of the best. We chose a private room (shared bathroom, which was very clean) and while the room is quite small - only wide enough to fit two twin beds - it was sufficient for us given that we were only there for one night. It's very neat/clean; in a superb location; friendly staff (24-hr service); very secure...just excellent overall. I can't quite comment on the noise level because we only stayed there for one night - our neighbors were either already sleeping or were still out when we got in, although I could hear them getting ready in the morning - but I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's looking for a good-valued place to stay in Prague!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I stayed two nights in Old Prague hostel and i happy with it. The location is very good and the reception is run 24 hours by a young&helpful gang.The rooms and bathrooms were all clean and they provide services such as towels,shower gels for free.Free breakfast and the wifi were also plus.Overall recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo