“A friendly hotel in Prague”
Review of City Crown Hotel

City Crown Hotel
Ranked #407 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Nurnberg
“A friendly hotel in Prague”
Reviewed 15 December 2009

My husband and I come back to Prague every year and his was our 4th time in City Crown. We come back to this hotel because ot its friendly atmosphere. It`s a small family owned place, the staff is helpful and caring, they speak good English and girls working daytime German. We book straight with the hotel. Rooms are clean /do not forget to leave the towels on floor if you want to have them changed/, have pink bathroom with bathtub and a safe. We prefer rooms with windows facing garden as it is very quiet . You can have free coffee, tea and biscuits all day long, there is a nice garden at the back of the hotel with chairs and flowers where you can drink it. Hotel has a free wi-fi.
We like eating out so we just have a walk and find some restaurant. If you walk a few minutes you reach a great park with a view of the Prague Castle. In general, City Crown is a nice place with familiar faces where we like to come back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank schmidy64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Hebrew first
Sweden
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I sleept here during 3 nights in the beginning of september 2009. In fact i sleept very well there, the bed was not as god as mine home, but good enough. I had the window open towards the street, with car noise and a little bit of screaming, happy youths.
I was thankful i not had forgot my earbuds. The room was not luxury, but it was kind of IKEA furnitures that did it's work. It's a tv on the room, but only a few channels worked. The bathroom was clean with a nice bathtube and a lot of towels.

The breakfast was ok, but nothing i will remember forever. The coffe was very good, i was thinking it maybe was a swedish brand?
The staff smiled a lot to me, that made me feel good. The girls and the boy in the reception was also very helpful when i asked them some questions.

It was easy to find the place when i walked from the metro Jiriho z Podbrad with a map in my hand. It was a little walking, but only a few blocks to the metro and tram so it was not "to much" walking. With my Ecco-shoes the walking was only a joy, it is so much nice thing to watch around in Prague. I found a lot of good eatings places around the hotel and other places. I had a good schnitzel at a sportsbar just besides the hotel.

But on the way home after a few beers on the resturant i do had some problem find the entrance door to the hotel, maybe they should consider put up a neon-sign or something withe the hotel name on?

So i dont see any reason to not choose this hotel the next time im going to Prague.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Leif E
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Bad parts
-staff at the restaurant are REALLY in need of some basic training about how to be NICE AND FRIENDLY. They make you feel soooooo unwelcomed. I don't know if the word "friendly" exists in the minds of those people. I know people's expectations change across cultures, but in my culture (Japanese), if anyone behaved like that in a work place towards customers and guest, they'd be losing their job right there.

-There is no air conditioning in some rooms and the hotel staff are in denial about that. Only said there's nothing wrong with the air conditioners, seemed helpless.

-Internet connection (LAN cable) is described as high speed, but even though is with a LAN cable and not wireless, it is EXTREMELY SLOW!!! To view a 5 minute movie on youtube, you need to wait about 5 minutes for it to download. That's how slow it is. Also, the server is set so that it does not allow you to view many of the sites that are from other countries, and the hotel staff is completely ignorant about how to solve the problem.

Good parts
-Rooms are very clean and spacious.

-Staff at the reception are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank tkpres
Amsterdam
Reviewed 29 June 2009

have stayed at City Crown in 2008 and 2009 and the standards and quality haven`t changed and all. I have no hesitation in recommending it. The hotel is centrally located on a quiet street about 10 minutes walk to the Old City. The rooms are clean, comfortable, the en-suite bathrooms in particular are quite spacious. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Internet is free of charge (WIFI and PC in reception). Hotel has a lovely green courtyard with flowers where you can grab free tea or coffee and rest after a busy day. Overall this is a great little 3 star hotel with lots of character.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sassy_79
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I booked with this hotel at which to stay while exploring Prague. At first I was very impressed - except that there was no welcome basket that they claim to have ready for each guest who stays longer than 5 days, but to me that was no big deal.

However, upon returning after a night out, the staff were all congregated in the front room and as I walked by they stopped talking for a moment. A second or two later I heard one of the male staff describe me as a "typical gay from Canada" and the others laughed as he continued to say that "he has to try not to laugh" when encountering those of my particular demographic. I could hear the others laughing at this as I stood to catch the elevator. I felt completely humilated and angry and had to process what had happened.

Fortunately for me I am resilient and minutes later after getting my stuff ready in my room I went back downstairs and confronted them very sternly. They apologised and tried making excuses about how they were joking and had had a few drinks etc. and offered me a beer, I guess to "compensate". Overall, I would not recommend this hotel if you are of any minority as god knows how they may end up treating you!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo