Metamorphis
US$154
US$103
  • Restaurant
Art Deco Hotel Imperial(Prague)
US$189
US$147
US$137
US$89
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbeer spaold town squaregreat locationcellar restaurantsmall squarechurch bellslarge bathroomtop floorwooden beamsno elevatoroverlooking the squareastronomical clockcoffee tableinner courtyardmain buildingdouble windowsthird floor
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Good: We went to Prague for Christmas. That in itself was a very good choice. You couldn't find a hotel with a better location for the same price. Our room (#45) had a foyer, a large bathroom, a large room with a sofa set and a twin bed and another adjoining room with a king sized bed, which was very comfortable. All rooms in our suite were very clean. The breakfast which is included was perfect. It's run by a very nice hostess, the hot food is hot and the cold is cold. I loved the breakfast dining area. It's so old and historic. The part of the square that this building is on dates back to the 10th century. It's so close to the Old Town and the walk to it is interesting and historical. I must also commend the front desk staff. I had been in contact with them by email before I left home. We were going to be staying there for 7 nights and I wanted to be sure that we weren't going to be in a noisy room since my husband and I are light sleepers. The hotel always responded quickly. I also made arrangements through the hotel to have a driver pick us up at the airport. That worked out beautifully and much less expensively than if you hired a cab.
The Bad: The room safe didn't work, so we had to keep locking everything up at the front desk which is across the street. Light bulbs in the main room with the sofa were out and one night stand lamp in the king bedroom was out. That's just poor attention to detail. The worst part was our room was #45 and even though we were on the courtyard side, it was noisy. The people staying in the room above us sounded like they were marching back and forth at all hours of the night, 2AM, 3AM, 4AM. Every time they entered their room they slammed the door and rattled the windows and heating elements in our room. Some of the noise might also have been from the attached restaurant. The worst was our last day in Prague when a family moved in to the room above us. The kids were out of control and sounded like they were literally bouncing off the walls. I spoke with the young lady at the front desk and told her that were had to be up at 4:40AM the next morning and desperately needed to sleep. I told her that I was sorry that I hadn't reported the noise of the other occupants during our stay. I asked if she could speak to the family above us and she said she would. At 10PM the racket began and we called the desk and to her credit, whatever she said to them, put an immediate end to the noise. Since this hotel is built more like a private residence than a real hotel, the acoustics are terrible. There is literally no soundproofing.
The Ugly: Although the room is large and clean, it did not have a warm feel to it. It is sparsely decorated (unlike any of the photos listed on their site) and could use some updating. The bathroom has a very high tub which could be a problem for small children or elderly people and a hand held shower. I know these showers are popular in Europe and my husband and I are used to them, but not everyone is.
Summery: All in all, I was pleased with this hotel and would probably stay there again, but would request whatever room is above #45 to avoid the sound of stomping feet above me. I felt the service was excellent, the hotel was very clean and the price and location couldn't be beat. The area is very safe and we never felt in any danger while walking the square at any hour of the day or night.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in #45 because of the noise from the room above.
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Just arrived home from a four days brake at Metamorphis Praha and i found myself and my wife, AMAZED, with such a wonderful hotel! The first point: the excelent location, just behind the Old Town Square (the center of Praha), nearby everything to see. Second point, the room: they gave us nr 33 in the front hotel facade, with a amazing view to a tiny square, with everything quite in extra good conditions, furnitures, beautifull decoration, a very king size bed and a HOT, HOT, HOT AC, very useful in a freezy climate as of Praha. Excelent WC allways clean, with cool water! Breakfast with great lot of choices and very, very, good meals. Hotel very polite and allways super cleaned! Staff very friendly and useful too. In the downfloor a nice Pizzeria with lots of choices to chose what to eat. Third point: Praha, such a beautifull and romantic city, terrific for couples, as others too, for being visit! One of the most beautifull cities that we´ve met! Lots of people in the streets allways having tremendous fun!
I contracted all the issues with the hotel and nothing have failled! NICE and PERFECT! They accept all kind of credit cards!
This two issues, Metamorphis and Praha, made a wonderfull four days brake for us! Just amazing, We LOVED Metamorphis, we LOVED Praha!

Not so good - The elevator, just to little for two adults and the fact that the bed made as King, in fact two singles closed each other in order to made a king one.

The rest, AMAZING and EXCELENT!

Reviewed 30 December 2011

The hotel is superbly located just a minute's walk from Old Town Square, behind Tyn church.

We very much enjoyed out stay in two attic rooms which both were large, had decent-sized, clean bathrooms, were full of character with wooden beams, and had views of the Tyn Church and Ungelt square. There is a lift to the second floor from an enclosed courtyard, then a flight of stairs to the attic. The rooms were furnished with a comfortable king sized bed, sofa, coffee table, writing desk, and wardrobes and there was free wi-fi. There was some noise from the square at night from people leaving a club at around midnight and, in the early hours, from street cleaning but it did not bother us much. It is a small price worth paying for being in such a central location.

All the Old Town attractions are close by and the location was so central that we could easily call back to our rooms to drop off shopping or change clothes to suit the weather.

Breakfast is in a cellar two stories below ground and was quite good. There is an Italian restaurant Vabene on the ground floor, which was very good value. To get to these from the hotel rooms, you must first go outside into the square.

The best way to reach the hotel from Prague airport is by public transport, which is cheap and easy (see www.dpp.cz/en/ for a journey planner). Buy a 90mins transfer ticket from the desk in arrivals (plus another one for your return!), take the very regular 119 bus to Dejvická, then the metro from there to Staromestská then walk up Kaprova, across Old Town Square, along the narrow street Tynska at the side of the Tyn Church, through two archways to Ungelt square. The hotel will be facing you at the end of the square on the left. Hotel reception is shared with the Metamorphis Excellent and is on the right.

Room Tip: The attic rooms have views of Tyn church and Ungelt square, are large and have lots of character
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I didn't know where to stay and started browsing TripAdvisor (the 1st time I did it and will continue doing! TripAdvisor, you guys Rock!). Back to the hotel...
Fantastic location, the rooms are big and clean. Bathroom needs to be updated however don't compromise your stay at all. The breakfast (included) is very nice!
-If you are looking for a modern, cool place with latest furniture: don't go.
-If you want a perfect located, cosy, nice breakfast and best Price x Value in town: Metamorphis is the answer.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed at Hotel Metamorphis recently and had a very mixed stay. On arrival we were shown to a twin room despite booking a double- unfortunately the beds could not be pushed anywhere near together to form a double as they had big wooden frames. When my husband approached reception to enquire whether we could change rooms the response he received was that there were not enough double rooms for everyone who had booked- this we would have accepted had the receptionist not been so rude and unhelpful. The night we spent in this room we really had little sleep as it was on the first floor, looking out onto the back street where a number of bars were situated. Despite both wearing earplugs the noise kept waking us throughout the night...then when we had managed to get some sleep we were awoken by laughing and loud talking from the room that was only separated from ours by a door- we tried to ignore this noise but it was as if our neighbours were in the room with us and we gave up and decided to go for breakfast. Breakfast was lovely, variety and lots of it. The room it was held in was really different too. Following breakfast I went to enquire once again if a room was available to move to- the same staff member as the day before told us rather rudely 'I told your husband yesterday there was nothing' and was quite aggressive in manner. Then another, really helpful member of staff pointed out a spare double and even offered to move our belongings. We were so grateful- especially as the room we moved into was so lovely. It couldn't have been more different- it was on the top floor in the roof space (so further from street noise), had lovely wooden beams, such a comfy double, had rooms of the back of the church and was much larger- we couldn't believe it cost the same! Overall I couldn't fault the hotel for cleanliness (it was spotless), convenience (it was right behind the square) and the breakfast, but maybe some customer service training would not go amiss for certain staff?! We would probably not return to this hotel unless we could be certain of getting a decent room as they varied so much.

Room Tip: The second room we had in the roof space was much better- the rooms at the back of the hotel get all the noise of the local bars.