“Interesting concept but needs some improvements”
Review of Bistro Spejle

Bistro Spejle
Ranked #266 of 5,705 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Neighbourhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Description: Restaurant and bistro Špejle is located in Jindřišská street, next to Wenceslas square. Huge selection of tasty small food on skewer, beer from small local breweries, original cocktails and much more.
Reviewed 3 March 2017

The design of the restaurant is very nice. The concept is based on a kind of tapas food where there is a linguee stuck in the each piece of food and they charge you then for a number of linguees on your table.
The food was not bad but nothing really exciting. The selection of the cold tapas was bigger and better compared to the warm tapas which were a bit boring.
The serving staff was very helpful in showing us around and how it works. Wine selection was extensive and the Moravian wine we ordered was very good.
The coffee at end was quite horrible, that would need some improvement.
Overall nice place, surely worth to try, if they further develope the concept, it could be a really good place for a quick lunch or glass of wine with some small food in the evening.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

New restaurant in the center. You choose on the counter between the food on "sticks" ("špejle"), and then you pay 29 CZK/Kg by sticks. Good choice of food as toasts, small burgers, quiche... Very pleasant place, good food and service.
To be noticed, good choice of wine by the glass which is not so common ("real wine" from good winnery / usually in CZ the only alternative is "chardonnay or sauvignon", to pick which TetraPak they will take the wine from).

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed this place. Basically, you help yourself to various small dishes at an open bar, at the end they count the toothpicks left and you pay accordingly. They get your drink order at the table. From the quick look at the drinks menu, they have an extensive list and are big on gin. Their Austrian house wine was very good and the pours were generous. The tapas were excellent, there is a choice of cold (small sandwiches, guacamole, cheese, salads, octopus etc) and warm (we were there mid-afternoon so there wasn't a large choice, otherwise there are apparently small sampling of various dishes like duck or schnitzel) plus a small selection of desserts (do not miss the creme brulee!) Overall very good and amazing value for money. The place is really pretty, modern but cosy. The waiter was lovely. Book if you're coming during peak hours.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

I was looking for a cool place in Prague where to take my 6 friends for casual lunch, nothing fancy, but I wanted something special. I was looking for days on tripadviser and I have finally found this place. Its basically in the center - just walking distance from Staroměstské náměstí. We have got a table in the back of the place where are many tables next to each other (well bistro style) and thats exactly what we needed. All 7 girls close to each other so we can talk and share the food we chose. In just one minute waiter came and asked about drinks - we got the home made lemonades - all very tasty. After our drinks we went to check the canapes and small bowls with small portions of duck, schnitzel with potato salad and more. There is like a "food bar" and you take a plate and cutlery and pick what ever you want and go back to your table. Each of the canapes is 29 crowns - tiny bit more than one €. I have got 5 and two of them I was sharing with my friend and I was pretty full after all of them. Then I have got also two deserts and I was ready to roll out of the place how much full I was. Everything was for 29 crowns except of mini burgers. Each canape has a "stick" - in czech - "špejle" and you take out the stick from the food and put it in a tiny stick vase so the waiter counts the sticks in the end and you pay for each of the stick the 29 crowns. We had all around 5 to 7 sticks, so for around 150 to 200 crowns you have lovely lunch. The only "canape" that was charged 2 sticks was the mini burger and it was worth it. The waiters were all friendly and helpfull. The place is cosy, casual with green touch. Music in background fits great with the atmosphere. Definitely found my lunch place in Prague.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

I was really looking forward to visit this bistro because of their excellent reputation, but I am really disappointed.
At the start they mistook our reservation (made in Czech language), so we had to sit on a really uncomfortabe place (other guests pushed to us). Nobody also explained us system/concept, so we had to watch other guests.
There was nobody (for all the time) to explaining cold dish and dessert, so we didn't know what we ate (it should be problem also with some food allergies, but even without allergy I wan't to know what I eat). There should be signs or stuff (similar to hot dish).
And to the end - food - was only average for me, overprices canape.