See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 May 2005

This guest house is a perfect pick for families or young people who want to have fun in Puerto Rico. The rooms are simple, but nice and clean. It is located in a quiet neighborhood, 10 minutes from the beach. Angela is very welcoming and gives you all the information you need. The rates are definately a good bargain, we paid $75 per night.

Date of stay: May 2005
5  Thank Culture26313
Reviewed 21 March 2005

OK. so I just got back from the health center at my school. It turns out all those mosquito bites that I received in San Juan, weren't mosquito's at all. They were BED BUGS. How disgusting, I feel like I have the cooties and I must tell my story to people who are looking for a cheap place to stay in San Juan. First Remember this, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I sure did.

I was looking for a decent priced hotel in San Juan, I came on tripadvisor and saw all 3 great recommendations of El Patio Guesthouse. My girls and I decided to give it a shot. We stayed for 8 day, 7 nights. It was a room with four beds in it, one full-size and three twins. Angela only charged us $75 a night, which is a bargain, I guess. I ended up paying $200 for a 7 night stay, before I arrived in San Juan, that was a great deal. As I left San Juan, I wished I would have put the extra cash not to be attacked in my sleep!!!!

El Patio is located in the residential part of Isla Verde, which is fine. Like the other commentors stated, it is only a short walk to the beach. If you ask Angela she will tell you 3 blocks, but no,no,no that is not the case. It is 3 blocks to the overpass that you have to cross, then you have to walk a few more blocks to get to an entrance to the beach. After a while you get used to it and its not so bad. You learn directions really fast, considering that none of the cab drivers have ever heard of El Patio Guesthouse.

The cabdriver that took us from the airport to Angela's got lost a couple of times. I don't speak any spanish and my friend speaks only enough to get by, but not enough to give directions to a place that we never been before.

Once we finally got there, Angela was standing at the gate. She let us in, and gave us the rules. One of the rules that blew my mind was her no visitation rule. If I wanted someone to tell me that I couldn't have guests, I would have stayed in the dorm. Once I got over that, we went to the room. I don't consider myself to be a member of the bougie society, but I was not prepared for what I saw. I saw a few cracks in the wall. The toilet looked like it had Herpes, I don't know if its just me, but I've never saw a bumpy toilet in my life, but there is a first time for everything.

The cleaning lady seemed very nice, but she didn't speak english, so I could only saw but so much to her. One thing though, she didn't change the sheets. We had to ask her to do so like the 3rd or 4th day we were there. I don't know it all seemed a bit strange. But the point is that we were guests in someone's home.

It felt like I was staying at a distant relatives crusty house. You know the one where you are afraid to sleep at night because you see ants crawling in the kitchen and you just know they are in the room with you.

Angela is a very nice lady and she has excellent rates, but remember you get what you pay for. I had a great time in San Juan, all-in-all, but when I go back I certainly do not plan on staying at el patio.

Oh one more thing before I go, the doctor at the health center had a similar experience with the bugs in San Juan, but she stayed at a Wyndam Resort and Casino. So I guess you never know what you will get, but just be prepared for anything.

Date of stay: March 2005
20  Thank LaToya M
Reviewed 14 April 2004

I stayed here for 5 days and really enjoyed my time here. It is a very tranquil place and Angela was an absolute delight. If you dont mund a short walk (which is no hassle at all) to the beach then this is the place for you. It is close enough to all of the excitement of Isla Verde, with out being crowded by lots of people. An oasis in "The Isle".

8  Thank Trek24984
Reviewed 20 April 2003

I love El Patio Guest House. I have stayed there about 8 different times in the last 3 years. Every visit has been great, Angela treats you like family. My father even had a medical emergency on one trip last year, and Angela did everything possible to help accomodate us during this emergency. The location is great, only 2 blocks from the highway, and 3 blocks from the beack, however the neighborhood is nice and quiet.

8  Thank FarAway15210
Reviewed 8 October 2002

I have not been there recently but I have stayed at the El Patio guest house for many years. We have always found it to be Very clean and safe. The location is good, but most of all we were always treated like family by the owners Angela & Jesus Martinez. Our vacations there were among our best vacations ever.

10  Thank Journey32206