All reviews esj towers full kitchen play bingo renovated lobby chana kabobs washer and dryer san juan beachfront hotel the breakfast area large pool family vacation trip to puerto rico great beach close to the airport isla verde beach rented a car
Reviewed 25 September 2017

This is on behalf of my family that are stuck in P.R due to the hurricane, MARIA! The resort has done everything HUMANLY possible to assist them with their needs. They have been feeding them and trying to provide the necessities that they need from day to day. The devastation in PR is one of the worst in time, the staff which also have been affected and their families are still assisting and devoting their time to the Guest. Our family stays at the ESJ every year and will continue to do so. Thank you ESJ Azul for a job well done.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank LIZA C
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I called ESJ regarding the extra fee assessed for the updating of rooms. My time share is on the third floor. Regarding the ETA for updated rooms they are starting from the top down and everytime I call, I am told the hotel rooms are going to be done first and then the time share rooms. With no ETA and having to go into the same old smelly rooms, I will not pay the fee until I am provided more details. I will probably be banking my weeks with Interval for 2018

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wingiant56
Reviewed 18 September 2017

So I own a timeshare at ESJ and I was not impressed with this hotel. I pay a monthly fee yearly and the service I got was horrible. I had arrived at 2am in the morning to my hotel. I had the timeshare from a thur to thur but i ended up arriving on a sat because I had to work. First off at 2 am i would expect the staff to be a little nice being that it was so late. But no the staff had an attitude. i even asked to get a new room but i was told there were only 4 new rooms and they were taken. I did not understand why because a few weeks ago i received a paper stating my room was updated and they would need to charge a $500 fee for the updated room. So glad i didn't pay the fee. After i got my key from the rude lady at the desk I went to my room. I walked into the room and I could see the bed was not done and there was garbage in the pale so obviously they had not cleaned my room. Now think about it i was suppose to be there thur but i got there on a sat. So for 2 days my room had not been cleaned. That is disgusting. I went back the lady at the desk and told her my room was not cleaned so with an attitude she gave me another room and she had me wait 10 mins to get a new room. As im walking towards my room i see a staff member come out a room with a garbage bag and they had came out the room i was going to stay. So right there that told me once again the room was not clean. I walked into the room and its smelled like mold and roach spray and for a person that has asthma that is not good to be around. I also found a spider web on the side of the bed so that meant the sheets has not been changed for a while. The ac was beat up and i felt like if i had laid in the bed i would get bit by a bug. I ended up leaving and going to another hotel because I knew i would not be able to sleep in the room. I will not stay in this hotel until they update all rooms. I am even thinking about selling my timeshare because i dont think i will ever stay there again. I dont get how they treat timeshare holders so bad when we pay a fee yearly. DONT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
10  Thank torres62
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Terrible Customer Service
No towels at pool area, no food available at 5pm in the pool area.
Rooms are old and stinky, nothing like the pictures on the site.
Beach Chairs and Umbrellas were available at an additional cost.
Breakfast was Ok

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mailyn O
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Before staying here I had always checked reviews on Trip Advisor. I almost booked another hotel but since this had already been paid for $450 for the week for a getaway with Interval International, I decided to take my chances. This trip was just my husband and I. We arrived last Saturday at 1:40pm, taxi charged us $14 from the airport. Upon check in we were told our room wouldn't be ready until at least 3pm. We decided to wait in the lobby even though they offered to hold our luggage and told us we could use the facilities if we wanted to. The lobby is very nice and modern and has free wifi. We were approached by a timeshare salesman (they stand to the left as you check in, then offer you a drink from the bar and breakfast or lunch from the restaurant). I told him up front we already had a timeshare and we weren't interested. So we didn't get the free drink or meal LOL. At 3:05 I decided to wait in line and ask if our room was ready-it was. Our room was number 365. Upon entering, the kitchen was to our left -stainless steel refrigerator, the rest of the appliances were not new. We had a flat screen TV and king size bed (this room has not been remodeled) but is again average. Our view was of the pool and we could see the other hotels along Isla Verde beach. The tub seemed to be newer but the vanity in the bathroom was not. There was a safe in the closet that worked with the swipe of your key card. Upon entering the room there was a maintenance supervisor that went through a checklist with us (kitchen/bathroom towels inventory). He was very nice and made sure anything that was missing was brought to our room. Since this is a timeshare unit, maid service is not included but he explained we just needed to check off tag if we needed new towels/sheets/toilet paper etc. and hang it on the door. I was expecting a lot worse from the reviews so I felt somewhat relieved. What bothered me was the musty smell in the room-the A/C cooled the room and worked great but there is a humid feeling in the room. If you need hang anything up to dry it stays wet. The beach is fine but does have noseeums.(There is a card in the room that lets you know the beach has noseeums but you will feel them as soon as you step out on the sand(especially if you are prone to mosquito bites :( . Make sure you bring some type of repellent or buy something once you get there. Dawn and dusk are the worst for noseeums and the mosquitos are relentless after 5pm. The chair/umbrella situation -we had to pay $18 per day to rent chairs and an umbrella (we used the beach 3 days so that was $54). There are many tourists and natives who use the beach area here-it is public and open with easy street parking. I would assume this is why you have to pay for chairs-if not it would be a free for all!!! The beach on Fri. Sat. and Sun is like Spring Break-lots of people, very noisy and about 3 different speakers with different music going on at once. The beach is much quieter M-TH. The water is clean but not clear-go to Culebra or Vieques for clear water. We brought a mini pack able cooler and went to the CVS about a 5 minute walk to stock up on beer/water and snacks. This is the cheaper way to go and you will notice most people bring their own coolers to the beach. Beer will cost you $4-$5 for one if you buy it from the beach bar. You can buy a 12 pack of Medalla Light for $9 at CVS (they have a wide selection of beer/wine and liquor). Pueblo market is also near the hotel and they will let you bring the shopping cart back to ESJ if needed. Food on the beach-there are numerous vendors who walk along the beach. There is also a pizza tent to the right once you are on the beach. We tried the $6 medium cheese pizza and it was very good. There is also a cart to your far right that has very good empanadas for $3. We did order the burgers from the beach bar one day and they were very good -but we couldn't bring ourselves to pay $10 each for a burger and fries again. We didn't go to the pool at all. There are many places to eat within walking distance to the hotel and fast food places as well. I would suggest you download the UBER app to your phone before coming here if you don't already have it. We used it a lot to go out to dinner and old San Juan. ESJ AZUL allows Uber's to come on the property (not all the hotels in PR allow this). Using Uber will save you a ton of money. You cannot use Uber anyplace taxi's are stationed. Our trip back to the airport was $5 with Uber (as opposed to $14 for a 5 min taxi ride). We took a side trip to Culebra (we stayed 2 nights) which I highly recommend-we flew out of Isla Grande airport ($73 each way) but you can also take the ferry from Fajardo for $4.50. Because our week was broken up with our side trip to Culebra, we really only spent 4 days at the ESJ. The workers were very nice and you can see the potential for this place is there. We were approached 2 more times by the same timeshare salesman-which was annoying.

Stayed: August 2017