“Weekend away in Tallulah at Belmont campsite”

The Cock at Budworth
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This outstanding village pub can be found adjacent to the main A559 in the scenic area of Great Budworth. The Cock O' Budworth is a former 17th century coaching inn, which now oozes class and style. It is beautifully decorated throughout, and is everything that you might expect from a traditional country pub; open fires, a rabbit warren of rooms and low beams. However there is much more to The Cock O’Budworth, since it’s recent refurbishment it boasts a beautiful interior that it the perfect place eat or drink and to enjoy a special night out with friends and family. This is definitely a hidden gem that once you have visited you will return to time and time again.Pete and Karen took over here in October 2010 and since their arrival the place has once again become one of Cheshire's destination places to dine and drink. Proprietor Pete has been in the catering trade for the past 16 years, twelve of those with Karen – indeed The Cock is Karen & Pete’s third successful venture as licensees. Both of them are qualified chefs, but whilst Pete remains in tight control of the kitchen Karen lovingly looks after front of house of this family-friendly, picture postcard pub. Karen’s extensive experience from her background in top hotels to managing a busy city centre restaurant ensures that your visit is memorable from start to finish, a fact to which her growing band of loyal customers will attest! Besides the excellent hospitality and the well kept ales, which include Holt's Bitter and regular guest ales, customers are drawn locally, and from further afield, to enjoy the delicious meals served. All the food is freshly prepared on site by Pete’s small brigade of chefs and where possible all the ingredients are locally sourced. Pete says “We like to make use of the best local suppliers, not just because we can be assured of the best quality produce, but also because we believe the ‘local’ pub has a duty to support the community of which it is a part of” You will also find a specials board that, when in season, features locally caught game including such mouth watering dishes as; Rabbit Pie, Guinea Fowl with Whisky & Orange Sauce, Game Pie and Pheasant Breast with Caramelized Apples & Calvados. Karen & Pete believe in the old saying ‘if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well’ and nowhere is this more true than with their menu which features traditional pub food made to the highest standard. The menu includes such classics as; Steak & Ale Pie, Fish & Chips and Gammon Steak as well as Pete’s take on Thai Red Chicken Curry and Beef Stroganoff. Vegetarians are also well cared for, most noticeably with the Individual Cheese & Onion Pie which is good enough to give even the most ardent carnivore pause for thought!The main menu includes the option of smaller portion meals on a healthy proportion of the dishes - less quantity, the same fantastic quality!The Cock’s famous roast dinners are added to the menu on Sundays. A selection of roast meats are available served with all the trimmings, including a fantastic home made Yorkshire pudding, they are definitely not to be missed!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely pub/restaurant. Dog friendly. We had a delicious meal in the snug with our dog. Would have liked to try most of the dishes so will just have to come back.

MichelleD5891, Manager at The Cock at Budworth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good Morning

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of our pub.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit !

Myself and the team look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited here with my husband and daughter a few Sundays ago. The initial service we received was great, a really friendly girl behind the bar who served us promptly, the wine was lovely! The food was perfect, I really couldn’t fault it at all. I had the steak pie, my husband the vegetarian burger and my daughter fish and chips. All of us thoroughly enjoyed it and the same for the desserts.

The only let down was the attitude of one member of staff. We had to wait a while for our plates to be cleared. Eventually a young waitress took away two of our plates but never came back for the rest. When our desserts arrived the same waitress slid our food over to us then literally threw our spoons onto our plates. This was witnessed by a local person in the bar who commented how rude it was so I knew I wasn’t being over sensitive about it.

I mentioned the issue on paying and received a big apology and another lady grabbed us on the way out to also apologise which I was grateful for.

In summary, I absolutely loved the food but left the pub a little disappointed over the attitude of the waitress.

Good Morning

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review.

I would be most grateful if you could contact me on 01606 891287 so I can address the issue you have raised.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

We have had meals in the past which are usually good, however I had the lasagne with portobello mushrooms - it was quite tasty but unfortunately tinned tomatoes were used in the making of this dish which was a bit disappointing - my hubby and his sister had fish and chips and they thorough enjoyed them - think we would still go back

Michelle D, Manager at The Cock at Budworth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Good Morning

Thank you for your review following your visit for our two for one offer on Monday.

Our homemade lasagne is one of our more popular dishes here at The Cock @ Budworth, I will however provide your feedback to our menu development team who design our menu.

We are delighted that you will be visiting again, myself and the team look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Myself and my Husband went to The Cock at Budworth for a meal the other night (after winning a Facebook competition for two free main meals). The food was wonderful and the staff were very attentive. Their new menu left us spoilt for choice - we will definitely be returning and would highly recommend !

Michelle D, Manager at The Cock at Budworth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Good Morning

We are delighted that you both enjoyed your visit.

Thanks for entering our Facebook competition, we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Did not know about this one being a visitor to the area and just looking for somewhere to eat on the way to Northwich. Made to feel very welcome with a very homely atmosphere. Despite being fairly busy we were quickly shown to a table and served drinks almost immediately. Food was well cooked and well presented. I particularly like the selection of greens served on the plate. All very tasty and satisfying. No need for a dessert but they looked good too.

Michelle D, Manager at The Cock at Budworth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Good Morning

Thank you for your review following your recent visit.

Hopefully when you are in the area again you will call in ?

Myself and the team look forward to seeing you in the near future.