“Tasty But...”

Detour Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Dundas
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Our cafe showcases the coffees we source and roast. We also serve amazing food, making all of our sauces, jams, and baked goods from scratch, using locally-sourced ingredients whenever possible. We invite you to stop by if you’re ever in the neighbourhood.
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Love Detour Cafe. Such a nice space, patio and the food and bread is delicious.

BUT...

Since the reno we've found the ordering process confusing and at times messy. You have to go up to the counter to order which can be a 10 minute process depending on the line. The menus are only next to the counter so you are given little time to choose your dish. After you order you are sometimes waiting for a table to clear.

We've also found that on at least two occasions it has taken 15-25 minutes for the food and drinks (coffee) to come to the table. This would be acceptable in a normal restaurant where you order via a waiter but by going to a counter you are often left wondering, 'Did they forget us?' 'Should we go ask about our status?' There is a lack of communication and it just takes away from an otherwise great experience.

Food is great and you won't be disappointed but be careful who you take and manage their expectations of the experience. This isn't a traditional lunch spot.

2  Thank Waterskic

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

What a hidden gem! With a fancy patio to boot. Now I understand what all the fuss is about.
Energy feels clear, uplifting and you will defintely tap into a creative vortex.
Coffee delicious, had the flat white with almond coffee cake. YUM.
super friendly and engaging staff. Just go!
New favorite hot spot.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

First time review: I love the layout. Pretty patio to the side. Can be crowded inside. Various coffees and teas. Delicious baked goods. Will return.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

1st time i was there it was a 45 min wait to get a very mediocre sandwich (how can it take 45 mins to make a sandwich when it isn't even busy). 2nd time it was a 20 min wait to get a coffee to go, after waiting 20 minutes (which is absurd) they say they don't have cold brew (how hard is it to put up a sign as otherwise i wouldn't have waited) and then to add insult to injury they force you to tip. I'm not a cheap person but after waiting 20 mins to get a cup of coffee which they didn't have (settled on an average americano, McD's coffee is just as good) why should i be forced to tip for mediocre service and coffee. Don't know what people rave about but i def won't be going back.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank TravellingBill33
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

On the Saturday of the Cactus Festival my wife and I dropped in at Detour and were lucky enough to get a seat on one of the nicest patios around. We hadent been in for a while and I was surprised at the change in the interior of the restaurant. The new layout seems to ordering much easier than the old space. The patio hasent changed. The system of ordering and paying in advance works with the food being served at your table. My wife had the French toast and I had the Breakfast sandwich. When ordering I asked for the bacon option and was told they didn't have any so I opted for ham. After a couple of minutes the girl on the cash came out and told me they had bacon after all and would I like it instead. I ended up with both bacon and ham which was a nice touch. The sandwich was great, especially the great bread. My wife really enjoyed the French toast, quality bread makes a real difference. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Well be back again.

Date of visit: August 2018