“Excellent The only bad thing about this place is leaving!”
Review of Lazy Parrot Inn

Lazy Parrot Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Hampton, Virginia
“Excellent The only bad thing about this place is leaving!”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

As a local PR surfer (back in my day), now residing in the mainland the atmosphere of "The Lazy Parrot" really summarizes my type of place nothing to do but enjoy drinks and sunshine even in December. If ever planning on visiting the island, a few days in The Lazy Parrot should be a must to enjoy our beach culture. Nothing I can write can compare to the experience. If you like great service and tropical settings this is the place.

4 Thank Jose P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2011

First off, I like to stay in fancy hotels. My boyfriend however is more about the "experience" meaning he could stay in a shack on the beach. Since he was paying I reluctantly agreed to the Lazy Parrot. From the street it looks pretty basic but step inside...It's like a jungle oasis. My somewhat buget oriented boyfriend picked the value room #1. It was pretty basic, just like you see in the pictures. However it was cozy and clean, and I ended up really liking it.It was super cheap and definitely worth the price. When I go back though I will definitely book a superior room overlooking the pool which has great views of the jungle and ocean and nice balcony. This place relaxes you to the bone. You will meet great people and local expats. The staff was so wonderful. Also they have two fun bars and a restaurant. In my opinion the best food we had in Rincon was at the restaurant which also was served food at the bar. This place is just so special and will sooth your weary soul. However as I read the bad reviews I think it's fair to say if you expect a Ritz Carlton or even a Hyatt, this place might seem too rustic for you. However as someone who lives for staying at nicer hotels, I was enormously surprised. By the end of my stay I had fallen in love. I learned that sometimes the most expensive hotel is not the nicest. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: Splurge for the rooms on 3rd floor overlooking pool. Sounds bad but those offer jungle nd ocean view...
3 Thank Kira G
Illinois
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My wife and I just returned from a four night stay here. Easy check-in after a long day of travel. We knew the office would be closed when we arrived. They arranged for our room key to left for us. We formally checked in the next morning after breakfast.

Our third floor room was quite spacious. Our balcony overlooked the pool area. Nice linens and bathroom amenities. The shower faucet was a bit finicky. Dish Network on the TV provided a decent selection of channels.

Breakfast each morning provided a nice variety of the usual breads, yogurt, fruit and excellent coffee. Free wi-fi in the breakfast area.

We didn't use the pool as we did our swimming & snorkeling at several beaches in the area. Nor did we eat at the Rum Shack or restaurant.

Overall, a great value. When we return to PR, we'll definitely consider the LP.

3 Thank Dave148
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I visited the Lazy Parrot 2 years ago on my first trip to Rincon. I visited w/ my cousin & friend and the restaurant & 2 bars (rum bar included) were stellar. The grounds are breathtaking behind the seemingly dull front exterior. The hotel is NOT on the beach, but the views overlooking the valley between the beach and the hotel are awesome. In addition, the grounds beyond the restaurant are like walking through a rainforest. The pool, bars, steps, hotel, etc. are reminiscent of venturing through El Yunque.

My girlfriend & I arrived after 5 after visiting my favorite beach (Maria's) to check out the local scene & surfing. We drove up from Ponce and had no reservations which was our MO for the entire trip. Much to our surprise, the desk was closed with a message to call a number for questions or last minute bookings. We called the # and a gentleman was expeditious in driving over to check us in. He brought us into the laundry area, opening a book that read, "walk-ins". The options for rooms were all under $100 including tax which were the cheapest of our trip; I didn't object.

The 3rd floor room was great initially as it had been recently renovated. Awesome floors, tile bathroom throughout, great bedding/bedroom furniture. However, our big issue was the the upfront mildew malodor upon entry. I've detected this odor before but it's usually caused by older carpet & linens which were absent here. So, we investigated the wall a/c unit (which was the only remaining culprit) and detected massive black mold within the unit. My girlfriend mentioned objecting, but for the rate and our late arrival, I suggested a quick trip to Econo to purchase some lysol to rectify the situation. This did the trick since we were only staying 1 night. We left the a/c unit off and opened up all available openings. Keep in mind, this unit is on the eastern end/3rd floor which is obstructed by palm trees and thus, minimal sunlight.

We loved the Lazy Parrot; the only reason for a less than stellar review is the malodor from the neglected a/c unit. I was wheezing after a bit and the only reason I could imagine was the mold w/in the a/c unit. We mentoned the issue to management upon departure and we were met w/ concern wholeheartedly. This in no way detracts from the beauty of the hotel/grounds, but the a/c neglect on the eastern end may hinder your otherwise phenomenal stay in this gem....

Room Tip: Pick a high floor (2 and up) on the middle/West end. The Eastern end seems to get less sunlight whic...
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This is a decent location within Rincon. The location avails its self to a nice view from your room and convenient access to surfing and snorkeling.

The room is just fine. Its clean etc.

Unfortunately during my stay, The internet did not work at all during all the days of my stay.
the hot water was tepid at best and freezing cold on the last day. Very disappointed about the lack of a decent shower facility with hot water. I don't ask for much, but in the price category i do fully expect to have hot water.

Staff is nice and friendly.

Pool / Bar / Restaurant - its available if you desire. I found it to be very over priced. There are many dining options in the area - seek out food at an alternative location if you are traveling on a budget. The bar is a very nice location to meet others and relax, Pretty decent view of the sun set also. :)

In the future I would most likely seek alternative lodging. But try your luck, they might have hot water!

Room Tip: Not here. Seek an alternative lodging choice.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
3.6 km away
Hotel Colombus
#1 of 2 in Aguada
3.6 km away
Parador Villa Antonio

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!