“Brilliant as ever”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Excellent food (Turbot & 3 sole dishes in our party) - service and great Maitre D - the extras also very palatible

Reviewed 30 August 2016

This restaurant is not posh by any means, located on a back street in the busy town of Almancil (away from the coast)
However, The food is absolutely delicious, and extremely reasonably priced (compared to restaurants in Quinta, vale do lobo & the beachfront)
The owner is very passionate and talks you through his specials with lots of detail. They always have lots of fresh fish and seafood, but the fillet steak & picana are also melt in the mouth for meat lovers. We will definitely be going back
Little gem

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Have driven past this restaurant a few times so decided to try it out for lunch. Extensive menu, great service and food was really tasty.

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

We would never have found this place had it not been for friends of ours that live just up the road from this lovely restruant, and who invited us over for a typical Portuguese meal at Gamboa's Restruant.

Had the most welcoming reception from Rui and his lovely lady who also fully explained each of the meals on the menu. We opted for the fish cataplana (a Portuguese seafood dish for 2), whilst our friends had the turbot and steak. We were advised that the cataplana would take approx 45 minutes to prepare and in the mean time we has several small apertizers to try, these being the couvert, giant prawns and the mussels in a white wine garlic sauce.

The staff were very attentive but never in your face and you never waited long to attract their attention.

The drinks and conversation flowed with our friends and also on occasion included chatting to Rui (the owner).

Just before the main meal arrived our table was cleared and out came the copper cauldron holding the fish cataplana, this was opened and the aroma alone was sufficient to tell you that this is going to be one awesome meal, the waitress served the first portion to myself and my wife and the whole meal was amazing and included squid, mussels, clams, crab legs, prawns, grouper plus red/green peppers, boiled potatoes and a garlic tomato based sauce, plus I'm sure much more that I have forgotten.

I can honestly say that this meal was one of the very best fish dishes that I have had the pleasure to experience, and I do like my fish dishes.

We visited on a Saturday evening and the place was buzzing, with a mix of both local Portuguese and Brits alike, and would certainly recommend booking to avoid any disappointment. Rui and most of the staff speak excellent English but also would welcome if you wished to try your knowledge of their language, I admit I was lazy and only spoke English :)

I have heard that on the occasional Friday evening that a few guys, including Rui and one of our friends that evening, will be putting on a little gentle music to foot tap to or even sing along too if you so wish. There will be 3 guys playing acoustic guitar probably from 9pm onwards for an hour or two and I'm sure would appreciate your support.

Why this place isn't higher up the trip advisor listing I do not know, maybe because it is still a Portuguese secret and maybe I shouldn't be telling everyone in case I can't get another booking.

A very big thank you to Rui and the staff at Gamboa and also to our lovely friends Richard and Viv.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

Visited with family including two 4 year old twins , done be fooled by exterior ! Lovely welcome , great food and we were all treated like royalty , the girls we given port ( cherry aid ) and we all had a great evening at very competetive price ( locals were 50% of the clientele always a good sign )