“OK but disappointing for 4* accomodation”

Olivarius Apart'hotel Cergy
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I expected wonderful things from the Olivarius after reading mostly good reviews and the hype on their website. I booked Olivarius for a 5 night stay for my husband's 30th birthday.
Upon arrival, the receptionist was friendly, gave us our key and directed us to the lift which would take us to the third floor. The absolute stench from the lift was unbareable!! I have no idea why such a smell would exist.
Upon entry into our room my initial thought was "this room is not complete, that's a concrete wall", well after further inspection this was apparently the decor, of which I didn't think much of!
The bathroom was nice, however the bath/shower was not thoroughly cleaned. I found the bed very uncomfortable and struggled with back ache throughout the trip.
Only one towel each was provided, which I am sure many (particularly women) will agree is not great when needing to wrap your hair up.
We only had our towels changed once during the stay and when we did get our towels changed one of them had a huge stain/mark on it, it looked like it had been used to mop the floors!
There is no ceiling light in the rooms and I struggled with the lighting from bedside lamps and the kitchette.
The breakfast was OK, although my husband wasn't very pleased with the cold pancakes!
I will advise anyone staying here that the train journey into Paris is a lengthy one at approx 45 minutes and also you MUST know your route to and from Olivarius, we got lost a few times which was frustrating.
Another thing I will mention is that the Olivarius is next door to student accomodation and the students tend to go into the Olivarius for the bar and to 'occupy' the pool tables so that guests can't get on them!
Bar prices are very good, they also have a nice selection of snacks/food you can take to your room.
Cergy itself is OK, but can feel a bit uncomfortable when walking from the station to Olivarius at night, so be cautious here.
Overall, this place was OK but I wouldn't want to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsCG88

Reviewed 20 September 2011

In my opinion, this place deserves it's 'Number 1' rating!

We used it as our ovenight stop after attending a wedding about 30 minutes further north. The professional pictures which you can see are a fair reflection of what you get.

The family apartment which we had was huge when compared to what you normally get given elsewhere. It was clean and really well equiped. Although it was on the ground floor, and right opposite the breakfast serving point, it was really quiet - the soundproofing must be very good!

Check-in and -out was quick and easy.

The complimentary breakfast made the room price even better value for money. Eat as much as you like; pastries, crepes, bread, cheese, yoghurts, cereals, fruit, fruit juice, coffee, etc, etc. You can either eat in the main area (a bit canteen-like), or take it back to your room. We even took a few 'extras' which helped tide us over until lunch on our journey!

My parents were staying in a smaller apartment, and weren't so impressed - in hindsight, they probably would have been better paying an extra 10 Euros and also having a family room.

All in all, I would definitely recommend Olivarius.

Room Tip: If you're a couple, pay a little extra and take a family room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We've stayed in this hotel for 2 nights (a family of four) in a two bedroom apartment. The apt. was huge, cleaned, very comfortable but hot. In order to visit Paris, we hired a car. Personnally, if you want to visit Paris in its depths this is not the best place to be hosted on. Apart from that, everything was fine, breakfast was very good and complete.One thing good that had was self-service food and drinks 24 hours a day. If guests arrive later hungry, food could be taken from the various machines and be heated in the microwave in that same area. If you're going by car, there is always parking near the hotel so no problem. The city of Cergy is beautiful and I advise you to eat at the restaurant Hypopothamus at Cergy's port.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I booked this hotel for two nights last week to break up our journey home from the south back to Calais and then onto the UK. We booked the showroom apartment a huge 120sqm as this is the only room that sleeps 5 (2 adults, 3 children) this for a price of €270 per night so I was expecting great things especially given the trip advisor reviews.
We were informed that the showroom apartment was then only available for the second night of our stay so they put us in a family apartment with adjoining studio at €280 per night? They wouldn't even do this at the €270 price???
As soon as we walked into the room we were hit by the smell of 'chip fat' it was overwhelming, a previous guest had used a deep fat fryer in the room and it was a terrible stench. (remember these are often used as long term apartments)
I immediately returned to reception and explained the situation but they had no alternative to offer and so we had to make do, even our packed cloth ex smelt of old chip fat when we vacated the room the following day:-(
We went off to Paris for the day (a good 15 minute walk to the RER station and through a underpass that houses many homeless drunk which is not pleasant and frankly quite un-nerving when with three
Children.
We returned late afternoon (5pm) looking forward to moving to the showroom. We got the key and were gobsmacked by what we found, it was literally covered in dog hair and I mean covered. The sofa's, the beds, the floor etc etc. My youngest son is allergic to dog hair and need inhalers so again straight back to reception to move rooms. I was then informed there were no rooms we could be moved to as the hotel was fully booked. They sent a housekeeper to the room who was very rude in his manner who wait for it hand picked dog hairs from the bedding whilst
huffing! I went back to reception and explained we had to be moved, my son would be ill if we stayed in there. He then said we could stay free of charge for the night? Even with this offer my wife was adamant that we could not stay due to the health implications with our son. So I went down again, before I even spoke he informed me that the manager said he now couldn't offer it free of charge!!
So we had to check out and drive back to England a day earlier shattered from being in Paris all day. What's more no discount offered on the smelly room the night before and we had to pay an additional €58 to get the train back a day early!
I've stayed in hundreds of hotels with holidays/work and I have never experienced such appalling service. Avoid this place like the plague. It looks smart but it's basically a factory/warehouse feel with polished concrete Walls and trendy furniture albeit covered in dog hair!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank pitstone01
Reviewed 14 August 2011

These apartments are modern and spacious, situated about 40 mins from the centre of Paris. We enjoyed the space and style of the apartment however there were a few problems.
The apartment floor was absolutely filthy. Student union bar, old sticky beer style dirty. Made the soles of our feet black within a few minutes.
Some of the crockery in the cupboard was dirty.
There is no ventilation in the bathroom and no air con.
Reception desk staff seemed a bit fed up and were not very welcoming.
Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Mystic17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cergy
0.3 km away
Premiere Classe Cergy Pontoise
#11 of 19 in Cergy-Pontoise
3.3 km away
Ibis Budget Cergy Saint Christophe
Ibis Budget Cergy Saint Christop...
#3 of 19 in Cergy-Pontoise
4.6 km away
Le Green Des Impressionnistes

Been to Olivarius Apart'hotel Cergy? Share your experiences!