Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Corey H

Old and slow

Review of Scandic Aulanko
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 2 Jul 2023
Everything is old and needs a massive refit they have pulled up carpet in areas and left the underlay exposed.The rooms look like the last refit was in the 60s It has everything you could need but there is no staff to service anything, which leads to nothing been open and really slow service. The reception always has a line because during peek time there is only one person there. You can never guess if the bar will be open and when it isn’t there are long lines to the restaurant counter with people wanting drinks which makes the restaurant service slow. With a refit a massive hiring of staff and all facilities open it would be a fantastic place to stay. But unfortunately I couldn’t recommend it due to poor service due to a lack of staff, facilities not open and the ancient rooms.
Date of stay: June 2023
Room Tip: Have plenty of time because everything done here takes a long time.
Trip type: Travelled with family
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
2.0 of 5 bubblesService
Scandic Aulanko, Other at Scandic Aulanko, responded to this review
Responded 1 Aug 2023
Hi, thank you for your visit and for writing us this review. It's a shame that we couldn't meet your expectations and offer the level we want to give our guests.
Original SH Vaakuna Hameenlinna Terassi
        31.0 km from Scandic Aulanko
        • Agoda.com
        31.0 km from Scandic Aulanko
        View more hotels in Hameenlinna
        All reviews spa hotel adventure park beautiful scenery tennis courts riding school old fashion free of charge nice view nature lake bowling minus sauna lover golf
        Selected filters
        Reviewed 26 June 2023

The dinner buffet was bad and the room was old and shabby. We had to wait an hour in line to check in and get our room. The pools were nice though. The Prison museum in Hämeenlinna was very interesting.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
        Reviewed 16 June 2023

Stayed one night in this old hotel in the beginning of june, which is just before rush season. The hotel is cosy at some level but sometimes you need to do something to refresh the facilities. The spa could use some renovation too. For example the very small outdoor pool is so small and dirty that you simply just don't want to be there. Big pool is ok. Breakfast is ok but it seems like no one in the staff cared that the beverages automat was not working properly and some food was not available, and still it was not rush hour in the morning. My biggest concern though is the hotels restaurant "Little Italy" that seems nice but has got to get guests furious. Had dinner there and I would say the restaurant was 3/4 full at that evening. The staff seemed very stressed when I arrived but I got a table and sat down. Ordered their Little Italy burger with french fries and a glass of wine. Time went by and other guest started to get their food before me. I also noticed that some guests started to ask for their food by going to the bar counter, because the staff would almost ignore them at the tables. After waiting 1 hour and 15 minutes I kindly asked if my food was coming soon. One guy in the staff mumbled something about "I don't know what they do in the kitchen.." and one lady said she would check and and then came to tell me that my food was coming soon. She also apologized and said I would get my glass of wine for free. I got my burger 5 minutes later but it was very dull and poorly made. Not restaurant quality. No one came and asked if it was ok and no one looked at me so I had to walk to the bar again and ask if I could pay. Then I heard a couple ask for their dessert a second time so my guess is that they got some bad reviews that evening. Hopefully they can do better when peak season starts!

Review collected in partnership with Scandic Hotels
        Reviewed 15 May 2023

Date of stay: May 2023
        Review collected in partnership with Scandic Hotels
        This review is the subjective opinion of an individual traveller and not of Tripadvisor LLC nor of its partners. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
        Scandic Aulanko, Other at Scandic Aulanko, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2023

Reviewed 14 May 2023 via mobile

I see from previous reviews that they have a from The book answer "due to the unusually long period of heat wave The rooms are Hot. Well, we stayed here 13-15.5 during spring. It had been unusually cold (6-8C) just couple of Days before we arrived and during our arrival there had Been two warmer days with a day temp of 22-23C. Our room temp was 27 when we arrived, 29 next moring, 30 the morning after that. The lady in the reception was appologetic but said there's nothing to Be done since the hotel doesn't have air con. She did offer to bring us a portable fan but we refused cos it can't be used during night time.
        This hotel is no real Scandic. It used to be Cumulus till 2018 which was a budget chain aquired by Scandic. So there's a new logo, but everything else seems to be tarnished Cumulus standard from decades ago. The hotel is extremely worn out, no renovations have ever been made, so it holds together with more or less duck tape. I attached some picks from our room to prove the point. I gave two stars cos I have been in one star hotels in my youth and this is better but not with a long margin.

Date of stay: May 2023
        Trip type: Travelled with family

Hi, Thank you for your visit and for writing us this review. It's a shame that we couldn't quite meet your expectations and offer the level we want to give our guests.

Reviewed 9 May 2023

Blood on the mattress was still visible through clean sheets. Not nice.
        There was some jumping insects on the floor. I have no idea what they were.
        Toilet seat was leaking badly and one of the three lamps was broken. Toilet paper was on the table, not on the holder, which was annoying.
        Room was approximately clean and air was fresh, but the overall feeling was shabby.
        Dining was not possible during the evening eventhough I was told it is possible. Reason was "the hotel is almost full." There was plenty of room, dozens of tables were empty, but kitchen did not work.
        Pool side was better. Pool cafeteria was quite poor though. Pool area was not that crowded, even if the hotel was, but showers were horrible. You got burning hot water after few seconds of shower. I burned myself. Steam sauna is barely warm, salt sauna is a joke (there is two salt lamps in the sauna - nothing else salty), but ordinary sauna is nice.
        There was no room for car on the parking lot, so I parked on a grass. Not nice. Walk from the lobby, to my room was long. I mean LONG. Where are carts for luggace or service? Where?
        I came here for relaxation and room was quiet. That was a big plus. The window was straight to the parking lot, so I could't keep curtains open. Minus.
        Breakfast was nice, healthy and included everything possible, exept special coffees - that I was missing.
        I think I'll go somewhere else next time..

Room tip: Take your own slippers. You dont get them for free and without them your travel to spa is loooong.
        Date of stay: April 2023
        • Trip type: Travelled solo

It was wonderful to read that our breakfast was tasty.