“STUPENDOUS”

and 1 more site!
Southern Ocean Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kingscote
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Words are not enough to brag about this hotel, Stunning in all aspects, staff are great, the open bar a delight for a night cap, views forever.....and the list goes on.... Lovely to be in a national park area too.

2  Thank Neil B

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We spent 4 nights in an Ocean Retreat Room. The Lodge and location are simply magnificent. The view at the entrance and from the room were spectacular.

From the pick up at the airport and for the next four days we had a great time. The food, the staff, the service all excellent.
Our room was spacious with a walkin robe and a handy shelf that ran along the length of it ! With a power point for charging your phone etc. Gowns, plenty of hanging space and a cupboard with safe. Large bathroom with separate shower, large freestanding bath with the "view". My only complaint about the room is the handbasins are two large and take up too much space on the vanity. The bed was comfy and warm - loved coming back after dinner to the fire going. Two large swivel chairs to take in the view.
All the meals were great, the pancakes and poached eggs at breakfast were perfection. The wines at dinner were very good. My husband loved the cellar selection process. An Tim made a great gin and tonic with pepper ! All the staff at the Lodge were friendly. Loved the chocolate kangaroos on you pillow at night.
We did a walk and an "experience" every day and they were all great. The guides are very knowledgeable about KI. Outside our room we saw a goanna and an a echidna several times. We both took hundreds of photos - the place is just so photogenic !
It was very windy while we were there so don't expect good hair days - or wear a cap !

We would love to come back - but we need to go to Capella first.

1  Thank rojaan1
BaillieLodgesAust, General Manager at Southern Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Dear Rojaan

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are so pleased to hear that you experienced all of the things that make a stay at Southern Ocean Lodge truly special, from the friendly local wildlife to the delicious cuisine and all of the little touches that we know really make a difference to your comfort.

We are certain you'll love Capella Lodge just as much, and all of the team at Southern Ocean Lodge look forward to welcoming you back to our wonderful island.

Warm regards
John Hird & Alison Heath
Lodge Managers, Southern Ocean Lodge

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Pheasant is my new found joy. Here straight from the kitchen, its ingredients, paired with apple, sage, caraway and bacon brings out the earthy sweetness. Time out is a resource better remembered when taken and this estate does it with kudos. Every direction produces ultimate views that dazzle and surprise, like loitering in the morning in my birthday suit one misty morning and forgetting modesty. Ahhh, holidays, who cares. Took several tours which were informative, casual and always yielding food of surprising generosity. My room was large boasting a view that will stay in my day and night memories. Incredible Five days

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I won't lie - I spent the best part of four days looking for a reason to dock them a mark on this review. I was that guy.
To my extreme pleasure, I couldn't find one and trust me - I was looking!
There was a bit of back and forth required to ensure that we had a seamless experience (that is; they wanted to know how and at what time we were arriving) before we were anywhere near the lodge, but it paid off in spades when we had finally arrived.
We were met upon arrival by Angelique who shared our personalised itinerary with us over a drink - the perfect blend of rest and light activity, but all carefully planned around some delicious and oversized meals!
I probably don't need to ramble as honestly the Baillie group do a pretty good job at self promotion... but take the time. Look at some pictures. Know that the tours are averagely presented but incredible experiences. The food is generous but overwhelmingly wonderful. And the people running the place couldn't bend far enough backwards for you - but they won't stop trying!
It's incredible. We can't afford to do it a lot.
Do it at least once.

Room Tip: There are several available tiers - we were so happy in the entry level option because the view will...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lachy S
Reviewed 10 September 2017

After a busy year I really needed some time out and a truly relaxing holiday. Southern Ocean Lodge delivered all this and more. The location is stunning, especially if you are in to nature, and the accommodation was breath-taking. The quality of the meals is outstanding and the staff were so friendly and welcoming - amazing service. The tours were very informative and gave a real insight to the wonders of this island. I wish I had stayed longer...I can't wait to go back! Thank-you so much Southern Ocean Lodge!

1  Thank Neverhome_3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingscote
9 km away
82 km away
Kangaroo Island Acacia Apartments
80.7 km away
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn

Been to Southern Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!