“1 night stay”

Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel
Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Cessnock
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Room was quite large and clean but lacked a box of tissues a necessity for me, very quiet in room even though close to main road...sadly lacked dining room.....breakfast delivered to room was tasty and eggs cooked just right

Room Tip: not sure which room best they would all be quiet
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sydneygirl23

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We decided to stay here in the last minute and i really wish we hadn’t.

We stayed in one of the family rooms. The room was very basic, it consisted of 3 beds (1 x double and 2 x singles), an ensuite, kettle and television. during our stay we noticed several cockroaches, the room was quite unclean and had to uncomfortably to listen to the owners arguing in the hallways. We also noticed when going out to the car in the middle of night that the front door to the motel was not locked and anyone could just walk straight into the hotel with no key.

To this point it was ok, what really wasn’t ok happened after we checked out.

Upon our arrival back home we checked the bank account too find that the hotel had charged us an additional $50 without any notification, when we called the motel to question this, the owner accused one if my children of wetting the bed and advised that this is a charge for the additional cleaning.

If my child had wet the bed i would have no problem paying an extra $50 for him to wash the mattress protector (which i would imagine should be getting washed anyway ) the funny thing is my children are very young and neither actually slept in the beds. we put blankets down on the floor as we were scared they would fall off the high beds onto the hard floor and hurt themselves.

When i questioned this with the owner he became very abusive and threaten to charge my card more if we complained and advised that he can charge whatever he wants to my credit card. when i advised that I would be writing this review he then stated that doing so would also be at an extra charge. I have now had to cancel my credit card. It was like he saw my young kids and saw dollar signs.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 1 September 2017

Having read the above review, we believe there are some errors/miscommunication with the events that took place. We must clarify the following:
- one of the guests did indeed wet the bed. There were photos taken to prove this. The $50 we charged hardly covers the cost and time spent in cleaning the mattress protector, electrical blanket and the mattress as they all smell of urine.
- our staff called the guests twice shortly after they left to tell them of the $50 charge made to their credit card. There was no answer and therefore a text message was left to inform them ( we have phone records to prove this ).
- the guests called later in the afternoon to dispute the charges and threaten to write a review online. When it was stated by the guest that a bad review was to be made, the operator said that they would still charge $50 even if this was the case (as it there was proof that bed was wet). This may have been misunderstood or misconstrued but the following was NOT said:
1. We did not say we would charge whatever the amount we like.
2. We did not say we would charge for giving bad reviews.
- the room booked consisted of 1 queen and 2 singles. These beds are not overly high as they are standard beds (not bunk beds). The claim that the room was unclean with cockroaches seems unusual as it was also stated that the children slept on the floor.
- there were other guests staying at our property. It is not uncommon for the door to be temporarily left open for short periods of times when they wish to step outside for a cigarette. Management frequently check to ensure the doors are closed for the safety of guests.
- no argument took place in the hallways as our staff were just having a conversation in a language other than English that the guests may found irritating.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

The guy that check me in was not friendly at all, in fact I felt as though I was interrupting his day. I was entitled to free wifi but he didn't give me the password. The room smelt stale as did the bed sheets. The hotel was cheap which was the only plus.
We had a very early start and there was no lights in hallway and I could not find a light switch

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Booked here last minute after reading positive online reviews.

walking in the door I realised that the date that I booked on was in fact in 2 weeks time and not that day as it was a last minute online booking. I told the owner operators about my mistake and they were very understanding and helpful to cancel the booking in a way so that I wouldn't be charged a cancellation fee.

The rooms are clean and great value. Has everything you could need for a stop over in the hunter and it's vey conveniently located just off a main thoroughfare. Beautifully manicured gardens as well. A good choice for a stay in the hunter valley.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank BigKeVvi
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

A little bit out of town, so not close to shops, restaurants etc. friendly staff but rooms are noisy, can easily hear other people's conversations - and what sounded like an argument with a guest and management.
Would be a lot better if they still operated a restaurant.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cessnock
2.6 km away
2.9 km away
Hunter Valley Motel
Hunter Valley Motel
#14 of 16 in Cessnock

Been to Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel? Share your experiences!