All reviews heat pump bowling alley queen bed the main road handy location stay there again roomy town christchurch pillows supermarket kitchen
Reviewed 4 October 2018

The bed was comfortable and the heat pump was a bonus there were no sky movies (which we were looking forward to.) We were greeted with a smile in reception and the manager was friendly. The room was warm.

Room tip: choose a room back from the road
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Rung up got a good deal. 2 singles and a queen bed. Handy location, electric blankets, tempermental heatpump, no sky movies, good bath, leaky toilet, moths in light fixture, electric blanket on queen bed doesn't work, not too bad for the price. Would stay again if here another time.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Marjorie F, Manager at Ascot Motel Oamaru, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Hi there, sorry that you felt things werent working as good as they should be, we rely on people telling us, when things arent right so we can correct them. Unfortunately first I have heard of this problem. I presume you were in room 23 upstairs according to your name on our booking grid. I have taken a note of the issues and will follow up to make sure these things are sorted out. These units have not been done up and we do hope to revamp them in the near future. We look forward to you coming again. I wonder did you tell the person on the counter of these issues? I would have been on, on this day if it is the booking I think it is and have not been told of these issues. So glad to eventually hear of them. kind regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

We had booked this motel months in advance for the Steampunk Festival, we run a business and have a stall at the Steampunk market so this is a very important weekend for us. We received a call from booking.com at 5pm telling us that there had been an issue with our booking. When we got there we found out that Richard had put the dates into his system wrong and booked out our room to someone else. We had travelled quite away for this weekend and this is the busiest weekend of the year in Oamaru so there was very little accomodation. We tried to find out what had gone wrong and Richard would not be held responsible, he got very aggressive and threatened to effectively kick us off the premises. Booking.com managed to find us other accommodation and Richard did agree to pay the difference, and he admitted this is not the first time this has happened. This was quite a traumatic experience for us, and frankly a person like that should not be running a business. If you'd like to stay somewhere with terrible customer service, appalling management and an unprofessional attitude then go ahead and book your stay at the Ascot

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank jadeaerinn
Marjorie F, Manager at Ascot Motel Oamaru, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

I am very sorry for the experience you have had. I am one of the people who does the desk when Richard isn't there. I know how very frustrating it can be. We don't actually put the bookings on the computer. When you go thru Booking.com they totally act as agent. The booking is electronically transmitted to our Booking Grid and until you come and check in is when we find out if there is an issue. I know on talking to other motels they have similar issues and yes it is very frustrating. I am so sorry for your experience and wish you only the best for the future.

I have once been put in this situation and found it very embarrasing and frustrating as we pay Booking.com money to be an agent, and trust that they will get this right. kind regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Indeed the motel does not look that great from the outside. It is old.
Now I got a unit at the back when I asked if there were some rooms at the back. Very quiet and unfortunately I am very noise sensitive. A great stay.
The unit was large and had a comfy bed. There was a small kitchen section well furnished.
The bathroom was fine. The shower had good pressure and there was no delay to get hot water
Check-in and check-out were both very efficient and staff extremely friendly. Not only friendly but helpful and fun to talk to.
Well beyond my expectations when looking from the outside :-)

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Marjorie F, Manager at Ascot Motel Oamaru, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Hello Erick, thank you for reviewing out Motel, so glad you enjoyed your stay, we hope to see you again.
All the Best.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

This motel is undoubtedly one of the worst we have every stayed in in NZ!

Whilst the reception staff were friendly enough the room we had was absolutely terrible. No window (other than the front door out onto the general first floor balcony & casual seating area) & a window in the bathroom out onto the extremely noisy (all night!) main road.

The bathroom was very old fashioned & the loo was a disgrace! The double bed was so uncomfortable my wife actually moved out during the night to sleep in the casual bed in the main room!

All the facilities & decor was tired & badly in need of an update, parking totally random & a combination of lack of fresh air & road noise made it impossible to get a decent nights sleep!

Avoid at all costs unless there are no other rooms available in Oamaru!

Room tip: If you must stay here check your room before paying! Ours had no windows & was extremely noisy all night!
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Marjorie F, Manager at Ascot Motel Oamaru, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Sorry you feel that way , you did get one of the oldest rooms. We have recently taken over the motel and have renovated 5 rooms to the highest professional standard possible. TIKI TANE stayed here and could not say enough about how happy he was with his accommodation.
You paid $112.50 and these days for that price for two unfortunately it is priced to sell very cheap. We are slowly doing these motels units up one by one and everyone who stays in a new units is more than pleased. We are one of the largest motels in Oamaru. We have clients who wont stay anywhere else.
All the best for the future. kind regards.