“Excellent ”

Ranked #1 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Oamaru
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped in here a few weeks ago and the food was amazing!! The staff were so hospitable and I loved the blend of coffee, so nice! I definitely plan on stopping back in again :)

1  Thank courtneybarrow98
Twinette, Owner at Steam Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review of Steam Cafe. We roast our own coffee beans in our roaster in the cafe which is a point of difference from other cafes. And yes our staff are a friendly lot. Once again Thankyou and call again if you are passing. Regards Steam

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Sunday morning and we are traveling to Christchurch. We had heard about a small cafe in the town called Steam and thought a light breakfast and a good coffee would start us on our way. What a great start it was. Coffee to die for, the scrambled eggs, bacon and tomatoes fabulous. Fresh hot and yummy. Derek and Toni in the kitchen great warm atmosphere. It was early morning for us and raining but I noticed a well enclosed and safe playground for the kids out the back. When we return this will be the first place we come to. How sad we only found it on our last. I heartily recommend Steam Cafe.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Had high hopes from the reviews but firstly looked sorry. Only free range eggs on menu not in cabinet food. They roast their own coffee but unsure what they are roasting as bizarrely undrinkable.

Twinette, Owner at Steam Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

I am sorry to hear about your experience at Steam Cafe. As you can see from our previous reviews and which you mentioned, our coffee and food are very highly regarded. Our Barista did recall your visit and your mention of undrinkable coffee. The only reason for this was that there could have been an overroasted bean which can cause the coffee makes the coffee extremely bitter. Our barista did offer to make you another but you refused. Please make yourself known to me next time you are in Oamaru and your coffee will be complimentary.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

I'm traveling New Zealand from Auckland to Dunedin and Oamaru has been my favourite so far. This cafe was so amazing,the staff was so friendly and inviting. I stayed for long time and had a beautiful giant sausage for my lunch with a freshly juice. There were so many delicious option for lunch I wanted to eat it all! The staff were so helpful with my directions. I would recommend this cafe 10/10.

Twinette, Owner at Steam Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thankyou so much for your review of Steam Cafe. We do strive to be the best. We have very loyal and wonderful staff and our Baristas have a passion for making coffee. My husband roasts all the beans in our roaster in the cafe which is another standout fact. All our food is made on the premises with as much local product as is available and our cakes muffins and slices are all made from scratch. Thankyou again for your review and have a lovely holiday in our lovely country.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

We had visited this place a year ago and thought we would pop in again on our way through oamaru. My husband ordered a long black with cream on side and I a tea and cinnamon brioche. The cafe didn't seem that busy but our order took a while to arrive. The coffee was less than half full and luke warm - hardly drinkable and many face grimaces were pulled. My tea was fine and the brioche was good. Bit of a let down as we had enjoyed the cafe much more last time.