All reviews red kettle close to town the kitchen hostel supermarket bathroom heater wifi
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I really appreciate to stay there. I got a spotless and very comfortable hostel. The hostess is very friendly and attentive. It has all facilities to stay for a time. The kitchen is fully equipped and the toilet has a nice hot shower.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at YHA hostels across the world and this was a disappointment. We arrived and the lady on reception was initially late back - 4 plus guests were sitting outside waiting to be checked in.

Then over the course of our 2 night stay the lady on reception was extremely rude and unhelpful. If I thought it would have made a difference I would have complained and maybe even asked for a refund. It genuinely was poor and set the tone for the stay.

The hostel is old fashioned and cold. The bunks are are uncomfortable and bathroom is small and weird (there is only one shower).

Oamaru is beautiful and a bit of a hidden gem, worth a day visit at least. That said I would (and I don’t like saying this) avoid this YHA.

Positives - the location isn’t bad.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2017

We had a great time staying at the Red Kettle, the owner couldn't have been more accommodating and friendly. The rooms are comfortable, you get 1GB of WiFI which turned out to be plenty if you're out and about all day.
The kitchen had everything you might need and the bathrooms were kept clean.
Overall this is a really nice homely hostel and we had a great time staying there!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

What a bad experience I had at YHA OAMARU. We paid everything for today and the booking was confirmed, but when we arrived there, it is closed for annual holidays. Well done, you have leave me a bad impression and I would not recommend my friends and family to stay at your hostel.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank YiX99
Reviewed 9 June 2017

Stayed at this YHA for two nights with an amazing host. Even though the place is small, its really clean and the lady is super nice and central, safe location close to shops, supermarket etc. Visited last winter, where it wasn't busy.

Room Tip: Chose corner double room
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple