New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Airport Skyway Lodge

Airport Skyway Lodge
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Berlin, Germany
“No room available, owner yelled at us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

although we booked the room and stated the arrival time there was no room available when we arrived at the hostel late at night (the flight was one hour late but that doesn't count as an excuse). we were supposed to sleep on the couch and got into an argument with the owner. he was unbelievably rude and called us "disgusting" and "unthankful". the only positive thing is that they didn't charge us for airport pick up and drop off when we left the place instantly.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank w0rldtravelers2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

The Skyway lodge is a great deal for the budget traveller. Close to the airport. Friendly, excellent management that goes the extra mile. My spouse and our adult children have stayed here several times over the past 6 months.

If you are arriving or departing from Auckland airport, and are on a budget, the Skyway Lodge is the place to be. Next time I arrive in New Zealand for a trip I will definitely stay there again. One unexpected plus is that the many departing travellers off-load their remaining food supplies so it's a great way to stock up on basics like salt, pepper, spices, etc. for your trip.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed here a couple of nights after arriving in New Zealand at 2am. The shuttle was only $5 and 24 hour pick up which was great for us.

The place itself isn't close to anything but the airport really, you can catch a bus into town from across the road at $10 return but it's a good 45 minutes away. There's an indian restaurant, a seafood restaurant, doctor and small shop a 5 minute walk away but not much else.

We booked a double room and it was outside of the main building but it was clean and very convenient at the time. The owner's wife was friendly and although her english wasn't amazing I wouldn't say she could speak any like some people have commented. The owner himself was nice enough and tried to be helpful but I feel the place would benefit from some proper organisation. The kitchen was nice, clean and well equipped but the place could do with some more toilets/bathrooms.

In conclusion I would recommend staying here if you have a late or early flight its great and he can drop you off (as well as pick up) to the airport. Otherwise, maybe try some where in town.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
rotorua
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

I booked a double room a few days ahead, when we arrived I was so shocked at the place because on the web it looks nicer, the manager was unprofessional she could not speak english well and the room had a horrible mould smell which the owner tried to cover up with cheap perfume. I wanted to leave and pay more money for safty and comfort at another hotel, but I had already payed her, so I rang her to get a new room, she showed me other rooms that were also smelly, damp and scary, so we just stayed in the first one, I could not sleep as I felt uneasy staying there.

The next morning I was confronted by a man maybe the husband, he started abusing me for writing over my name in the visiters book that they kept on table for all to see, I only felt that my personal information should be kept private which is why I drew over my details.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank neveragainiswear

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

We stayed at the beginning and end of our time in New Zealand, we were pleased to be picked up at the airport at midnight and taken to our campervan rental office next day, for a reasonable extra charge. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the kitchen is well equipped and the atmosphere in the sitting room is welcoming and relaxed. The shared bathrooms were also clean and of sufficient quantity. The location is very convenient for the airport and within walking distance of shops and inexpensive restaurants. The pleasant atmosphere reflects the attitude of the owners and the hard work they put in to making everyone feel welcome.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple