“Beautiful garden with a great motel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Emeraldene Inn & Eco-Lodge
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Hervey Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful garden with a great motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We booked emeraldene on the strength of some excellent reviews and were not disappointed. Rob, the proprieter, couldn't have been more helpful, arranging Fraser Island and whale watching trips that were wonderful experiences. We were upgraded to a superior room and enjoyed the experience so much that we stayed an extra 2 days to explore the area and relax by the pool. The motel was spotlessly clean and great value

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emeraldene, Owner at Emeraldene Inn & Eco-Lodge, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your kind words and review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also got to experience Fraser Island and the whales whilst you were here.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and it would be wonderful to see you again in the future (maybe we can send you to Lady Elliot!!).

Rob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have just spent 3 nights in Hervey Bay at the Emeraldene in one of their new Superior Rooms. The occasion was my wife’s 70th birthday, and I booked one the Emeraldene’s Freedom Whale Watch Packages. The service from the outset was just sensational! Rob organised our whole trip for us, including ticketing for the Tilt Train from the Gold Coast to Hervey Bay and back. The Package included 3 nights accommodation and a ¾ day whale watch trip on Freedom 3 (including a free hat).
We have stayed at the Emeraldene once before about 2 years ago. We last stayed in a Deluxe Room but tried the newly renovated Superior Rooms this time. These rooms are just great, and well worth the extra ($15?) / night. Big wall mounted flat screen tele, free ground plunger coffee and bottled water in the room, very nice toiletries and great water pressure in the shower. The furnishings and bedding are all new and the room is very big compared to normal hotel rooms. We found the kitchenette very useful as we were able to prepare our own breakfast every day.
Freedom Whale Watch was an amazing experience (separate review) and Rob recommended a new restaurant in the area – “Coast” ( separate review) – for the special birthday dinner. This was a memorable dining experience equal to anything we have tried in Brisbane or Sydney.
All in all our second amazing stay at the Emeraldene and we will be back again. Contrary to a previous review we have stayed on the Esplanade in the past and it is noisy until the early hours of the morning. We find the hotel is close enough to everything we needed, and the service is second to none! Well done!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oz_WandererGoldCoast
Hi Oz_Wanderer,

Thanks for your wonderful review. I am thrilled that you chose to stay with us again for your special occasion, and that you were so impressed with our new Superior Rooms. We have just this week gone even further with these rooms and put new King beds in the double rooms as well as new I-Pod docks.

Thanks again for spending your celebration with us, and we look forward to seeing you again for the next special occasion.

Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

We booked Emeraldene on the basis of the terrific reviews on Trip Advisor (Cliffordchambers review had not been posted then) . Yes, it is spotlessly clean, staff could not be more helpful but the Motel is miles away from the Marina where the Whale watch boats leave from. We had booked our Whale Trip and were picked up outside the Emeraldine, it took 45 mins in the courtesy bus picking up other clients along the way. There is no where in walking distance to eat which meant my husband could not enjoy a drink with his meal because he was driving. Second night we booked the Boat Club Courtesy bus to the Marina for dinner at the Club, this time it was an hour with picking other customers up along the way.

There is a large construction site next door and we received a letter of apology on arrival from the Management for the noise which starts at 7.00 a.m. in the morning. We are talking major drilling and banging so no chance of a lay in.

The Emeraldene is a beautifully kept site but we found were it is positioned so far from everywhere to be a major disadvantage for us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mercury50
Emeraldene, Owner at Emeraldene Inn & Eco-Lodge, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Hi Mercury50,

Thank-you for your review and comments. I appreciate your praise for our immaculately clean rooms and facilities and our beautiful gardens and surrounds, as well as the exemplary service. I am sorry that you found our location to be an inconvenience.

Hervey Bay is a difficult town to navigate regardless of where you stay, as it is spread out over approx 15km, and there is no centre of town as such. The Bay started as numerous villages which have all grown together over time, and there is nowhere where you can find a variety of restaurants or facilities grouped together for convenience.

The Emeraldene is one of the closest accommodations (only 3 minutes) from the main Stockland Shopping Centre in town and there are a multitude of great restaurants down this end of town that we recommend for guests. Mr Seafood is a 10 minute walk to the end of the street, and we have 6 restaurants that deliver direct to our rooms if you wish to order in. Our rooms also feature self-catering facilities.

As you were staying during the peak of school holidays and whale watch season, the courtesy transfers to the marina were extremely busy, with many guests to collect from around town. We advise guests that they can drive directly to the marina if they wish, which is only 10 minutes from our property. Similarly the Boat Club shuttle can be very slow during school holidays, and we advise a Limo down to the Club ($15) and the free shuttle back is the best course of action.

I sincerely apologise for the excavation work (now complete) that was occurring next door during your stay. I can genuinely assure you that the comfort of my guests is my highest priority and the impact that this construction may have had on my guests has caused me great anxiety. After 7 years of tirelessly striving to provide my guests with the highest quality of comfort and service I am distressed that 3 weeks of road works and construction nearby (over which I have no control) could impact upon a guest’s assessment and rating of our property and service.

Our location affords us many advantages, allowing us to offer 2 acres of beautiful gardens and a wonderful tranquil setting with a multitude of native bird and wildlife. The majority of our guests appreciate the advantages of our location, our superior service, our impeccably clean rooms and recognise that we remain on the doorstep of all that Hervey Bay has to offer.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

First of all let me start with the fact that Rob is not just a hotelier but a gentleman, a knowledgeable person and a friend as well. I had bombarded him with e-mails for last one year and the replies were always honest, prompt and to the point. He helped me to build a package for Hervey Bay, Fraser Island & Lady Elliot Island.
I do partly agree with the previous reviewer's comment that the road was busy and there was some construction noise from the hospital they were building next door, but we hardly spent any time in the room during daytime and the noise did not bother us at all in the evenings. The walls were also pretty thick to prevent noise from neighbours.
It is a bit of a drive from the Promenade but with a car no problem at all.
We arrived in the middle of a low pressure trough to leave our car with Rob to depart for Lady Elliot and Rob tried his best to cheer us up. He also allowed us to use a bathroom/towels to freshen up after the long drive from Brisbane.
On our return from LEI we moved to one of the family apartments with 2 bunk beds. A novelty for the kids !! A well equipped kitchen and plenty of storage space to throw our stuff in. Spacious bathroom with good shower water pressure. A laundrette just behind our room. The surroundings were lovely with tall trees and flowering shrubs. It was a pleasure to wake up to unknown bird songs. Car parked right in front of our room. Unfortunately did not have the time to check out the pool.
My only gripe ( and Rob did warn me) is that wifi signal was very weak in the family apartment section, as it was the farthest from the office and it was not convenient to come out to the reception area in the night to catch the signal. It was not a big issue for me and my wife was actually very pleased to see me away from the laptop. But if you have teenagers who can't wait for 5 minutes without checking their Facebook status then may get frustrated. Rob never charged me for the internet.
He also keeps small milk cartons, cereal etc which was helpful one evening as we realised our packaged pasta needed milk for cooking.
And lastly have to mention the adorable sheep dog Jess who shares the office with Rob.
During our 3 week holiday we stayed in a number of places and we all agreed this was the best value for money.
We still haven't managed to open the Bundy Rum we picked up from Hervey Bay !!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emeraldene, Owner at Emeraldene Inn & Eco-Lodge, responded to this review, 2 October 2011
Hi Supratik,

Thanks so much for your detailed and kind review. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family after so many months of emails and planning. I know how hard it is to filter through information from afar when planning a trip, as I have spent many years travelling the world myself. I try to help my guests as much as possible in the planning stages with prompt and honest information and local knowledge. I'm just sorry I couldn't have had more influence on the weather conditions while you were here! Despite the poor weather i'm certainly glad you had the opportunity to experience 3 great natural wonders - Lady Elliot Island and the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island and the Whales! I know you had the most awesome time out whale watching and I hope you treasure your memories of Hervey Bay and Australia.

As for that Bundy Rum - I suggest a BBQ of sausages and steak with friends and a few Bundy Rums and coke to remember your trip!

I hope we get an opportunity to see you all again in the future.

Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Sorry to be in a minority of one. The positives: large rooms, immacutely clean and with all basics required for your stay. The negatives: the motel is adjacent to a road that is quite busy during the daytime, noise ceasing after dinner but starting again early morning. From other comments, I expected the rooms to be in the middle of a large garden. This is not the case; they have the car park area at the front door then a treeline behind which is the road, while at the rear side is the entrance driveway. The motel is a good 5 kilometres from the main dining strip at Hervey Bay, a bit of a bind after a hard day's touring and no drinks for the driver!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cliffordchambers
Emeraldene, Owner at Emeraldene Inn & Eco-Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Hi Clifford,

Thank-you for your review.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by road noise whilst you stayed with us in August. Due to damage caused by the floods earlier this year there is a significant amount of road work around Hervey Bay at present. Nissen Street down the road from us is being totally resurfaced, and has resulted in a significant amount of heavy traffic during the day over the past 5 weeks. As you mentioned this has predominantly been truck movements from 9am – 5pm. Urraween Road is not a main road and I can assure you that traffic is normally limited to school movements in the morning and early afternoon. We are unquestionably in one of the quietest locations in Hervey Bay.

I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and our immaculately clean and large rooms. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Australia and it would be great to see you again sometime in the future.