“One of the best hostels I've been to”

Global Village Backpackers
Reviewed 4 September 2015

We really enjoyed our stay. For the price we were expecting very basic accommodation, but our room was fantastic and the lodge overall is one of the best equipped that I have come across. Fantastic decor of statues, ornaments, furniture and pictures from around the world, and a well equipped kitchen. We used the bikes which are free to hire, and paid a really small charge to use the hot tub which was great. We didn't stay long in Greymouth itself and didn't know much about the area, but for the lodge itself I'd recommend a visit.

Room Tip: The private room with its own balcony is lovely
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KateMRBL

Reviewed 27 July 2015

We only stayed here for one night but loved it. Staff provided great recommendations for local sightseeing and food. Room had a fun theme and bathrooms were extremely clean and well kept. Room was quiet for a good sleep and well heated in the winter. Wifi didnt quite reach our room right down the end but was better in the general area.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the main general area have stronger wifi connection!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2015

As soon as I walked into te Global Village backpackers I felt at home. The gentleman who checked me in was very friendly and helpful. The dorm room I was in was big and the bed was comfy and there were free water bottles if you felt a it cold. Each bed has its own light, shelf and, very importantly, its own plug socket which means there was none of the usual scramble and negotiating with roommates to get my phone charged up. The kitchen has some new cookers and sinks and was very well equipped with plenty of tables to sit at. The bathrooms have also been redone recently. The lounge however was my favourite part. It has plenty of sofas in different arrangements with a massive wood burner by the wall in the middle. This meant that the room was warm and cosy and a wonderful place to spend a cold July evening. The decor throughout has a heavy African influence which is wonderful with some really beautiful pieces of art. My only regret is that I only stayed for the one night! I will definitely go back if I go through Greymouth again!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Miaroundtheglobe
Reviewed 29 June 2015 via mobile

What a wonderful place to stay. As soon as we walked in Global host gave us a warm welcome and the homely feel was great. Rooms comfortable and warm with Plenty of power points a must for travelers. Rooms are centrally located close to beautiful bathrooms which are so so clean and fresh. Kitchen is well organised with everything you need. Free wifi. I cant recommend enough for any traveler of any age. Congratulations on operating such a professional lovely place.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julz505
Reviewed 28 June 2015

Fascinating place decorated with tribal artifacts and art from all over the world by the owners. beds were a bit hard for me but not to worry when everything else was so interesting. AMAZING communal kitchen VERY well organised and regularly cleaned by the staff who were mostly backpackers travelling through. it was a pleasure to come home to this place every night. You felt very safe here and alot of friendly people too. Books to read, maps of the world, comfy homely lounge rooms and sunroom to relax in, well run laundry for your own use. ONLY thing I didn't like was that the staff were cleaning the kitchen with the most disgustingly filthy dishcloths which really should have been thrown away each day or two. The kitchen was very very well provisioned in every other way though.

Room Tip: All rooms are very unusual , interesting and quite individual.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple