New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Prince

The Prince
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Sydney, Australia
“Good service but it's tired and noisy. Need an update!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Room: we had a good size room, nice decor, but need updating. There are knocks on wall corners and some visible stains. Built in furniture are also looking tired and need polishing.

Noise: Every night we could hear a drumming noise of what it seems like a door that's not shut or old window that vibrates due to the wind.
The hotel staff kindly offered us to sleep in different room but we were directed to a room that's facing the main street - which is even noisier with the bar downstairs!!!! -. We decided to stay at our room and were provided with ear plugs.

Breakfast: good quality food, worth it if it's included with the room rate.

Service: all the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Overall: It's a nicely designed & decorated hotel, but the rooms facing the streets are very much glorified motel rooms! We were lucky to get a room that faces internally, but still had noise problem (the drumming noise). As it was a converted motel, structurally it is still a motel, very thin walls and really need good sound proofing! They seriously need double glazing on all glass windows and doors! Also there's a small pool in this hotel, and you can smell chlorine wherever you go.

It's a shame that we were dissappointed with this hotel. The website looks great and it potentially can be a really cool luxe hotel even now (I think that was the intention when they first opened years ago!). It's got a nice design aesthetic and feel, but the 'motel' feel of some of the rooms and the sound issues really lets it down.

Room Tip: Get room that faces the internal courtyard
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

I recently stayed at the Prince for the 5th time in the last couple of years and I was really surprised when I read the reviews from other travellers. It's by far my favourite hotel in Melbourne. I love the rooms, the new restaurant looks amazing and the food is great, breakfast is just delicious, rates include breakfast and internet which makes it really good value. And I've never had any issue with noise. The Location in St Kilda is great even it it's not that convenient for the CBD but I'll rather spend 20 mins extra on the tram.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Perthgirl68
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

pretty good location, the food in the restaurant was brilliant (but expensive). probably he best food we had in australia - even compared to a £200/head meal we had in sydney. rooms are ok, but a bit "ikea". beware there is a club underneath so some rooms get bass boom all night!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Everything was going so well. A lovely afternoon in St Kilda, a relaxing bath in the room, an incredible meal at Circa (the truffle risotto is extraordinary): all this undone by noise. I'm not talking about a dull thump from the nightclub below, but vibrations that made my wife think her mobile was ringing. The music woke us up at about 12.30pm and proceeded to get louder as the evening progressed. By 2am, the music was so loud we could actually hear the lyrics.

Of course, I called the front desk who explained that it was "the way it is" and he would pass on my concerns to the manager in the morning. Nothing could be done (even though the music was coming from a room in the same building). Upon checking out, no one was aware we had a problem, and one of the ladies behind the desk asked if we were offered earplugs.

So here's my problem.

The fact that she would ask if I was offered earplugs implies that they know there is a noise problem. Why we would a hotel knowingly sell a room knowing there are noise issues? Because they care more about money than their customers.

We were offered a discount, but it was scant consolation given we had a 9 hour drive to Sydney ahead of us on only a few hours sleep.

I should also mention the room we were in (301) was adjacent to the pool's pump which also made the room quite noisy. The bed was also below standard.

The restaurant is excellent - one of the best meals I've had - but if you are planning on sleeping on a Satrusday, find a bed somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ElCapitanTinto
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

I stayed for one night on business and when I retired for the night at 11 30pm, I got to my room to hear the extremely loud thumping of a nightclub -

I called reception to ask if there was a night club above or below me and they said yes maam - can I bring you some ear plugs! They close at 1am!

The rooms are very small, and the beds uninviting - the bathrooms are very small but functional.

The restaurant Circa downstairs is superb - shame the rooms do not match the quality

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business