“From the basement to the penthouse”
Review of Hotel Launceston

Hotel Launceston
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 13 November 2016

The first room I was given was not great at all, it was on the bottom floor and had a door that basically went out to the carpark (clearly a Motel that has been refurbished into a Hotel). After discussing this with the staff they very kindly moved me to a room upstairs which overlooked the park - it was fantastic!! A lovely room, fantastic veiw, great service. It feels like you can have two experiences in this one Hotel depending on which room you book!

Room Tip: Ask for level 2 room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 20 November 2016

Thank you EmanuelaSavi for the review of your recent stay. We are a hotel in transition (upgrading all our Hotel Launceston rooms into Mercure Branded rooms like the one you ended up staying in), which will only continue to take the entire Hotel to a premium level property. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Launceston again in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Booked this hotel as my "usual" was fully booked. I travel to Launceston regularly for work.

I am thinking about changing hotels! The location is awesome; and the renovated rooms are superb!

I was in a room facing the back of the hotel, it was quiet, well appointed and clean.

Will be trying this hotel again and would recommend you do too!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 20 November 2016

Dear Dan, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Launceston. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we would love to welcome you back on a regular basis.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

The Mercure Launceston is a good, very comfortable and thoroughly pleasant hotel looking out across the City Park. Staff worked over-time to make our two-day stay as enjoyable as possible, from a phone call a day before to check when we were arriving to whether we had any preferences. The room we had was very recently refurbished, had been done stylishly, with well thought out fittings and placement of power-points and the like. Great bathroom and shower. An absolute credit to the designers for working so impressively in the sort of restricted space that used to characterise 1980s motels.

We had a most enjoyable meal in the restaurant - a well thought out menu, very modestly priced which also extended to the wine-list. Staff were attentive and helpful.

Now this is yet another example, from my experience, of the lengths to which the Mercure hotels now go to in order to provide high quality and very affordable accommodation. The ACCOR membership again showed its worth with a room upgrade and 25% off restaurant meals. However every bit as noticeable was the service provided by staff, the friendly and welcoming atmosphere, the willingness to help out with advice and suggestions and the little extras that make a stay that much more enjoyable.

On this experience I'd certainly recommend Mercure Launceston and we'll certainly be back when we are next in Launcestoon.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the second level overlooking the City Park.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 20 November 2016

Dear Mike, We truly appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Launceston. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Launceston.

Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

The Hotel is in a convenient location and many of the rooms are recently renovated. The accompanying restaurant is also not bad although it closes super early for a hotel restaurant.

As a Le Club Accor member with Gold status I was disappointed that the hotel didn't meet the requirements of the program including omission upgrading the room, providing bottled water, providing the drink voucher, welcome pack, early check in etc;

The hotel was also unable to provide a room service later in the day and is dreadfully understaffed.

I wouldn't recommend Le Club Accor guests stay here and instead choose the Sebel.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
TasMarketingManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

As an Accor Le Club Gold Member I thank you for your loyalty.

Thank you for utilising the hotel restaurant, TiTANIUM Bar & Bistro during your stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience! I am pleased you utilised your late check out entitlement prior to your departure on Sunday.

Our Front Desk followed the membership program requirements as prior to your arrival your room allocation was upgraded from the room type you booked, a superior room, to a privilege room situated on the back-side of the main building which is larger in size and includes a nespresso machine, bathrobes, slippers and complimentary snack.

I apologise profusely on behalf of our Front Desk for not having prepared your Accor Loyalty Welcome Pack by the time of your arrival. This certainly is not a common occurrence.

A complimentary bottle of still or sparkling water is available within all room types, usually flagged by a 'with compliments' toggle. I endeavour to ensure this procedure is continued within the House Keeping Department. If notified of your concern Front Desk would have delivered bottled water to your room immediately. Please be advised, our friendly team members are available for assistance of any kind, any time.

We are disappointed to receive your review, although we thank you for your constructive feedback. Should you be in Launceston on another occasion please phone direct and we will ensure your experience is very different to this stay.

Reviewed 6 November 2016

My partner chose and booked the Mercure for its location, as well as its apparent recent refurbishment.
After arriving (on the Friday for a two-night stay), the cheery receptionist checked us into a room on level one, city end away from the street. The receptionist went on to mention there was a birthday celebration booked in the hotel function room on the Saturday night and that we may hear some noise. She added that if it happened to bother us, we could call and they would do something about it. We found that a bit odd, but figured it couldn’t possibly be too much of a problem.
We settled in to our comfortable and well-appointed room and freshening up, then went down to the bistro/bar for a few pre-dinner drinks and a meal. While ordering our first round of drinks, I asked about the bistro, only to be told there was an 18th birthday celebration booked in there, hence no tables were available. We were invited to order a bar meal if we liked. As it turned out, we weren’t that hungry, so that suited us. But we did wonder what other paying guests may think.
The next morning, after a good night’s sleep I remember saying to my partner that I was surprised (and happy) how quite our room was. I didn’t hear any street noise and hardly heard any other guest noise (this hotel doesn’t have self-closers on the room doors, which I think is a GREAT thing).
On the Saturday evening, after arriving back in our room (we ate dinner elsewhere), we were surprised at how much noise we could hear coming from the function room. It sounded like people were right outside our door (despite them being a floor below us). And then the music started up. Obviously, we did not want to have to pack up our belongings and relocate to another room and we also didn’t want to ruin some poor person’s birthday party, so we endured it.
What I am trying to say (in this rather wordy review) is that management need to decide if they wish to be a hotel that provides quality accommodation or if they want to be a function centre. My experience tells me it is not currently viable to try to be both. It also appears that functions are currently getting priority, which is detrimental to the accommodation guest experience.

Room Tip: Inquire about any functions they may have book during your stay
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MotoScoddie
TasMarketingManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Hello MotoScoddie.

Thank you for visiting TiTANIUM Bar & Bistro. We encourage all guests to reserve a table in advance to avoid disappointment. I am sorry our restaurant was fully booked the evening you hoped to dine.

Thank you for your feedback, your review will be taken into consideration.

I am pleased you found our CBD location convenient and thrilled you enjoyed your first night stay with us. I apologise for the noise you experienced on your final night with us.

With our CBD location we have enforced a number of systems and procedures to achieve the upmost of guest satisfaction in all sectors of the hotel. We have strict policies in place to ensure that rooms are correctly allocated to mirror the room type booked. The window fixtures have recently been replaced with the top of the range double-glazing to prevent or limit external noise. The hotel offers room moves at the hotel's expense which is at the guest's disposal. Our Food & Beverage Department manages and monitors sound for all events held on-site.

I apologise on behalf of the entire team and hope to welcome you back another time. Should you be in Launceston on another occasion please phone direct and we will ensure your experience is very different to this stay.