“The 3 star average rating says it all.....”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I am not sure if this place was a disappointment as to be honest I was not sure what to expect.

Location is excellent, and the golf course top notch with the pro in the shop one of the friendliest and most helpful you will find.

The whole place just needs a good lick of paint and a clean and spruce up to bring it into the 2000's!!!

It amuses me to see people who complain about buffets - they are what they are. Book a nice restaurant, there are plenty up there!!!

This place is fine at best, could be better, but could be worse. However, there are many nicer B&Bs to try out in the Hunter region.

Room Tip: Book a 2 bedroom villa or more.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RussH79
PokolbinJulieP, Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for posting up an honest, straightforward review of your experience and observations on our feed. We are in the midst of renovations and upgrades to the Resort facilities and Villas. This is ongoing and takes time, however we’re sure that once complete our visitors will be impressed! I’m happy to hear that you found the service helpful and friendly at the Golf Shop, and yes the golf course continues to be a draw card for visitors and locals alike, even with the wet weather of late. We are making improvements to the food served at our onsite restaurant, and hoping that our buffet will cater to the same tastes one would expect at any of the fine restaurants in the Hunter region. There are some lovely B&B’s in the Hunter, this completely depends on an individual’s needs and desires - some people like quaint and private homes and others prefer the convenience and facilities of a major resort. I hope to see you back at Cypress Lakes in the future, and that this time you’ll walk away with only the best impression.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort

Reviewed 31 January 2012

On the whole, Cypress lakes is pretty good. Nice enough facilities, great location, and the rooms are bright and airy. Avoid the 1 bedroom places though, unless there's just 2 of you and you're not going to be spending much time indoors. They're literally half the size (total) of the 2 bedroom ones.
Hiring through a private rental place may mean the places aren't as nice, but they're far better value, likewise last minute websites.
The place cannot be beaten for central location, laid back environment, random wildlife, and access to the best of the Hunter Valley.
Avoid Bodega Bar at all costs. A freaking rip off with rude staff. Was overcharged for a cocktail and the staff were rude and dismissive about it. Straight out disgusting to try to justify $24 for a White Russian because it isn't on their cocktails list ($15 for a margarita on the same order) Go to the Goldfish Bar up the road at Tempus two, they do a free shuttle as well. (saves you having the rude staff downstairs refuse to assist you in ordering a cab as well.)
Cypress lakes has been round a while, but it doesn't have the "big hotel" feel that some of the others do. I stay there several times a year, and don't bother with anything else.

Room Tip: Booking through the hotel - ask for one overlooking the course For better value - check out the pri...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank graphiteoz

Thankyou for posting your feedback on our TP list. Your right the one bedrooms are smaller than our two bedrooms and are best equip for couples travelling rather than spacious lounging. They do still have their own private balcony and living area but are balanced with a lovely ensuite bathroom, that is slightly bigger than our two bedroom villa bathrooms. Location, environment and access are perfect at Cypress Lakes this guest is spot on - our owners were cleaver at selecting the land they build on to ensure we were at the hub of Wine Country. Obviously this was a great stay with a very poor experience in our restaurant and while I can explain things again, I don't want to be a broken record on this feed. This month we have seen some negative comments regarding our restaurant, we are hearing our guests and we are fixing it. Please give us a try again soon and feel free to comment to our management team on site to ensure we continue to make improvements in the direction our guests want us to go, and we find out faster so we can fix it immediately.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is the first place I booked without consulting tripadvisor. This was because I had stayed here some 10 years before and the place was fantastic. I had no hesitation booking this place for a golf weekend in the Hunter Valley for two couples. BIG MISTAKE not checking tripadvisor! I looked it up on my phone on the first night, and I knew I wasn't alone right away! I can now rate this as the worst place i've stayed (based on what i thought i was getting). The pictures on the website do not reflect the state of Cypress Lakes.

- On arrival rubbish was outside villa. Enter villa, all the curtains are closed, creating an uninviting environment. The room smelled. There was sauce on the table. There were finger marks all over the window. Hair on fresh towels. All the furniture outdated and stained. I called reception and the lady was very apologetic and eventually offered another room after I pushed despite been "fully booked." (I doubt they were - maybe they don't run all rooms anymore)
- In the new room the curtains were closed again. But at least it was clean and did not smell, but still stained, gross, furniture and a CRT TV, even a dodgy motel has flat screens these days.
- Poor sleep, the bed basically had a steel ridge in the middle.
- The 2nd night we ate at the restaurant. Two of the meals had to be refunded. Basically burnt gnocchi was served and looked like a plate of cockroaches. The other meal came covered in mustard and not as described on the menu. The other 2 meals we paid for but were not really that good. I'll also add, i've never before felt the need to speak to a manager.
- Breakfast was not relaxing! A free for all of a buffet catering for too many people! Imagine lining up in a queue 20 to 30 people long. I'd pay for a better experience and better food.
- I thought the golf course might save the trip but it was in horrendous condition. Played 18 holes, but might as well play at your local public.

I will say the staff I had to deal with were very good. The restaurant manager refunded the meals so quickly I started to think these guys must deal with a lot of complaints. So kudos to them for continuing to work in what I would consider a nightmare.

Room Tip: Choose another resort. Seriously.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karl C

Thankyou for posting your feedback on our TP feed. I am disappointed with your experience of Cypress Lakes from top to bottom this feedback, is less than poor. I understand your frustration with checking in to an obviously less than acceptable villa on arrival. Some of the items like the TV's mentioned in this TP feed are part of our refurbishment and does take time. It does not excuse cleanliness of course and should be addressed with our manager on duty immediately. In regards to our restaurant it has been noted previously that we have just undergone a refurbishment but also appointed a new Executive Chef that is busy working away on new menus' and concepts to match the new facility. Our golf course is a draw card for guests and I can only assume that this guest travelled during the poor season we had for rain in which all hunter course where affected. Thankyou for your comments about our staff they are like all organisations the greatest assets we can have. They are well trained and passionate about the Resorts direction and service culture.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I usually don't like to submit reviews, but I think my experience at Cypress Lakes calls for one. The trip was supposed to be a surprise for my boyfriend, an avid golfer for his birthday. Sadly the resort did not live up to my expectations and certainly does not deserve its title as a 5 star resort.
On arrival to our villa we were greeted with an awful smell that filled the rooms and made it unbearable to sleep in. In addition to this I had spent a little extra to arrange for a romantic "candlelit turndown," this was probably the biggest waste of money as the turndown consisted of approximately 4 tea lights (the ones you might find at the reject shop for 50c) and a dirty oil lamp, which by the looks of it had, had its day. The bus service was however very reliable and we were always greeted by friendly staff who made the experience a little more pleasant. As for the villas that boosted "beautiful views of the Hunter" I cannot help but agree with previous comments that this did not live up to expectations.
Our view of the beautiful Hunter was limited to approximately thirty metres as native trees blocked any chance of taking in the beautiful surroundings.
Overall the experience was disappointing and I would not stay at Cypress Lakes again, unless some serious money was invested in the upkeep and restoring it to its former glory.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren M
PokolbinJulieP, Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am very disappointed that you didn’t have the experience you were hoping for during your stay. I would never expect a guest to stay in a room they felt was ‘unbearable’ and I hope this was raised with staff at front desk (?) so we could rectify the situation immediately by providing an alternative villa for your stay. We are reviewing our additional services, including the ‘candlelit turndown’, I believe it’s important that if we’re going to provide additional services that we do it right and I’m taking on board your feedback as great improvements obviously need to be made to this service in particular. Views from Villa balconies vary depending on location – eg the 700's overlook the valley from high ground looking across our neighbouring vineyards. We are a self rated 5 star resort, and hopefully the refurbishments progressively being made will reflect this – in addition to the recent redesign of our restaurant & bar, work is happening around the resort and a show Villa is on-site for viewing which showcases our refurbishment direction to the accommodation. If you are ever in the area please stop by and check it out, it would be great to get your thoughts on our refurbishment ideas. I must again mention, with 232 villa's built at Cypress Lakes this takes time and unfortunately cannot happen overnight, however we’re working hard to complete the refurbishment ASAP. As an avid golfer I hope your partner had an enjoyable experience on our championship golf course, and I hope once everything is complete you will consider staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Recently booked two villas for a bachelor party weekend. Nice and convenient to use the golf course and the villas were spacious with great facilities. The room service for some soft drink was a bit exhorbitant but the resort was in a good location for pick ups for wine tours, taxis etc. Breakfast was decent but nothing special.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Hope you had a fantastic bachelor weekend and thanks for taking the time to post some feedback on our TP feed. I’m happy to hear our Villas met your expectations and you found the Resort to be in a convenient location to explore the Hunter Valley Region. I’ve passed your feedback on to food and beverage – its great that you found breakfast to be decent, hopefully we can make the right improvements so that at your next stay you find it even more so!
Sales & Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
1.3 km away
1.8 km away
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!