“Lunch - Nice Vegan bowl & good coffee”
Review of The Autumn Rooms

The Autumn Rooms
Ranked #19 of 657 Restaurants in Newcastle
Price range: US$6 - US$36
Description: At The Autumn Rooms we strive to keep it fresh, local, in season and super tasty. Food, coffee & tea is our thing with breakfast and lunch served all day. We are a relaxed, casual fine dining restaurant in the evening where you can expect to hear soft Jazz in the background and watch Darby Street walk past.
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here today with my wife. We both had a soy flat white and the vegan bowl. Coffee was nice and smooth, vegan bowl was very tasty. Fresh ingredients and felt good after.
I would come back here.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

There's an awful lot of cafes doing breakfast on Darby St, a foodie spot in Newcastle, and lots of people chowing down on any day of the week so perhaps the best rule of thumb when trying a new place is to pick the most crowded rather than do as we did and pick the quietest. The staff were welcoming and the room is very pleasant, service was fast (well, there was hardly anyone there!) and eggs and bacon are pretty standard. And that's what this place is - pretty standard. There's nothing about it that would make me want to go there again, especially since the many other cafes on each side that were doing a roaring trade clearly do things better. The food was fine, although my hot chocolate tasted more like hot milk with a square of Cadbury's waved over the top of it.
Next time we'll follow the crowd.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately wasn't impressed by the autumn rooms when we visited for lunch. To me this is just another dirty Darby street cafe, with dirty tables, birds picking at leftover food left on tables, cold service from the waitstaff, and overall kind of slobby. We had the autumn room breakfast which was extremely average, and the ricotta maple pancakes which were also nothing special. We spent $60 and in my opinion not worth a return visit.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

This place is sleek, stylish and popular. Lets start off with the impressive stuff and then I'll say why they miss out on 5 stars. Service was attentive and polite. The steak and duck were cooked to perfection. The steak especially awesome, medium rare as requested. Juicy. Outstanding. The desserts huge, and super delicious. Presentation of the food simple, elegant.
I was impressed. But they miss out on 5 stars as we waited for just under an hour for mains (we skipped entrée, though the ones we saw coming out looked great). I wouldn't normally quibble about a longish wait at a busy place but the restaurant was not busy when we arrived but filled quickly and SO many tables were getting FOOD when we still waited. I find that odd. Also whilst I have no complaints about the small menu I think overall the main dished lacked an element like a side dish of vegetables.....That would have been nice as an extra menu option. But overall I would recommend you try this place out. The cooking quality was high.
I highly recommend you finish your dinner with a herbal tea. They are tea specialists, and have great teas that will help you relax and digest your meal, and the presentation of the tea is great. In the evening they didn't seem to advertise the tea so much, so ask. They have a huge menu, and tea really is a great way to end a meal.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Lovely little cafe for brunch. I had the pancakes, which were delicious. My friend had the crumpets and still raves about them!

Service was excellent and very friendly. Staff offered to split the bill (Note: similar cafes in the area don't).