“Favourite Indian in Newcastle ”

Surtaj Indian Restaurant
Ranked #148 of 649 Restaurants in Newcastle
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

I need my craving of Indian food satisfied at least once a week and I happen to have tried every curry house in the Hunter region and Surtaj is definitely my go to place.

Their butter chicken is one of the best I've had and I've eaten Indian food around Australia and the UK. My other favourites are the lamb vindaloo, saag paneer and the Bombay prawn curry. The chicken and cheese naan is divine. For entrees I have pretty much tried everything but my favourites are the tandoori chicken tikka and the keema samosa.

The service is always impeccable and the staff are wonderful. Definitely recommend a visit!

1  Thank ms88Sydney

Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Went to this restaurant at 9 pm on friday 9th Oct . we were the only ones there (alarm bells should have rung then).ordered chocken tikka massala for the wife and rogan josh gor myself...well the rogan josh was nothing more than a beef stew,no tomatoes no spice no nothing i have eaten Indian food all round the uk (some very very good curry houses) and in India and the food here can not be descibed in any way shape or form as Indian the service was fine the food was not so save your money because if you ate wanting traditional indian food please go somewhere else

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Was here recently with friends and I'll come back again. Following the closure of Indian Raj on Beaumont St Hamilton, I've now begun to frequent this place. Even though we arrived just after 9pm on a Friday, the service is great and the meals came out in a timely fashion. The ambience of the restaurant is pleasant and its location is quite central. I've rated it average to good because that's what it is. Some of the meals were very good, while some were average. Importantly none were bad.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

I frequent here regularly. I am occasionally tempted by other Indian places but every time I do I walk away disappointed and return to the Surtaj to restore my faith in tasty Indian food.

Try the vindaloo for one of the greatest dishes ever.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

We have been returning to this fine dining restaurant for >10 years and every occasion has been made memorable by the personal attention accorded by the hosts, Ramesh and Meera. The location is great and there is plenty of parking available. The ambience is bright and lively. The seating is relaxed and the music is soothing. The menu has got choices for people of all tastes and the quality and quantity of the serving is top notch. We will keep coming back.