“Birthday bash”

Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Pizza, Street Food
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: MoneyPenny is a contemporary small bar positioned deep within the beating heart of Newcastle’s thriving Honeysuckle precinct - a seductively lit, intimate retreat serving delicious share dishes and whimsical beverages in a playful, yet sophisticated atmosphere.
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

After visiting MoneyPenny twice before, I decided to celebrate my birthday with a bunch of friends here.

Paul and the team were extremely accommodating from the booking enquiry to the end of the night.

Everyone absolutely raved about the food and atmosphere. I think I may have created some new MoneyPenny followers!

We were able to try the sliders, gyoza, bao, arancini, prawn pizza, and my favourite, the pork belly bites. Some of my friends ordered mocktails for me which the bar made with no problem!

Thanks guys :-)

Paul D, Owner at MoneyPenny, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Hi GypsyR,

Thank you SO SO much for the lovely words.
I'm so glad we got to help you celebrate your birthday and I'm really stoked your friends enjoyed the experience as well..!

We look forward to welcoming you all again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

What an awesome little gem we've stumbled upon! We were so lucky to snag a table here for Mother's Day.
The decor is fab, and the staff welcoming.
I really enjoyed my seafood paella (squid cooked to perfection), my husbands garlic pizza was delish and the kids devoured the cheeseburger sliders and generous portion of string shoe fries. But my oh my...how sensational is this ginger and pink grapefruit martini!!!!!
Looking forward to our next visit in a couple of weeks.

Paul D, Owner at MoneyPenny, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Hi TCS,

Aww, that's so nice of you..!
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.
We are thrilled you enjoyed everything and we look forward to welcoming you all again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

Fabulous location, friendly service and yummy food.
This is a ideal place for lunch, a light meal and/or drinks, very informal but yet friendly atmosphere. Recommend

Paul D, Owner at MoneyPenny, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2017

Hi Clara,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some lovely feedback.
We are stoked you enjoyed everything and we look forward to welcoming again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

Thank you to Paul and the team at MoneyPenny. We held two birthday parties at MoneyPenny over the past week, one for our family and one for our friends. On both occasions the kitchen and bar teams went absolutely out of their way to make sure the food and service were on point. They were friendly but appropriate in going about their job to ensure that everything ran seamlessly. Everybody left both parties saying what a fabulous party but it was all thanks to the menu, drinks and friendly staff. Thank you to the chef who advised on our menu choices and thank you to the prompt and friendly bar staff who kept our party area organised at all times. The food and drinks were great and we highly recommend MoneyPenny for a party venue.

Paul D, Owner at MoneyPenny, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

Hi Lady_lunchal0t,

Thank you SO MUCH for the amazing feedback, it means a tremendous amount to everyone involved here. We are so glad you enjoyed and appreciated everything!

We look forward to welcoming you all again soon.

Biggest smiles and best wishes,

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Money Penny is a bar not a restaurant...food entrees and main we're too fatty....thought a romantic atmosphere for hubby and I to have annual date night. NOT!

2  Thank Jane W
Paul D, Owner at MoneyPenny, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2017

Hi Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback on your annual date night with “hubby”, it’s so nice to hear from you again after our delightful encounter last night.

I can appreciate that you thought you were being romantic and carefree going out for dinner to a waterfront establishment on a beautiful Saturday night. How irritating that hundreds of other people also had the same idea, ruining any chance for the private and secluded ambience you had envisaged. As much as a business like us would love to rely on the cash flow that a table for 2 who goes out one night a year generates, unfortunately my accountant tells me it’s just not the case. We need to have lots of happy people, a lot of the time.

Now, I already spoke at length with Hubby regarding your romantic menu selections and he had the following feedback:
Buffalo Wings – “Too hot”. Yes, Buffalo Wings are designed to be spicy.
Salted Squid – “That dish was OK”.
Burger – “The meat was ordinary”. Yet the ENTIRE thing was consumed?
Pork Belly – “It was too fatty”. Yes, pork belly is a fatty cut of meat, blame God, not us.

Now when Hubby brought this to my attention, we were extremely busy at the bar and I was unable to come and personally inspect your meal as I could see you were leaving anyway. As much as it was against my regular modus operandi, I said to Hubby: “now I don’t want you to leave unhappy, would it make things acceptable if I was to refund your money, would that be OK?” He gladly obliged and accepted the refund with an open wallet, even attempting a joke with me at this stage about “angry Chefs”.

We served a couple of hundred meals yesterday and your table was the only table that had a problem with not only one thing, but apparently everything. After you left, we tried to inspect what was left of your meals but the burger had been eaten, as had the squid. You had eaten half of the Buffalo Wings and the Pork Belly was pulled apart almost as if you were searching for a lost contact lens that had fallen into your dinner, but there was nothing at all wrong with the dish.

If I can make a suggestion; perhaps you and Hubby should eat out more than once every 365 days to get a better idea of common items you might encounter on food menus, I would hate for you to have the same problem again next year on date night.

It is interesting to note that you joined TripAdvisor yesterday, purely in an attempt to tarnish our hard-earned reputation and to rubbish the very restaurant that you ate at free-of-charge after being refunded your bill.

How very romantic, and thrifty.

Big smiles and best wishes.
Paul Davies and The Team @ MoneyPenny