“What an incredible place - a must do when in NZ”
Review of Doubtful Sound

Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Mackay, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What an incredible place - a must do when in NZ”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We visited Doubtful Sound with Real Journeys in Sept 2011. We did the overnight trip, and I highly recommend it to all. We were tossing up between Milford and Doubtful as we didn't have time for both. We made the right decision with Doubtful - spectacular.

Visited September 2011

65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“A stunning place”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The visit to the power station at Manapouri and the excellent guide who was passionate about the wildlife and the environment made the trip.
The weather was brilliant and we even went out into the Tasman to look at the Seals.

Visited February 2012
Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I did an overnight tour with one of the smaller companies based on reviews here and advice from people I met while traveling.
The pros of this are you get a more personalised trip and are able to get closer to the attractions.
The cons are that you may end up having a large booking on your trip of travelers from overseas from one country who while not deliberately excluding you prefer to speak their native language.
The scenery is spectacular, but unfortunately I had two days where it was rainy and foggy so I didn't get to see everything in its full glory. That said what I did see was spectacular.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank 13RD4
Rapperswil, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing - one of the highlights of my holiday”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I did the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise with Realjourneys. The organisation was exemplary. I went on the kayaking trip, joined in the swimming, all perfectly arranged. The food was very good, and there was plenty of it. Staff were always friendly and helpful. But of course, the star of the show was the amazing scenery. Unmissable!
I'd do it all again. The only thing I wouldn't bother with would be the lunch pack. I would recommend buying a sandwich in the cafeteria instead. Just as good and much cheaper!

Visited January 2012
Dunedin, New Zealand
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“The BEST”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had been in Milford Sound twice, but never in Doubtful Sound, ad the reason was the higher price of the latter. When I ended up visiting Doubtful Sound I was even more impressed than with Milford Sound, because this one is three times bigger, and moreover you have an amazing trip across Manapouri lake, which I didn´t think it was especially impressive from the shore. Once you cross most of the lake you understand why people say it is that wonderful. Doubtful Sound is undoubtely worth it parying for the trip, as you won´t get to see something like that anywhere else in a warm place of the Southern Hemisphere

1 Thank DiegoUG