“Must do adrenaline activity!”
Review of Queenstown Rafting

US$253.66*
Queenstown Shotover River Helicopter Ride and White Water Rafting
US$340.46*
and up
Queenstown Triple Challenge (Jet Boat Ride, Helicopter and White Water Rafting)
More attraction details
Owner description: Action packed white water rafting with the largest rafting operator in New Zealand. With over 30 years experience on the Shotover and Kawarau rivers, Queenstown Rafting continue to thrill customers with fun and adventure rafting. No prior rafting experience necessary and operating year round with experienced guides, all equipment and a hot sauna and shower at the end.Upgrades to helirafting also available as well as combos with bungy, skydive, canyon swing and jetboating. For the ultimate adventure check out the reviews from the multiday rafting options on the Landsborough.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sydney, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Must do adrenaline activity!”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Our journey down the Shotover River was amazing, a fantastic experience, such a buzz and an adrenaline ride. The journey began in the bus ride from the Shotover base travelling through Skippers Cannyon which is a must do on its own. The road is one of the scariest I have ever travelled but it was amazing and can only be accessed with Queenstown Rafting. The road is famous for its twists and turns, tight corners and cliff edges which we travelled very closely to. The journey was about 45 mins and provided spectacular if not hairy and scary views of Skippers Cannyon. The gravel road all adds to the excitement which was building. The commentary and safety briefing along the way provided by one of the guides made the trip even more enjoyable and very humorous. I think his deliberate and well rehearsed humour took our minds off the rugged journey we were experiencing. Arriving at the Shotover River rafts were launched, a safety briefing given and we were on our way. The picturesque and serene journey, mixed with excitement of the rapids was amazing. It was so much fun. We were on the water for about 2 hours and were lucky enough to be there after it had rained so the river was flowing nicely. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Visited January 2012
QueenstownRafting, Manager at Queenstown Rafting, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Great comments thanks and yes the road is very much part of the trip, certainly one of the highlights when you read all these reviews. I'm never quite sure what is more exciting: the drive or the rafting - Although I suppose it depends on what gets your heart going - heights or white water? Must ask that question on our facebook page and find out ....

Adelaide, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not for the faint hearted in bad weather.”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have rafted before and was looking foward to our afternoon based on what friends said that went the day before.
The night before it had rained heavily and we were advised that the river was fast by the guides. By the time we reached the start point it started to rain and the weather did get worse. Although the levels were under the point of cancellation, our guide did make us fully aware that the river was rising and went through all the safety checks with us.
Unfortunately for our boat it flipped on the first rapid throwing all six of us in. I hit the rocks on my left side and banged my arm before being dragged under the boat. Thankfully, the guide had prepared us for scenarios like this so was aware to find the airpocket and keep my feet up so as not to catch on to something underneath. I bobbed up when we went over the next rapid and was pulled back into the boat by my husband and a guide who had managed to flip it back.
We landed in a beach area so the guides could treat a lady who was hurt, waited for the other boats to come through and waited some time for the river to die down. Eventaully the helicopter had to be called in for her and another lady with chest pains. I knew that I had hurt myself and did let the guides know as I could feel the lump on my arm under my wetsuit - but pretty much got the "she'll be right" responce.
Not much fun rafting when you're sure you have a fractured arm, but the female guide that we had was outstanding. She knew I was hurt, kept me calm and looked after me at the end.
I don't think it was until I took the wetsuit off and they saw the bruise and lump that they realised I had a problem - filled in the incident report and then the Manager drove us straight back to town so I could get medical attention.
Overall, not the most positive experience. Had it been the day before I think I would have loved it and then would not have had the rest of my trip with a bandaged arm. My only advise is to make sure you can swim and just keep your eye on the weather.
On the positive - the ride down is simply breathtaking! Try to get a seat on the right side to make the most of the views.

Visited November 2011
QueenstownRafting, Manager at Queenstown Rafting, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Hi Rebecca
Thanks for your review and for rafting with us. Safety is our utmost concern, we have a great bunch of staff who are dedicated to making the trips as enjoyable and safe as possible. Occasionally rafts flip and the odd bumps and bruises can result (such as in your case unfortunately) so staff work hard to ensure risk is minimised and people looked after as well as possible.
I'm sorry to hear you hurt your arm and hope you have recovered well and were able to enjoy the rest of your holiday in NZ.
Feedback is appreciated as we are always looking at ways to keep improving but also pleased to be able to pass positive comments on to our staff.
Perhaps if you are back this way again, do let us know and we'd love to get you and your husband down the river again and let you experience it on difference conditions.
Thanks again
Melbourne, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“White water fun!!”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My boyfriend and myself white water rafted on the Shotover River and had so much fun!! The staff are very professional and take you extensively through the safety procedures which gave us peace of mind that we were in safe hands. We were on the river for nearly 2 hours and I was sad when it had finished. The river was very low as Queenstown has not had a lot of rain lately however it was still a great experience; a big credit to the team who make the most out of the river. Not only do you get the thrill of the rapids, it is a great chance to experience the beautiful canyons in Queenstown.

Visited January 2012
Yes we have been blessed with an awesome summer (don't tell them in Auckland or Sydney as they will be very jealous) which means the river is running lower than it normally is this time of year. Incidentally it runs very high in Spring (Sept/Oct/Nov) after all the snow melt , however it is still a great trip at any time of year. The guides work hard to make it enjoyable and share their "office" with everyone so they will pleased to hear your comments.
Mandurah, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best Rafting Trip So Far.”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have been rafting before but this is in a class on its own. Scenery down the Shotover river is top notch the rapids were at times challenging but not that scary just right really and the best bit was at the end when you come out of the tunnel. Plus Skippers Canyon Road was a adventure in itself before you get there!!!!

Visited December 2011
Thanks Dave - we love sharing this special part of the world, so we're pleased you enjoyed not only the scenery but the rafting too
Sydney, Australia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“What a great afternoon!”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I really enjoyed the whole experience. They are a very professional company and our guide was very entertaining. The "road" along to Skippers Canyon is not for the faint hearted! The rafting was great fun and with more water would have been even better. This is a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon.

Visited January 2012
Fantastic that you enjoyed the whole trip, yes we'd like more rain for the river too. It's running lower than normal at this time of year, however it's still a great, fun trip and the amount of 5 star reviews above are testimony to that. Thanks I'll pass your comments on to the team.