“Good Burger. Is it worth the hype?”
Review of Fergburger

Fergburger
Ranked #8 of 28 Quick Bites in Queenstown
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My wife had told me about Fergburger and after seeing the constant long line of waiting customers and reading the rave reviews I was curious to see if it was worth the hype.
We were in Queenstown for 5 days and every time we were in town we walked past Fergburger to check the line. It goes against all my beliefs and principles to wait in line too long for any food so we decided several times that the lines were too long. Finally on our last morning we bit the bullet and waited in what was a relatively short line, still around 20 minutes wait to order though.
I ordered the Deluxe Fergburger with Fries and waited another 20-25 minutes for my order to arrive. In that time we were fortunate enough to watch the production line of burgers coming off the grill. I have to say I've seen some pretty busy burger bars that were well organised and Ferg were similar although I thought their whole process could have been better which may actually ease the wait time and queues but the staff certainly seemed to enjoy themselves and it wasn't completely disorganised.
After a 45 minute wait from joining the line to actually having my burger in my hand I took my first bite of the much hyped, eagerly awaited Fergburger. It was good, quite good. The burger is well layered and very tasty, good crunchy bun and sauces were perfectly proportioned. The pickles and cheese and bacon were also just enough. The patty was ok, a bit bland, nothing special, I've definitely had more tasty patties. The way the different flavours are constructed is impressive but the blandness of the patty lets it down.
The huge disappointment of the whole meal though were the fries, half cold and not salted at all, not very crunchy and below average at best. The meal of burger and fries was quite filling though.
Would I wait in line again for a Fergburger? No.
Would I eat a Fergburger that someone else had waited in line to get for me? Yes, absolutely.
Is Fergburger worthy of the queues that wait outside? In my opinion, no.
Did Fergburger live up to my expectations given the hype? Unfortunately no.
All in all I enjoyed my burger but was disappointed in my fries and given the wait time and constant long queues I did expect to have the best burger I'd ever eaten but instead I got a tasty, well constructed burger that I feel I could've gotten anywhere.
Fergburger could actually be a much better experience for everyone if they had a larger premises which would give them the room and capacity to eliminate the excessive wait time but maybe they don't want that, maybe that would eliminate the hype. Who knows.

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (12,643)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had a large group of 10 so we rang ahead and ordered our burgers. We picked them up no problem and returned to our unit a short walk away to eat them. Everyone was very happy with their choice and we can highly recommended them. Every time we walked past the store there was a long long line. Never waited to see how swiftly it moved but can defiantly recommend the quality of the food.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I thought everyone was crazy waiting in line so long but this is the best burger I have ever had. Well worth the wait. The French Fries are fresh cut and really yummy. Don't miss this place.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I’m not sure if these are the best burgers in the world, but they are very, very good! The wait time is well managed by the staff. Don’t even try to place a phone order during peak times as they do not pick up.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We checked out the burger restaurant, the ice cream shop and the bakery and they were all delicious.

The lines can seem pretty long at times but the lines go by fast. The way the ordering set is allows them to keep the lines rolling. I would recommend getting one burger and splitting it cause they're huge. I ate an entire burger and felt super full all day.

At the bakery I tasted their cream donut and it was so good.

The ice cream is amazing. Keep your receipt from the burger joint cause it has a coupon you can use at the ice cream shop.

Date of visit: March 2018