“Great place to have a nice drink”

The Gaslight Taverna
Ranked #149 of 1,019 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$7 - US$11
Description: A hip shipping container bar that depicts the post earthquake recovery in Christchurch, serving a selection of New Zealand beers and wines. Street food is available from The Gaslight Foodcourt which sells dumplings, sushi, tacos, noodles, paninis and kebabs, and can be eaten in the bar with a drink purchased from the bar. A selection of Kiwi food including pies and spagetti and corn on toast are available.
Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

When you are in Christchurch, have your drinks here. Good atmosphere, nice drinks, uber friendly staff.

There are newer reviews for The Gaslight Taverna

Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

Great place to relax in the centre of Christchurch, friendly staff, great atmosphere. Helping small business post earthquake. The Steinlager on tap taste good. You can get a drink and eat the food of the other business in the same spot.
I paid for my beer and gave him a few change and he told me that he can't accept the 10c silver coin they don't use it anymore, oh I didn't know that so I told ok if someone give it to me I should refuse it, he said so kindly don't worry about the 10c its all good. Friendly staff :)

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

This is a quirky little pub that was built post earthquake using a shipping container. They are so friendly and nice and you can bring in any food you like from the food court and re start mall. If it gets cold there are snuggly blankets and if it's pretty hot out you can find shelter from the sun. Barman is very friendly and they have a great selection of drinks including lots of craft beers from NZ which were new to me as we are from ireland but was so excited to try out. Barman gave me a great insight into the different drinks on offer and gave me a small taste of the draft beers on tap when I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted.

Also got introduced to kiwi chip and dips... Delicious!!!

Overall excellent atmosphere, really enjoyed it and will definitely be back if we return to Christchurch.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

A fantastic little bar in Christchurch city centre right next to the restart mall. We strolled around Christchurch and stopped at the Gaslight taverna for refreshments at lunch and watched life happen around us. We could bring food, purchased from the restart mall food court nextdoor, back to the bar to enjoy with our drinks . An extremely happy chatty barman and warm blankets for those chilly afternoons made this bar top of out list and returned later in the day after our exploration of Christchurch city. Worth the visit for lunch or evening drinks or both!! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Nice little corner amongst the food carts, and allows the food from nearby to be eaten within their licensed area.

Also excellent range of choices to drink. We came over from Perth, AU so was good to see Little Creatures on the menu next to all the classics.

Barman was polite and no issues with the beer pour either!