“Lovely place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Thistle Guest House
Ranked #55 of 134 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Malaysia
“Lovely place to stay!”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at Thistle.Nice cosy & spotlessly clean room, great facilities, great location within walking distance to Countdown supermarket, shopping mall, eateries and a very nice and hospitable owner,John who is always there to assist whenever needed. Excellent service! I would thoroughly recommend this guest house to all travellers out there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JacqieMalaysia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our flight in from Wellington was delayed and John was very accomodating to pick us up from the airport at 11pm. He even showed us some of the restaurants nearby as well as the supermart while on the way to the guest house.

The room was cosy and warm! As we had yet to decide on a place to stay on our last day of holidays, we decided to come back to stay again. John's wife (we supposed she was) was equally nice, as I had some problems, she was ready to provide assistance if needed.

I will greatly recommend this guest house!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I just got back from my honeymoon in Australia and New Zealand. We stayed here in Christchurch and it was great. The price was fantastic and the service was wonderful. The location was great (really close to the bus and park). We were picked up right from the airport, which was nice, and enjoyed the nice facilities. Our room was very clean and we LOVED having our own mini-fridge and warm shower!

Room Tip: Go for your own bathroom. It's great!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My work with a large not-for-profit took me to Christchurch in the aftermath of the February 2011 earthquake. Prepared to sleep in an evacuation centre, I was pleased to discover that I had been booked into a little guest house local to our offices, along with one or two colleagues.

The Thistle guest house was reminiscent of many little hotels I stayed in as a child with my parents back in Ireland. Originally, it appears, a large house, it was converted into a small hotel back in the sixties or seventies. John and Alison bought it some time ago and run it as a small friendly guest house.

John himself welcomed myself and a colleague when we arrived quite late one night. He carried my backpack upstairs for me, saw to it himself that we were settled in, and booked us a taxi for the following morning. I needed to move rooms the following day to a single room, to make space for some more colleagues. I didn't have to lift a finger. I had left my bags packed in the morning, and when I came back in the evening John and Alison had moved all my belongings down the hall to a single room.

I spent nine days in total with John and Alison. My room was cosy, warm and comfortable, even though it was likely the smallest room in the place. I never had a problem with the shared facilities, which were kept spotless at all times. Although we were on a main road, the windows were double-glazed which meant (tremors notwithstanding) a good night's sleep every night.

Fresh milk was provided in my little fridge for my morning cup of tea, and John and Alison were most helpful in other ways. We had a colleague who was not well, and they gladly kept an eye on him for us during the day while he was poorly. John regularly popped up and down to our offices with room keys for newcomers. There is a kitchen and lounge room for the use of all guests, and a washing machine too.

I am pretty sure that they did not charge our organisation for all the rooms they provided to us.

Location-wise the guest house was great for working people. Within less than three minutes' walk was a big supermarket and any number of Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Italian and other eateries. The local garden centre did a lovely breakfast too. There is a bus that runs past the door that goes straight into the CBD.

With the long hours I was working, and the ongoing earth tremors, there was enough uncertainty and difficulty about my trip to Christchurch, but at least my accommodation was comfortable, safe and welcoming. John and Alison are just lovely people, they make all of their guests really welcome, and I can't say enough about how cosy and friendly my stay was. I cannot recommend the Thistle Guest House enough.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mairead D
Colorado
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed here just one night in room with ensuite bath. Would definitely stay again. Very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple