All reviewshagley parksingle roomcommon roomfree wifireception hoursexcellent kitchenlarge loungecity centrecanterbury museumcommunal kitchenold housebeautiful parkhomely feelcommunal areaselectric blanketsquiet locationbotanical gardens
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Dorset House Backpackers is peacful and comfortable with clean spaces and huge kitchen but a bit far from supermarkets. Staff are friendly and service mind. I would love to stay here again if I come backto Christchurch.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Hi Brown_asa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

We are so happy to hear that our staff looked after you and you found the hostel peaceful and comfortable :-)

We are approximately 17 minutes-walk from the nearest supermarkets, however, we are conveniently right in the middle of the Blueline bus route. The Blueline can take you to Fresh Choice Central (literally right outside the bus interchange), Fresh Choice Merivale and also South City Mall which has a New World. Alternatively, we have convenience stores, petrol stations and a larger dairy within 5 minutes walks for basic grocery items.

Thanks again for staying with us, we would love to host you again if you return to Christchurch :-)

Reviewed 6 May 2018

I stayed at the backpackers for two nights and absolutely loved my stay there. Working in the hospitality industry myself, I tend to have a very scrutinized view about the places where I stay. But at the Dorset Backpacker I could not find any mistakes.

The staff were lovely and helped me out a lot whilst I was making my reservation, and I could not have thanked them enough.

The Lounge Area seems very welcoming and comfortable, and there are various activities provided as well for groups and individuals.

The Rooms were very clean and well equipped and met all the expectations that I expected it to provide. It was worth every dollar I spent on it.

Lastly, but not least the location of the backpackers is just perfect. It is pretty close to the town center and major attractions, and as Hagley Park is just across the road it makes a perfect place to go for a walk. Close to the backpackers, you shall also find a fuel station and some restaurants and pubs within walking distance, also it is close to other parts of the city such as Riccarton, which makes it very convenient to do any activities in and around the city.

Thank you Dorset House for such a wonderful stay and in helping me enjoy my adventure in Christchurch. =D Sure to comeback.

- Justin

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your very kind and detailed review!

We are super flattered by your remarks - I will definitely be passing this on to the rest of our team.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Christchurch, we would certainly love to have you stay again in future :-)

Dorset house Backpackers

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Only been here for one week so far and I’ve extended for a few more while I job hunt. Staff are very polite and friendly, hostel is very clean and the kitchen is brilliant. Would recommend to anyone!!

Stayed: May 2018

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for leaving us such a lovely review.

It's been a pleasure to have you staying with us :-)

Warm Regards

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed in a 6 bed dorm, the beds were all singles no bunks! The room was fine, a light and plugs for each bed. There was lots of bathrooms, nice, spacious and they had hair dryers! The kitchen was slightly small for all the guests, but lots of fridge space and hobs. They offered free tea,coffee and lots of other spices etc. The communal area was the best I've seen in a hostel. Very spacious with pool table, games, tv, books and dvds! Location was good only a short 10 min walk to city centre and the hostel had lots on info on activities and restaurants! I would stay again really enjoyed my stay here!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Hi Nina B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your stay with us in the 5- bed dorm :-)

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all of our various facilities and our handy location. We do indeed have a lot of information about activities and restaurants in the area, we feel this is important for our guests to make the most of their time in our great city!

Thank you for choosing your stay with us in Christchurch, all the best with the rest of your adventures.

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Homely feel, stayed 3 nights had a lovely time. Made me feel like i was stepping into someone’s home and it was so peaceful. Staff made you feel special and would go the extra mile for you, the receptionist booked an Uber for me as I’d lost my phone and was due to pick it up. Such a lovely, refreshing change to hostels.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Hi Bethanyboo567,

Thank you so much for your glowing review.

It as lovely to hear that our staff went the extra mile to help you out, we are always striving to give our guests the best hostel experience - so happy to see this was reflected during your stay :-)

Wishing you all the best with your future travels