All reviews hagley park single room huge lounge common room quiet side street reception hours free wifi excellent kitchen city centre canterbury museum shared bathroom homely feel beautiful park communal kitchen enjoyed my stay botanical gardens old house
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve tried several hostels here in Christchurch while staying at the South Island in the last months. This one is definitely my favorite. It’s clean, cozy, the staff is super friendly and the kitchen well equipped. Especially for me as a solo traveler it was super easy to meet other people here. And even without a car I’m able to reach everything in the city by walking.
Definitely recommend this one :)

Trip type: Travelled solo
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Hi Johannes H,

Thank you for your lovely review- it has been an absolute pleasure to have you stay!

We are indeed in a good location with most sites within walking distance.

We are so flattered to hear that we were your favourite hostel in the South Island. I will pass all of your kind words on to the rest of the team :-)

Wishing you all the best with your future adventures

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely and very comfortable hostel directly at Hagley Park and close to the Botanical Gardens. Nice rooms, single beds!, very clean, well equipped kitchen, super friendly and helpful reception staff. And the house itself is just beautiful. I would definitely stay there again!

Trip type: Travelled solo
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi Alexandra B,

Thank you for your kind 5 star review, we are so happy to hear that enjoyed your stay at Dorset House! We think the house is very beautiful too.

We would love to have you stay again

Warm Regards

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Very friendly staff. I initially booked two nights but extended my stay twice on the last day and they arranged that I didn't have to move rooms, so excellent service!

The hostel is clean and has a really nice atmosphere which make you feel very at ease.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi Lilian K,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

We are always more than happy to arrange for you to stay in the same room when extending whenever it’s possible- makes it easier for you and us too

Glad to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness and atmosphere of the hostel too!

Wishing you all the best with the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This charming old house is a well placed base to explore Christchurch. It is in a quiet street which is nice. Communication prior to arrival was Good, with a shuttle being booked and the envelopes for check in worked well. Everything was clean and comfortable. The lounge was a great size. The kitchen was well equipped but the stove tops need replacing as they are very slow. The bed was comfortable and the the shower very powerful and hot. The staff were friendly. The reception hours proved a bit tricky as a fuse in the kitchen blew and there was only one working socket for everyone to use, delayed breakfast the next morning and no way of contacting anyone (an email was sent) as no one on site or no telephone no provided which I think is not ideal. The only place in 6 wks of my travels where there was not a member of sleep in staff. Not sure what would happen if you lost your key etc. Also if there is a guest who is troublesome, other guests would be left to deal with it. A really nice base to explore Christchurch.

Hi Supersunshine,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are really thrilled to hear that you found communication from our staff made your arrival run smoothly and that you found our hostel clean and comfortable

We appreciate your feedback regarding our staffing hours. I would like to clarify some things regarding this. The hostel is fully staffed 7 days a week from 9am-5pm- we are here to help in these hours if any there are maintenance or other issues. We have emergency contact details on the reception shutter doors if anything should arise after-hours that needs urgent attention. Unfortunately, our electrician was not available in the evening, but he came in to replace a power point the following day. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. The email provided, and our Facebook inbox are however monitored frequently. The hostel owners also live on site, if there were any loud or disruptive guests they would manage this appropriately to maintain a relaxed a quiet atmosphere, as we are not a party backpackers.

Thanks again for your helpful feedback, we wish you all the best with your trip around New Zealand

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The room is very clean, The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom and kitchen are clean and nice feeling to use them. The hostel is a warm and cozy place to stay. I booked two nights on arrival, and after traveling two months, I booked one night before I left Christchurch. I came back because the place is great.

Room tip: You have a choice between private rooms and dorms.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi Gevaorly,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind review.

How lovely to hear that you found the hostel warm, cosy and clean- that is exactly what we strive for. Always great to see a familiar face again at the end of your trip, thank you for choosing us again!

Wishing you all the best with your future travels.

Warms Regards,