“Overall good”

Base Wellington Backpackers
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Overall good, close to the center of the city. Big hostel, big kitchen etc. But the rooms or at least the room I was in was too small as there was not enough room for the luggage. So maybe put a closet or something to put the luggage in so there can be placed more luggage in a small space. But for me the place was too big, I prefer the smaller 'friendly' hostels. But they had enough facilitys and even a bar. It was good enough for the price (discounted at that day for some reason) but not my style of hostel as it was really factory styled etc.

Room Tip: Do not do room 307, it was very small dorm room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Ness_Robinson, General Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we're glad for the most part you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We was there as part of Kiwi experience bus which took us to some "factory-styled" hostels like Base, Nomads! The bathroom here was great, clean and warm (you know what i mean when you have to use shared bathroom over the winter). So 5 stars for the bathroom here!!! Also, I appreciate their spacious living rooms which are decorated quite cool/ characteristic!

Nonetheless, I honestly did not enjoy Base, either in Wanaka or in Wellington. The room i got in Wellington is spacious and clean, beds are well organized, however there were no window and although there was a fan and an air filter in the room, the room was not that fresh (smelt like someone did smoke there). We had to keep the door open for some fresh air!

I also don't like the extra charge when we use credit card! In a country where you can pay with cards every where even with few dollars and even with taxi, charging extra for credit cards is, for me personally, ridiculous! If you chose to stay in hostel, it did mean you were expected to share the room with many other people so carrying cash is not an ideal ideas, and you are charged for credit cards! This also means international traveler have to bear double transaction fees for using credit cards :(

We got free drink vouchers and free dinner option but we did not take it, because we heard from other passengers that they were not that good!! (We did experience free stuffs at Nomads Queenstown, not great though)

Thank you!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank aheocona

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we're sorry there were concerns with your stay! We are aware of the concerns surrounding the windows and we are in the process of getting these fixed, apologies for any inconvenience caused! We're glad however there were elements of your stay that you enjoyed and we will take all your feedback on board!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The Staff were excellent and were keen to help with anything we needed. We felt very safe and it was a relaxed stay. We only stayed one night but would have liked to stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Base is the perfect location in the cbd right next to Courtney Place.
We had a nice and clean room looking out over the harbour! Cheap and delicious food and drinks in the Basement Bar. It is the perfect spot if you are on a budget as the other restaurants and bars in the city can be a bit pricey. Thanks Base Wellington it was an epic stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Ness_Robinson, General Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2017

First impressions of Base Backpackers Wellington was good.
The building is a charming art deco former post office, the foyer was warm and welcoming, the staff greeted me in a friendly manner and were really lovely.
I stayed in one of the sanctuary women's only rooms on the 7th floor. The room was clean but the layout was terrible, the 2 sets of bunk beds were squeezed together in such a way that you could not have the under bed storage open at the same time or navigate to your bed if someone was by theirs. The strange thing is there was plenty of room to rearrange so it was more accessible. The Bunk beds were far too low, I am a short person but I could not even sit on the lower bunk and hit my head on the low upper bed several times over the 2 nights I stayed.
My key card failed to work twice which meant a trip down 7 floors to get it fixed, which wasn't so bad the first time but the second time I was only wearing Pyjamas and had gone to use the toilet, so had to go all the way to the reception in barely any clothes to get the card fixed again. It was a fairly embarrassing situation.
The showers and taps only work sporadically, often sputtering and stopping and starting and the shower went from hot to cold in the short time it took me to get undressed and jump in, an unpleasant cold shower on a winter morning!
I need to point out again that the staff were amazing and that's the only reason I am giving more than a 1 star. The fact that there are so many issues and the stay is no cheaper than anywhere else means I will not stay there again. And as this seems to be a common theme in Base Backpackers I have stayed at means I will avoid them on future holidays.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Ness_Robinson, General Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Hi there,

We are currently in the process of upgrading some of our bunks as we are aware some are too low! We will also have a look at the configuration of the room and see what we can change. I can only apologise for your key card failing, this can happen for numerous reasons, one of which if it is close to your phone?
Unfortunately we did have some water issues during the time of your stay and again I apologise for this as we're aware this isn't ideal!

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we take all feedback seriously and will look to rectify your concerns asap!