“Birthday dinner”

Cuba Street Bistro
Ranked #41 of 1,070 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cuba St Bistro is one of the city's cosiest, world class, hidden gems. BYO your own wine in a European setting with excellent service and food.
Reviewed 21 June 2018

We had a lovely meal here for our son's birthday. Everyone was happy with their choicde of dish and it was great to find somewhere nice open on a Monday night. I thought the person that served us seemed a little shy or inexperienced - we had to ask to place our order and we never got asked if we would like more drinks once we were finished our first drink! I would recommend it to friends as a good place for a casual meal.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Even though they were busy the food was beautifuly cooked. I had a wonderful duck pistachio roulade with rocket and courgettes that were lightly cooked. Followed by a super moist chocolate torte with sorbet. We have been several times and the food is consistently good.

1  Thank Jill F
Reviewed 21 May 2018

I never want to blame wait staff/chefs. When something is real wrong in a restaurant, the blame should be placed on owners/managers. We went for brunch on Sunday morning, there were 5 other tables besides ourselves inside the cafe, in the 55 mins of waiting for our food only 2 tables got their food. All customers were exchanging frustration at the long wait for such a quiet place, with no explanation. I have worked in hospo for over ten years and always sympathize with hospo staff when I'm out myself. I totally understand people can be new, or people can be out of their depth, but maybe a warning at how long the food would take before we sat down or communication during the wait regarding what was going on would have gone a long long way. :) We left before our food had come because quite frankly we were starving, we went to a cute cafe 50 metres along cuba where we were served after a ten minute wait.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

This bistro was newly reopened. We are a group of 12 mature hungry diners. Lovely smiling welcome. Menu was difficult for hungry farmers. Pork knuckle was all skin and fat. Pasta wS cold and tasteless. Steak was stewing steak. Very tough, and served under cooked and in some cases looked like cats meat. It was supposed to be grilled. And unfortunste experience I hope and a learning curb. Hopefully things will improve.

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Best described as nouvelle French with fresh NZ produce. The new chef has certainly made their mark with an innovative menu, plenty of choice for vegetarian or meat lovers. Very friendly helpful staff.
My gnocchi had been made on the premises and was beautiful with a lovely tomato and anchovy sauce. Followed by a Devine orange panacotta.

1  Thank Jill F