“Stunning views @ Okurukuru”
Review of Okurukuru

Okurukuru
Ranked #19 of 192 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Price range: US$13 - US$17
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Okurukuru Restaurant - the highlight of coastal hospitality. Honest good food prepared by passionate chefs with stunning surroundings .Clifftop view over the Tasman Sea and Mount Taranaki.
Reviewed 1 December 2017

We dropped into the Restaurant for an afternoon beverage after a slow long trip along the coastal road on a drive from South Taranaki to New Plymouth with our son and his partner who live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. I was rather proud to show off the views from this spot.

On arriving the place was empty and we were rapidly seen to by an efficient but somewhat persona lacking staff member who preceded to rush thru our order. My son ordered a beer and when he decided on a glass the beer was poured hastily into a glass causing mainly froth and the final contents tipped in wasting a considerable amount of beer. I requested a wine and when asked what type of wine was available a list was thrust into our faces from which I chose a glass of Okurukuru sav and I can say it was superb.

As we walked to the deck my son's partner commented that she felt the service was overtly rude and I had to agree but I assured her the view was worth it and it certainly did not disappoint. Furthermore the iced chocolates that were served for the remainder of our guests was delicious.

Some constructive feedback would be that efficiency while appreciated needs to be tempered with intuition clearly we were hoping for a time of relaxation for 30 minutes not service akin to going thru a drive thru.

Secondly a smile and some polite conversation would be great especially for visitors not from our country and thirdly please do something about the furniture on the balcony which is in disrepair and could be a health and safety issue if a customer toppled off those seats.

Aside from the disappointing service I would grin and bear it purely for the views and the ambience of the premises a totally gorgeous view on a beautiful Taranaki day and that was something our Australian visitor could not deny.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank DelilahandSamson

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Went for dinner on a Saturday night. You can make reservations online. The ravioli was delicious but the side salad dressing was tasteless to us. Excellent chocolate lava cake. Casual atmosphere with fine dining.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Went here about a week ago and loved it, it is one of the best places I have been for dinner in so long and definitely best in Taranaki. The pork was to die for and the creme brûlée also amazing. Service was faultless didn't get his name but he did a great job. Will recommend and be back

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We had our Family lunch here, there were 8 of us.Our meals were delicious, both mains and desserts. The service was also good.,

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank kandeb2016
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I've come to this restaurant for lunch many times in the last few years with friends and family. As I said to the chef when he was walking the tables "I've never had a bad meal here" and that was absolutely true. Wednesday this week was no exception, with the standout being the strips of fillet steak with mushrooms- my description not doing it justice. The setting and views are spectacular. Always gets my " I'll be back" rating.

Date of visit: September 2017